Fred Goldman

Default Footnotes and style

I posted this earlier, but no one understood what I meant. I am going to try
to be clearer this time.

When I apply my own style to a footnote (let's call it style1) it will show
up in the Styles and Formatting box, however when I click to select all text
using style1 it says "Select all: not currently being used" when it is in
fact clearly being used.
This is happening with par. and char. styles. I am using Word XP.
I would greatly appreciate any help.

Klaus Linke

Hi Fred,

I can't see a situation where it would make sense to apply a different =
style than the "footnote" style to footnotes.

Wouldn't it be better to modify the footnote style if you don't like the =
look of it?
You can base the footnote style on the existing style, then both will =
look the same.

You can also replace any style with a different style using "Edit =
Replace".

Regards,
Klaus

"Fred Goldman" wrote:
Thanks for the quick answer. I would like to select everything=20
that is this style and tag it with an existing style.
=20
"Jezebel" wrote:
=20
'Being used' seems to apply only to the body of the document. What =

do you=20
need help with?
=20
=20
=20
"Fred Goldman" wrote in =

message=20
I posted this earlier, but no one understood what I meant. I am =

going to=20
try
to be clearer this time.

When I apply my own style to a footnote (let's call it style1) it =

will=20
show
up in the Styles and Formatting box, however when I click to =

select all=20
text
using style1 it says "Select all: not currently being used" when =

it is in
fact clearly being used.
This is happening with par. and char. styles. I am using Word XP.
I would greatly appreciate any help.
=20

=20
=20

Fred Goldman

Hi Klaus,
Firstly, the "Footnote Text" does not show up in the styles and formatting
box even when I hold shift and press "All Styles".
Secondly, I am talking about character and paragraph styles.
As far as edit/replace I need to do this to 10 styles in 20 different
documents so that can be really time consuming. (It's really my fault because
I tried the Master Doc feature and it messed up all my styles).
Thanks so much for the response if you have any further help I would really
appreciate it.

"Jezebel" wrote:

'Being used' seems to apply only to the body of the document. What do you
need help with?

"Fred Goldman" wrote in message
I posted this earlier, but no one understood what I meant. I am going to
try
to be clearer this time.

When I apply my own style to a footnote (let's call it style1) it will
show
up in the Styles and Formatting box, however when I click to select all
text
using style1 it says "Select all: not currently being used" when it is in
fact clearly being used.
This is happening with par. and char. styles. I am using Word XP.
I would greatly appreciate any help.

Daiya Mitchell

You have totally misunderstood Klaus' post, which is suggesting a different
way to arrive at your goal. Klaus knows you are talking about character and
paragraph styles. You can set Find & Replace to find and replace all text in
a certain style by clicking More and using the Format drop-down menu, and
formatting the empty boxes.

If you have 10 styles in 20 different documents, the Styles & Formatting
palette trick isn't going to save you very much time over Find and Replace
anyhow, and F&R offers exactly the same functionality, it's just slightly
more trouble to set up. In fact, F&R might work out quicker--Find and
Replace you can record and save as a macro and redo in a different document,
or set to run in different documents. Since the Formatting Palette is not
working for you, perhaps you should try a different way?

And I don't see how 10 styles in 20 documents relates to the fact that you
can't get the Formatting Palette to show Footnote Text.

I also can't see how it makes sense to apply a different style than Footnote
Text to footnotes, instead of Modifying the Footnote Text style.

I do wonder whether your problem might be due to lingering corruption from
using the Master Doc feature.

DM

"Fred Goldman" wrote:
Thanks for the quick answer. I would like to select everything
that is this style and tag it with an existing style.

Joseph McGuire

Apart from the puzzling message, what happens? Can you apply another style
to the selected text? I seem to be able to do so in Word 2000 and 2003, but
without the message.

"Jezebel" wrote:

'Being used' seems to apply only to the body of the document. What do

you
need help with?

"Fred Goldman" wrote in message
I posted this earlier, but no one understood what I meant. I am going

try
to be clearer this time.

When I apply my own style to a footnote (let's call it style1) it will
show
up in the Styles and Formatting box, however when I click to select

all
text
using style1 it says "Select all: not currently being used" when it is

in
fact clearly being used.
This is happening with par. and char. styles. I am using Word XP.
I would greatly appreciate any help.

Fred Goldman

I'm sorry maybe I wasn't clear.
It's not a message. When you right click a style in the styles and
formatting box, it gives you an option to select all the text using that
style.
However styles I use it footnotes it just says Style Currently Not Being
Used so I can't select the text using that style. I can definitelt apply
another style, but I either have to select the text manually or use the
edit/replace box.
Please let me know if you can duplicate the problem.
Thanks a bunch.

"Jezebel" wrote:

'Being used' seems to apply only to the body of the document. What do

you
need help with?

"Fred Goldman" wrote in message
I posted this earlier, but no one understood what I meant. I am going

try
to be clearer this time.

When I apply my own style to a footnote (let's call it style1) it will
show
up in the Styles and Formatting box, however when I click to select

all
text
using style1 it says "Select all: not currently being used" when it is

in
fact clearly being used.
This is happening with par. and char. styles. I am using Word XP.
I would greatly appreciate any help.

Klaus Linke

Hi Fred,=20

I haven't time to read through the whole thread now...

But if you choose "Custom..." at the bottom of the "Styles and =
Formatting pane", can you add a check mark to "Footnote text"?

You then still can't "Select all instances", but at least you can edit =
the style.

Regards,
Klaus