Neil

Default Label problem

I posted this problem on another Word newsgroup and got nothing. I'm hoping
I get better luck here. This is the question:

I'm helping a friend print address labels from an Excel sheet as I'm
'supposed to know about computers' but I've never used mail merge before.
By trial and error (and the wizard) I got the end result OK but it was a
long time getting there as the labels had to be created manually and the
column headers matched to the right fields and then the labels formatted
correctly.
He now has a different Excel sheet to make labels from and now I'm stumped.
I saved the previous mail merge and hoped I could use it again and after
going through various screens and pointing it at the right source, the
correct labels show up, but only the first page. There should be at least 3
or 4 pages.
I tried using the wizard route again but each time I end up having to
rematch the fields and reformat the labels.
I'd hoped that using the saved mail merge would work but I'm obvioulsy doing
something wrong. If someone could tell me what I should be doing, I'd be
most grateful.

Office 2003
WinXP SP2

Cheers

Doug Robbins

See the article "Mailmerge Labels with Word XP" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Neil" sherbaal@ yahoo.com wrote in message
[...]

Neil

Thanks, I just read the document and I'm still puzzled.

I've read about not 'completing the merge' before but I still can't see
where I 'complete the merge'.
I followed the walkthrough step by step and its just as I did the merge
right up to where I'm supposed to merge to document or printer. At this
point I get just one page of labels and the walkthrough tells me again I
didn't complete the merge. At what point am I not completing the merge?

I'll just add I never used the toolbar, didn't even know there was one!

Thanks.

Doug Robbins

I would suggest that you do use the toolbar. It has buttons on it for
executing the merge to the various possible destinations. If you use the
appropriate one of those buttons the merge WILL be executed.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Neil" sherbaal@ yahoo.com wrote in message
Thanks, I just read the document and I'm still puzzled.

I've read about not 'completing the merge' before but I still can't see
where I 'complete the merge'.
I followed the walkthrough step by step and its just as I did the merge
right up to where I'm supposed to merge to document or printer. At this
point I get just one page of labels and the walkthrough tells me again I
didn't complete the merge. At what point am I not completing the merge?

I'll just add I never used the toolbar, didn't even know there was one!

Thanks.

Peter Jamieson

if you are using the Mail Merge Wizard and are working with a Label merge,
when you get to "Step 5 of 6" in the Wizard's task pane, you should see the
following options at the bottom of the pane:
Next: Complete the merge
Previous: Arrange your labels

Select the "Next: Complete the merge" option, and you move to Step 6 of
6.But even then, you are not quite done, because you either need to click
the Print... option, which should print the labels, or the "Edit Individual
Labels" option, which really just outputs the merge to a new document, at
which point you can edit the new document as necessary, then print it.

If you're doing a lot of merges, using the toolbar is often quicker once
you've got used to it, as others have doubtless said.

Peter Jamieson
"Neil" sherbaal@ yahoo.com wrote in message
Thanks, I just read the document and I'm still puzzled.

I've read about not 'completing the merge' before but I still can't see
where I 'complete the merge'.
I followed the walkthrough step by step and its just as I did the merge
right up to where I'm supposed to merge to document or printer. At this
point I get just one page of labels and the walkthrough tells me again I
didn't complete the merge. At what point am I not completing the merge?

I'll just add I never used the toolbar, didn't even know there was one!

Thanks.

Label merge Problem Shooting Star Mailmerge 2 May 26th 05 07:04 PM
Label printing problem PMH Microsoft Word Help 0 April 11th 05 07:38 PM
Attaching Expansion Pack to Word Documents - Puzzling Problem Jose Microsoft Word Help 1 March 3rd 05 10:14 AM
Label maker problem Higgi New Users 2 January 2nd 05 10:34 AM
label does not fit on one page! Attila Microsoft Word Help 8 December 7th 04 03:55 PM