suzieqong

Default Sections not linked-new section will not start at 1(in mirror marg

I am working with a very old (went through many word versions), yet extremely
large document that I want in book format. The only way I could get my
second page to be a second page when inserted breaks was to use an even page
break. I want the footer to be different in the second section (second page)
from the first page/section. However, with settings of the two section NOT
linked and choosing the "start at" 1 option, section number still starts at
2. Please help!
Carol

I know it sounds backwards, but when you insert a break and select next page,
if you want the footer to be different, you must go to View | Header/Footer
and once you are in the footer, on the Header/Footer toolbar, click on Same
as Previous. Then you should be able to change the footer the way you want
to. I hope this has helped you.

"suzieqong" wrote:

I am working with a very old (went through many word versions), yet extremely
large document that I want in book format. The only way I could get my
second page to be a second page when inserted breaks was to use an even page
break. I want the footer to be different in the second section (second page)
from the first page/section. However, with settings of the two section NOT
linked and choosing the "start at" 1 option, section number still starts at
2. Please help!

Daiya Mitchell

Yes, it still starts at 2 because you inserted an Even Page Break. Thus
Word will only let the number at the beginning of that section be an even
number, because that's what you told it to do.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

suzieqong

Thank you Carol for responding so soon. The advice is very helpful, except
for the fact that I all ready figured out that the sections are automatically
linked. So I had all ready clicked on that to get rid of the "same as
previous". I have even tired deleting the whole second page and then
reinsert is after reformating the first page. Normally the comand of
starting with 1 in a new section works for me, and I don't understand why it
is not working now. The only thing that I think it has something to do with
is the fact that I have mirror margins on to have the book format margins.
If I insert any other kind of break under this mode, it puts the page I want
as 2 to page three. It is really weird.

Thank you again for the fast response.

suzieqong

"suzieqong" wrote:

I am working with a very old (went through many word versions), yet extremely
large document that I want in book format. The only way I could get my
second page to be a second page when inserted breaks was to use an even page
break. I want the footer to be different in the second section (second page)
from the first page/section. However, with settings of the two section NOT
linked and choosing the "start at" 1 option, section number still starts at
2. Please help!

Margaret Aldis

When you have mirror margins set Word assumes you will be duplexing so it
will force even numbers on verso folios (left-hand pages). In other words,
"even" is always even as counted through the document. This is correct
publishing practice - if you have a title page with a blank back the next
page will be counted as either 3 or 1, never 2. To get this you would insert
an *odd* section break.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"suzieqong" wrote in message
I am working with a very old (went through many word versions), yet
extremely
large document that I want in book format. The only way I could get my
second page to be a second page when inserted breaks was to use an even
page
break. I want the footer to be different in the second section (second
page)
from the first page/section. However, with settings of the two section
NOT
linked and choosing the "start at" 1 option, section number still starts
at
2. Please help!

suzieqong

Thank you for the help. Now I feel a little stupid that I didn't think of
that, but do you know then how I can insert a section with mirror margins set
and that word won't through in a whole new page. Even when I do section
break continuous, my second page automatically becomes my third, yet the
blank second page does not show up in the print view. When I notice it is
down on the toolbar on the bottom when it tells you what page you are
currently on or in the Print Preview menu, the extra pages are there (and
they print out).

Thank you again!

suzieqong

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Yes, it still starts at 2 because you inserted an Even Page Break. Thus
Word will only let the number at the beginning of that section be an even
number, because that's what you told it to do.

On 7/28/05 11:31 AM, "suzieqong" wrote:

I am working with a very old (went through many word versions), yet extremely
large document that I want in book format. The only way I could get my
second page to be a second page when inserted breaks was to use an even page
break. I want the footer to be different in the second section (second page)
from the first page/section. However, with settings of the two section NOT
linked and choosing the "start at" 1 option, section number still starts at
2. Please help!

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

suzieqong

I was a little too hasty with my last post to you. I am very greatful for
that information you gave me, but now is still the fact that I want page 2 to
be on the back of page 1, but page 2 to have a page number 1. Because I made
a new odd page section break it starts with the bound margin on the left
bigger. I want page 2 (numbered 1) with the bound margin (largest margin) on
the right. This is not a formal published document. It is of educationaly
activities and page 2 and 3 explain each other and we want the reader to be
able to look at both pages at the same time. I hope I make some sense.

Thank you so much!

suzieoqng

"suzieqong" wrote in message
I am working with a very old (went through many word versions), yet
extremely
large document that I want in book format. The only way I could get my
second page to be a second page when inserted breaks was to use an even
page
break. I want the footer to be different in the second section (second
page)
from the first page/section. However, with settings of the two section
NOT
linked and choosing the "start at" 1 option, section number still starts
at
2. Please help!

Margaret Aldis

If you must I suppose you must, though in this case I'd number page 2 as 2,
and just leave page 1 unnumbered. You could do this with no breaks at all
(by using "Different first page").

The only way to achieve what you want is to use a calculated page number.
Toggle field codes on, and edit {PAGE} to ={PAGE} - 1. Then select the lot
and use Ctrl-F9 to add field brackets around, so it looks like this: {
={PAGE} - 1 }. Toggle field codes back and you'll see one less than the
"real" page number. Note that this won't work if you have a table of
contents or page cross references - they will use the real number.

--

"suzieqong" wrote in message
I am working with a very old (went through many word versions), yet
extremely
large document that I want in book format. The only way I could get my
second page to be a second page when inserted breaks was to use an even
page
break. I want the footer to be different in the second section (second
page)
from the first page/section. However, with settings of the two section
NOT
linked and choosing the "start at" 1 option, section number still
starts
at
2. Please help!

I see my reply from yesterday didn't post (server problems), so I'll repeat
it he

You really really really don't want a verso page to be page 1. This is
against all publishing convention and will just confuse your readers. Your
title page (whether it bears a printed number or not) should be page 1.