Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default finding a graphic's pathname?

My project was created on a Mac (FrameMaker 4, not that it matters),
and in transporting it over to Windows, the files work fine in both
FrameMaker 7.2 and Word2007 -- except that the graphic files are
invisible, because the extensions got chopped off all their filenames.

If I type the extension into the filename, there's no problem
recognizing them. (I think most of them are .tif's.)

The problem is that most of them were resized to fit inside tables
(either as parts of charts, or because a 1-column, 2-row table was a
convenient way to keep an illustration and caption together),
Presumably the resizing information is retained in the conversion from
Frame to Word; but the file path is, obviously, different.

It seems to me that if I can substitute the new pathname for the old
pathname in the new Word file, it should be able to open the
(relabeled) graphics at exactly the old size and cropping, so all that
work needn't be done again.

So, is there a way to view the pathname of a graphic that currently
shows up as a gray box with the note something like "Word cannot
display certain graphics" -- and then substitute the correct new
pathname? (I tried right-clicking on the box and didn't get
"Properties" or whatever, so I ended up deleting my trial example and
re-inserting the image.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF] Robert M. Franz [RMF] is offline

Hello Peter

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
[..]
So, is there a way to view the pathname of a graphic that currently
shows up as a gray box with the note something like "Word cannot
display certain graphics" -- and then substitute the correct new
pathname? (I tried right-clicking on the box and didn't get
"Properties" or whatever, so I ended up deleting my trial example and
re-inserting the image.)

just to be su does Pizza button | Prepare | Edit Links bring up
something sensible?

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't know what that's _supposed_ to do, but it opened a window with
one link showing -- which seems to be to the file iitself, not to the
several missing graphics used within the file.

On Aug 11, 3:00*am, "Robert M. Franz [RMF]"
wrote:
Hello Peter

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

[..]

So, is there a way to view the pathname of a graphic that currently
shows up as a gray box with the note something like "Word cannot
display certain graphics" -- and then substitute the correct new
pathname? (I tried right-clicking on the box and didn't get
"Properties" or whatever, so I ended up deleting my trial example and
re-inserting the image.)

just to be su does Pizza button | Prepare | Edit Links bring up
something sensible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
I don't know what that's _supposed_ to do, but it opened a window with
one link showing -- which seems to be to the file iitself, not to the
several missing graphics used within the file.

the menu should show external links to linked graphics and stuff. Would
have been too good if such a thing would translate from Frame. [The
graphics are linked in there, aren't they?]

Sorry, not much to add here. Maybe Klaus Linke would know more about
this, I'll try if I can alert him to this thread.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the edited file, where I inserted the graphic manually, there are
now two items in the big window (is that what you mean by the menu?)
but the pathname at the bottom is the same for both (and leads to the
folder the file is in, rather than to the folder the graphic is in).
(The folder the graphic is in is "Illustrations" contained in the
folder the file is in.)

In the rtf that has the tables that were saved out of Frame into
Word2007 (the tables open in Word unmolested), there's just the one
file listed.