Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
MargaretBartley MargaretBartley is offline

Default Putting a graphic in a tight cell

I'd like my small graphic to be the only item in a cell. There are five
columns in this table, and each row has a graphic in the first column.

When I copy the graphic into the cell, the column widths change, such that
the first column, which has the graphic, and should be 1/2 inch wide (the
width of the graphic) becomes 2 1/2 inches wide, and all the other columns
shrink. I cannot resize that first column.

I've gone through every layout option, none of them allow the column to be
sizeable, and get down to 1/2 inch.

I've tried changing the table's format properties, as well as the column and
cell properties.

I was reading some of the answers to others' questions, and noticed that I
cannot right-click on the graphic and get a Format.. menu item on the
right-click menu.

This is Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

First of all, turn off auto resizing in the table (Table Properties | Table
| Options); this will allow you to set the column width manually if
necessary. Then, in the cell where you want the picture (before inserting
it), set the cell margins to zero (Table Properties | Cell | Options); this
will ensure that the picture completely fills the cell. See if that helps.

"MargaretBartley" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
MargaretBartley MargaretBartley is offline

I found out where it is: in was in the paragraph format! I don't know why
this table, which was created by drawing it with the pencil tool,
automatically created paragraphs with a 2 inch right margin, but that was it!

Thanks for answering, anyway.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

First of all, turn off auto resizing in the table (Table Properties | Table
| Options); this will allow you to set the column width manually if
necessary. Then, in the cell where you want the picture (before inserting
it), set the cell margins to zero (Table Properties | Cell | Options); this
will ensure that the picture completely fills the cell. See if that helps.

"MargaretBartley" wrote in
message ...
I'd like my small graphic to be the only item in a cell. There are five
columns in this table, and each row has a graphic in the first column.

When I copy the graphic into the cell, the column widths change, such that
the first column, which has the graphic, and should be 1/2 inch wide (the
width of the graphic) becomes 2 1/2 inches wide, and all the other columns
shrink. I cannot resize that first column.

I've gone through every layout option, none of them allow the column to be
sizeable, and get down to 1/2 inch.

I've tried changing the table's format properties, as well as the column

and
cell properties.

I was reading some of the answers to others' questions, and noticed that I
cannot right-click on the graphic and get a Format.. menu item on the
right-click menu.

This is Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Yes, I should have mentioned that, too. FWIW, I would avoid the Draw Table
feature; the most messed-up tables I've ever seen were created that way.

"MargaretBartley" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

First of all, turn off auto resizing in the table (Table Properties |

Table
| Options); this will allow you to set the column width manually if
necessary. Then, in the cell where you want the picture (before

inserting
it), set the cell margins to zero (Table Properties | Cell | Options);

this
will ensure that the picture completely fills the cell. See if that

helps.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"MargaretBartley" wrote in