Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Clay Shannon Clay Shannon is offline

Default Reading delimited text file into labels

I am trying to populate Avery 5160 labels by using a file with contents like
this (semicolon-delimited, one record per line):

Mr. Joe Brown; 123 Cypress Lane; Sausalito; CA; ;;; 54567
Mr. Merle Haggard; 456 Fiddlestix; Redding; CA; ;;; 55555

Does anybody have step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this in
Word? I've tried everything I can get to and think of related to mail merge
and creating labels in Word, and have had no success.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Does the file containing the addresses have a line at the top that contains
the name of each field, each one separated by the semi-colon?

Regardless, you may find it easier to open the file and then select and copy
everything in it and paste it into a Word document (or just use FileOpen in
Word) and then in Word, select everything and use the Convert Text to Table
facility to convert it into a table. I did that with the two rows of data
from your post and after replacing the new line character at the end of the
first row with a carriage return (because of the way it is formatted in the
mail program), the Convert Text to Table facility automatically selected the
semi-colon as the character to use to separate the text.

If necessary, you can then insert a row at the top of the table into the
cells of which you type the field names to be used in the mail merge
process, such as

Name
Street
City
State

Zip

Also see the article €śMailmerge Labels with Word XP€ť on fellow MVP Graham
Mayors website at:

or €śMail Merge with Word 2007€ť on fellow MVP Graham Mayors website at

http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Clay Shannon" wrote in message
I am trying to populate Avery 5160 labels by using a file with contents
like
this (semicolon-delimited, one record per line):

Mr. Joe Brown; 123 Cypress Lane; Sausalito; CA; ;;; 54567
Mr. Merle Haggard; 456 Fiddlestix; Redding; CA; ;;; 55555

Does anybody have step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this in
Word? I've tried everything I can get to and think of related to mail
merge
and creating labels in Word, and have had no success.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Clay Shannon Clay Shannon is offline

Thanks; I see what you mean with the "covert to table," but I don't think
that will place the records in the appropriate places on the page to print
the labels. However, I will czech out those links.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Mr. Al Jackson; 123 Cypress Lane; Detroit, MI; ;;; 88888
Mr. Merle Haggard; 456 Fiddlestix Lane; Redding; CA; ;;; 55555

Does anybody have step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this in
Word? I've tried everything I can get to and think of related to mail
merge
and creating labels in Word, and have had no success.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You need a \*Charformat at the end of the DATABASE field /and/ to bold
the D or DATABASE (at least). Actually this is what Doug said.

There's no \*Charformat in your field at the moment.

Simple formatting works here OK in e.g. Word 2007 and 2003, but it may
not survive a page break.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv

Clay Shannon wrote:
I am trying to populate Avery 5160 labels by using a file with contents like
this (semicolon-delimited, one record per line):

Mr. Joe Brown; 123 Cypress Lane; Sausalito; CA; ;;; 54567
Mr. Merle Haggard; 456 Fiddlestix; Redding; CA; ;;; 55555

Does anybody have step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this in
Word? I've tried everything I can get to and think of related to mail merge
and creating labels in Word, and have had no success.

chipp2shore chipp2shore is offline
Junior Member

Location: St Pete, Florida

Clay, I'm assuming that the addresses are setup just as you described and also that there are many of them. This is a method which will work for you if you don't require fields for each line, merely address blocks like this.
(Make sure you use a header such as ADDRESS and put a space between it and the first record.)

ADDRESS

Mr. Joe Brown
123 Cypress Lane
Sausalito
CA 55555

Start by typing in your header e.g. ADDRESS on the top line and hit the enter key so that you have a header above your addresses with all the semi colons.

First off do a find and replace Find ; ;;; and Replace with nothing. That will give you the State and Zip without any punctuation marks in between, but will leave the other semi colons. - Make sure that you have the semi colons exactly as they appear between the state and the zip e..g. ; ;;;. Word will leave all the single semi colons.

Secondly, do a find and replace for all the remaining semi colons and replace them with paragraph marks. Find ; Replace ^p

Thirdly do a find and replace for any paragraph marks and replace them with manual line breaks. Find ^p Replace ^l

Finally do a find and replace for any two manual line breaks and replace them with a paragraph mark. Find ^l^l and Replace ^p This will give you a paragraph for a delimiter between addresses.

Now select (Ctrl + A) all the addresses and use the 'Convert text to table' using a paragraph mark as a separator. You will have a one column table of your addresses with your header (such as ADDRESS) in the top cell.

You can now use Word mail merge to make your Avery labels # 5160, or use the Avery wizard which can be downloaded from the Avery website. Your merge field will appear as ((ADDRESS)) which you will then update to all the cells in the blank labels.

Chris Davies

Clay Shannon wrote: I am trying to populate Avery 5160 labels by using a file with contents like
this (semicolon-delimited, one record per line):

Mr. Joe Brown; 123 Cypress Lane; Sausalito; CA; ;;; 54567
Mr. Merle Haggard; 456 Fiddlestix; Redding; CA; ;;; 55555

Does anybody have step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this in
Word? I've tried everything I can get to and think of related to mail merge
and creating labels in Word, and have had no success.
[/quote]

Last edited by chipp2shore : March 14th 12 at 03:24 AM Reason: update info.
handeiere handeiere is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp2shore View Post