Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa

Default Change date format for Comments and display date in balloons

All my documents are set to English (UK).
Is there a way to change the format of the comment date? Mine currently
shows MM/DD/YYYY. I want to show DD/MM/YYYY.

Secondly, can I display the date in the balloons? (next to Commenter's name)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Your documents may be set to UK English but your Windows version isn't. The
date shown is the Windows short date format which is configured in control
panel regional settings.

As for the date in the balloons, I suspect not, though I stand to be
corrected by those who make more use of this function.

Melissa wrote:
All my documents are set to English (UK).
Is there a way to change the format of the comment date? Mine
currently shows MM/DD/YYYY. I want to show DD/MM/YYYY.

Secondly, can I display the date in the balloons? (next to
Commenter's name)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa

Thanks, Graham, for your response.
I just checked Regional Options in Control Panel and English (UK) was
already selected under the "Regional Options" tab. My default Input Language
("Language" tab Details) is English (US) though. But I believe input
language only affects the keyboard layout, right?

I am using Windows XP Professional.

Melissa wrote:
All my documents are set to English (UK).
Is there a way to change the format of the comment date? Mine
currently shows MM/DD/YYYY. I want to show DD/MM/YYYY.

Secondly, can I display the date in the balloons? (next to
Commenter's name)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Did you check the short date format in regional options for that is the date
format that appears in Comments?

Melissa wrote:
All my documents are set to English (UK).
Is there a way to change the format of the comment date? Mine
currently shows MM/DD/YYYY. I want to show DD/MM/YYYY.

Secondly, can I display the date in the balloons? (next to
Commenter's name)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa

Yup, I checked and it's displaying dd/mm/yyyy.
What else can I check?

Melissa wrote:
All my documents are set to English (UK).
Is there a way to change the format of the comment date? Mine
currently shows MM/DD/YYYY. I want to show DD/MM/YYYY.

Secondly, can I display the date in the balloons? (next to
Commenter's name)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Hmmm. The plot thickens
It is clearly a language issue, but I am now no longer certain where to
change it. I don't have a US language set on my PC's language settings and
the only thing that affects this date is the short date setting, so I have
run out of ideas.

Melissa wrote:
All my documents are set to English (UK).
Is there a way to change the format of the comment date? Mine
currently shows MM/DD/YYYY. I want to show DD/MM/YYYY.

Secondly, can I display the date in the balloons? (next to
Commenter's name)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

I am saying just that. My PC is setup for UK language and I get whatever I
have set as the short date format in Windows regional settings. I have
removed the US language from regional settings. I have Greek there (as I
live in a country where Greek is the native language), but that shouldn't
affect the issue.

Melissa wrote:
Are you saying that you use UK too and the date displayed for your
Comments are dd/mm/yyyy?
I'm just wondering if mm/dd/yyyy is the default used by Microsoft and
that can't be changed...

Melissa wrote:
All my documents are set to English (UK).
Is there a way to change the format of the comment date? Mine
currently shows MM/DD/YYYY. I want to show DD/MM/YYYY.

Secondly, can I display the date in the balloons? (next to
Commenter's name)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TWVsaXNzYQ==?=,

Are you saying that you use UK too and the date displayed for your Comments
are dd/mm/yyyy?
I'm just wondering if mm/dd/yyyy is the default used by Microsoft and that
can't be changed...

FWIW, I have my system set with UK at in BOTH halves of this dialog box
(language AND location). The comments on my machine (Office 2003, SP1 & WinXP
SP1) all display dd/mm/yyyy.

I don't see which version of Word you have in any of the messages in this
thread? (It would have to be 2002 or 2003...)

I note, as well, that it makes no difference with which language the text is
formatted. I believe this is controlled at the Windows level.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa

Hi Cindy,
I am using Windows XP Professional and Word 2003.
This is what I've done since your post:
1. Regional Settings in Control Panel: Standards and Formats = English (UK)
2. Location = UK
3. Languages tab Details button: Default input language = English (UK)
4. Clicked OK to go back to previous window - Advanced tab: Language for
non-Unicode programs = English (UK)

I changed everything I see to UK. I even restarted my PC. When I launched
my doc, the comments are still displayed in mm/dd/yyyy. I even created a new
document to test and the results are mm/dd/yyyy.

