Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hander hander is offline

Default Copying sentences into tables

Word 2007 on Win7.

I'm trying to copy a series of sentences (in 1 document) into a table
(in a 2nd document). So:

1) imagine a table, e.g. 1 column wide, 3 rows deep.
2) three sentences:
John ran fast.
Simon talked quickly.
Sally left early.

If I select all three sentences, copy, then select the three rows and
paste, I get a table with:

John
Simon
Sally

in each row. That is, it only copies the first word of each.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If your table is set to fixed column width, maybe the rests of the
sentences are there, only hiding behind the cell boundary. You could
check by typing a Return or a Shift Return after the last visible
character in the cell.

On Aug 4, 12:11*pm, hander wrote:
Word 2007 on Win7.

I'm trying to copy a series of sentences (in 1 document) into a table
(in a 2nd document). So:

1) imagine a table, e.g. 1 column wide, 3 rows deep.
2) three sentences:
John ran fast.
Simon talked quickly.
Sally left early.

If I select all three sentences, copy, then select the three rows and
paste, I get a table with:

John
Simon
Sally

in each row. That is, it only copies the first word of each.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hander hander is offline

No, nothing is there. Can anyone reproduce this? Maybe it's just my
Office...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hander hander is offline

Update: Works fine in Word safe mode...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hander hander is offline

And here's someone with exactly the same issue.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro... 96c9d9bd3599e
The explanation/workaround is too cumbersome. And if it works in safe
mode, it might be a settings issue that I could override in normal
mode.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See if you have any (poorly designed) add-ins installed:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...sInstalled.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hander" wrote in message
And here's someone with exactly the same issue.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro... 96c9d9bd3599e
The explanation/workaround is too cumbersome. And if it works in safe
mode, it might be a settings issue that I could override in normal
mode.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hander hander is offline

No add-ins installed. Can anyone just confirm that this does/doesn't
happen to them?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Aug 6, 10:10*pm, hander wrote:
No add-ins installed. Can anyone just confirm that this does/doesn't
happen to them?

Oh, all right.

Exactly the same thing happened to me.

But when I copied and pasted one paragraph into one cell, it worked
fine.

(What I expected was that all three paragraphs would appear in all
three cells.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you saying that you can reproduce the behavior described by the OP?

FWIW, I do find that when pasting, the outcome seems to depend on whether I
select whole rows or just part of rows. For example, in a five rows, six columns
table, selecting (say) three full rows and pasting, paragraph 1 gets pasted into
the selected cells of the first column, paragraph 2 into the cells of the second
column, and paragraph 3 into the cells of the third column.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
On Aug 6, 10:10 pm, hander wrote:
No add-ins installed. Can anyone just confirm that this does/doesn't
happen to them?

Oh, all right.

Exactly the same thing happened to me.

But when I copied and pasted one paragraph into one cell, it worked
fine.

(What I expected was that all three paragraphs would appear in all
three cells.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yup -- I did exactly what he said: create a 1-col, 3-row table, type 3
sentences, each its own paragraph, copy them to clipboard as a block,
select the three cells, paste. The first word of a sentence appeared
in each cell.

I didn't take care not to select the right-of-cell paragraph marks.
That might make a difference.

On Aug 6, 10:10 pm, hander wrote:

No add-ins installed. Can anyone just confirm that this does/doesn't
happen to them?

Oh, all right.

Exactly the same thing happened to me.

But when I copied and pasted one paragraph into one cell, it worked
fine.

(What I expected was that all three paragraphs would appear in all
three cells.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

So maybe it's a Vista thing! (I'll try to remember to try it on the
Windows 7 laptop.)

On Aug 6, 10:10 pm, hander wrote:

No add-ins installed. Can anyone just confirm that this does/doesn't
happen to them?

Oh, all right.

Exactly the same thing happened to me.

But when I copied and pasted one paragraph into one cell, it worked
fine.

(What I expected was that all three paragraphs would appear in all
three cells.)-

Losing indents when copying tables Mark H. - NJ Tables 6 March 4th 10 05:15 PM
Copying tables from Excel philip81 Tables 2 November 26th 08 10:45 AM
Copying and Pasting Text in tables BY131989 Microsoft Word Help 1 September 19th 07 10:21 PM
COPYING TABLES Aurora Tables 1 June 1st 06 05:00 PM
copying and pasting tables JulieO Tables 0 December 13th 05 02:19 PM