Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
afw afw is offline

Default Page Numbers and Section Breaks

I'm using office 07 home in compatibility mode.
I have a 30 page document.
The first 2 pages are unnumbered
The numbering starts on page 3 with the number 1
The document contains a number of section breaks
The numbering is ok for about 3 pages and then breaks down and jumps around
-- I can't find a pattern
I have removed and replaced all the footers
I have linked and unlinked all the footers
There may be something wrong with the section numbers because it seems like
some numbers are missing
I have spent hours on this and am out of ideas -- please help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're just looking at the section numbers as you click through the
header/footer and one is missing, then the likelihood is that you have a
"landlocked" (perhaps multicolumn?) section in the middle of a page, and
this may be where page numbering is set to restart. Find this section and
put your insertion point in it. Then select the Insert tab, find the Header
& Footer group, click on Page Number, choose Format Page Numbers... from the
menu, and choose "Continue from previous section."

http://word.mvps.org

"afw" wrote in message
I'm using office 07 home in compatibility mode.
I have a 30 page document.
The first 2 pages are unnumbered
The numbering starts on page 3 with the number 1
The document contains a number of section breaks
The numbering is ok for about 3 pages and then breaks down and jumps
around
-- I can't find a pattern
I have removed and replaced all the footers
I have linked and unlinked all the footers
There may be something wrong with the section numbers because it seems
like
some numbers are missing
I have spent hours on this and am out of ideas -- please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
afw afw is offline

Yes, I have some sections in the middle of pages and they contain tables and
the sections with the tables have different margins.

"afw" wrote in message
I'm using office 07 home in compatibility mode.
I have a 30 page document.
The first 2 pages are unnumbered
The numbering starts on page 3 with the number 1
The document contains a number of section breaks
The numbering is ok for about 3 pages and then breaks down and jumps
around
-- I can't find a pattern
I have removed and replaced all the footers
I have linked and unlinked all the footers
There may be something wrong with the section numbers because it seems
like
some numbers are missing
I have spent hours on this and am out of ideas -- please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
afw afw is offline

Suzanne -- that does not seem to be solving the problem. But I think there
are "landlocked" sections. any other suggestions?

"afw" wrote in message
I'm using office 07 home in compatibility mode.
I have a 30 page document.
The first 2 pages are unnumbered
The numbering starts on page 3 with the number 1
The document contains a number of section breaks
The numbering is ok for about 3 pages and then breaks down and jumps
around
-- I can't find a pattern
I have removed and replaced all the footers
I have linked and unlinked all the footers
There may be something wrong with the section numbers because it seems
like
some numbers are missing
I have spent hours on this and am out of ideas -- please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You should not need to create sections for the tables. You can make tables
any width you like without changing the margins.

http://word.mvps.org

"afw" wrote in message
I'm using office 07 home in compatibility mode.
I have a 30 page document.
The first 2 pages are unnumbered
The numbering starts on page 3 with the number 1
The document contains a number of section breaks
The numbering is ok for about 3 pages and then breaks down and jumps
around
-- I can't find a pattern
I have removed and replaced all the footers
I have linked and unlinked all the footers
There may be something wrong with the section numbers because it seems
like
some numbers are missing
I have spent hours on this and am out of ideas -- please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have "Continue from previous section" selected in the Page Number
Format dialog for every section, then it should work. Just make sure you
don't skip any sections.

http://word.mvps.org

"afw" wrote in message
I'm using office 07 home in compatibility mode.
I have a 30 page document.
The first 2 pages are unnumbered
The numbering starts on page 3 with the number 1
The document contains a number of section breaks
The numbering is ok for about 3 pages and then breaks down and jumps
around
-- I can't find a pattern
I have removed and replaced all the footers
I have linked and unlinked all the footers
There may be something wrong with the section numbers because it seems
like
some numbers are missing
I have spent hours on this and am out of ideas -- please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
afw afw is offline

OMG it worked -- removed all the sections and the problem resolved. Some
sections kept reappearing and I had to be persistent in deleting. Thanks so
much!

"afw" wrote in message
I'm using office 07 home in compatibility mode.
I have a 30 page document.
The first 2 pages are unnumbered
The numbering starts on page 3 with the number 1
The document contains a number of section breaks
The numbering is ok for about 3 pages and then breaks down and jumps
around
-- I can't find a pattern
I have removed and replaced all the footers
I have linked and unlinked all the footers
There may be something wrong with the section numbers because it seems
like
some numbers are missing
I have spent hours on this and am out of ideas -- please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not sure what you've actually done (if section breaks are needed, they
should not be removed), but I'm glad it seems to have solved the problem.

http://word.mvps.org