What else can I do? WHat info can I provide?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TWVsaXNzYQ==?=,

Are you saying that you use UK too and the date displayed for your Comments
are dd/mm/yyyy?
I'm just wondering if mm/dd/yyyy is the default used by Microsoft and that
can't be changed...

FWIW, I have my system set with UK at in BOTH halves of this dialog box
(language AND location). The comments on my machine (Office 2003, SP1 & WinXP
SP1) all display dd/mm/yyyy.

I don't see which version of Word you have in any of the messages in this
thread? (It would have to be 2002 or 2003...)

I note, as well, that it makes no difference with which language the text is
formatted. I believe this is controlled at the Windows level.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The one thing you have not mentioned here is your short date format. On the
Date tab of Control Panel | Regional Options, what is entered for "Short
date format"?

"Melissa" wrote in message
Hi Cindy,
I am using Windows XP Professional and Word 2003.
This is what I've done since your post:
1. Regional Settings in Control Panel: Standards and Formats = English

(UK)
2. Location = UK
3. Languages tab Details button: Default input language = English (UK)
4. Clicked OK to go back to previous window - Advanced tab: Language for
non-Unicode programs = English (UK)

I changed everything I see to UK. I even restarted my PC. When I

launched
my doc, the comments are still displayed in mm/dd/yyyy. I even created a

new
document to test and the results are mm/dd/yyyy.

What else can I do? WHat info can I provide?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TWVsaXNzYQ==?=,

[...]

or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa

Hi Suzanne,
Short date format is displayed as dd/mm/yyyy.
in other applications like Excel, my dates are auto changed to dd/mm/yyyy, I
presume from following my regional settings in Control Panel.

Hope you can help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The one thing you have not mentioned here is your short date format. On the
Date tab of Control Panel | Regional Options, what is entered for "Short
date format"?

"Melissa" wrote in message
Hi Cindy,
I am using Windows XP Professional and Word 2003.
This is what I've done since your post:
1. Regional Settings in Control Panel: Standards and Formats = English

(UK)
2. Location = UK
3. Languages tab Details button: Default input language = English (UK)
4. Clicked OK to go back to previous window - Advanced tab: Language for
non-Unicode programs = English (UK)

I changed everything I see to UK. I even restarted my PC. When I

launched
my doc, the comments are still displayed in mm/dd/yyyy. I even created a

new
document to test and the results are mm/dd/yyyy.

What else can I do? WHat info can I provide?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TWVsaXNzYQ==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Very bizarre.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The one thing you have not mentioned here is your short date format. On

the
Date tab of Control Panel | Regional Options, what is entered for "Short
date format"?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Melissa" wrote in message
Hi Cindy,
I am using Windows XP Professional and Word 2003.
This is what I've done since your post:
1. Regional Settings in Control Panel: Standards and Formats = English

(UK)
2. Location = UK
3. Languages tab Details button: Default input language = English

(UK)
4. Clicked OK to go back to previous window - Advanced tab: Language

for
non-Unicode programs = English (UK)

I changed everything I see to UK. I even restarted my PC. When I

launched
my doc, the comments are still displayed in mm/dd/yyyy. I even

created a
new
document to test and the results are mm/dd/yyyy.

What else can I do? WHat info can I provide?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TWVsaXNzYQ==?=,

[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow

question
or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Melissa,

Well, if I hit this point, and everyone around is saying "it works fine for me",
then my next move would be to boot both Windows and Word in Safe Mode. (To boot
Word 2003 in safe mode, hold down CTRL). If the problem goes away, then you know
that it's something that's been "added" to your configuration beyond the
installation defaults.

Next, since Windows is already in Safe Mode, I'd start Word normally. If the
problem still isn't showing up, then it's something in Windows. If the problem
comes back, we know something is interfering with Word.

I am using Windows XP Professional and Word 2003.
This is what I've done since your post:
1. Regional Settings in Control Panel: Standards and Formats = English (UK)
2. Location = UK
3. Languages tab Details button: Default input language = English (UK)
4. Clicked OK to go back to previous window - Advanced tab: Language for
non-Unicode programs = English (UK)

I changed everything I see to UK. I even restarted my PC. When I launched
my doc, the comments are still displayed in mm/dd/yyyy. I even created a new
document to test and the results are mm/dd/yyyy.

What else can I do?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org