Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ghedgehog ghedgehog is offline

Default Auto expand sub-documents

When I open a master document the sub-documents are displayed as hyperlinks.
To expand the sub-documents I have to go into Outline View and click Expand
Sub-Documents. I don't want to have to do this every time I open the master
document. Is there any way I can set the sub-documents to be permanently
expanded or at least expanded automatically when the master document is
opened?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Z2hlZGdlaG9n?=,

When I open a master document the sub-documents are displayed as hyperlinks.
To expand the sub-documents I have to go into Outline View and click Expand
Sub-Documents. I don't want to have to do this every time I open the master
document. Is there any way I can set the sub-documents to be permanently
expanded or at least expanded automatically when the master document is
opened?

Only by using a macro.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

MistaTee MistaTee is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy M. View Post
Hi ?B?Z2hlZGdlaG9n?=,
Only by using a macro.
- Press Alt + F11
- right-click 'ThisDocument'
- choose 'view code'
- insert:
"Private Sub Document_Open()
ActiveDocument.Subdocuments.Expanded = Not ActiveDocument.Subdocuments. _
Expanded
End Sub"

- save and close
- you might have to readjust you macro security settings to 'medium'
- worked for me in Word 2003
Razorback64 Razorback64 is offline
Banned

Yes, there is a Grouping featu

- Select the rows (or columns) that you want to be able to expand/contract
- Data - Group and Outline - Group

The Subtotals feature is useful when you have data you want to summarize by some category (e.g. sales by state). To use this, you first sort your data by the categories you want to summarize, and then do data-subtotals. When you have subtotals, you can also contract/expand the detail so that only the subtotals are visible.

If you need more info, add detail or e-mail.
Cheers.

Last edited by Razorback64 : August 11th 10 at 01:32 PM