Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Neophyte Neophyte is offline

Default Using the arrow keys selects text. How do I stop Word doing this?

Using the arrow keys selects text.

(Normally arrow keys will only select text if the shift key is held down at
the same time.)

This is a nuisance, it must be some mode that was switched on by accident.

How do I stop Word doing this, and get the arrow keys to function normally?

Microsoft Office Word 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That happens when you press the F8 (Extend Selection) key. Pressing Esc
turns that mode off.

That can also happen, however, when other software interferes with the
keyboard drive, making Word (and Windows itself, sometimes) think that
you're holding down the shift key. When this occurs, however, you will see
symptoms everywhere, not just in Word. The short-term fix is to press and
release the "stuck" key (Shift, but it happens to me more often with the Alt
key).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible