Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mogart

Default Strange Word 2003 Open Behavior

Whenever I double click a Word document in Windows Explorer or as an email
attachment, Word opens but does not open the document. I just get a gray
screen for the document.

If, however, I open Word first and then open the document it will open, but
the mouse will not work in the document. The mouse works fine for the
buttons and menus but will not work to hilite text or move the I-bar in a
document nor will the context menu mouse button work. This same problem
occurs in a new document as well. I can do all of these operations using the
keyboard shortcuts.

Other Office 2003 applications like Excel or Powerpoint work fine. Also if
I login in to Windows as a different user Word works correctly.

I'm running on Windows XP Pro, SP2; Office 2003 Pro, SP2.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TW9nYXJ0?=,

Well, we can try the basic trouble-shooting steps, starting Windows and then
Word in SAFE MODE (for Word, hold down the CTRL key when starting it). If the
problem goes away, then you know you're looking for third-party software in
Windows (such as a document management system) or Word (an Add-in) that's
interfering.

FWIW, My inclincation is that it could be the latter...

Whenever I double click a Word document in Windows Explorer or as an email
attachment, Word opens but does not open the document. I just get a gray
screen for the document.

If, however, I open Word first and then open the document it will open, but
the mouse will not work in the document. The mouse works fine for the
buttons and menus but will not work to hilite text or move the I-bar in a
document nor will the context menu mouse button work. This same problem
occurs in a new document as well. I can do all of these operations using the
keyboard shortcuts.

Other Office 2003 applications like Excel or Powerpoint work fine. Also if
I login in to Windows as a different user Word works correctly.

I'm running on Windows XP Pro, SP2; Office 2003 Pro, SP2.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)