Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Aardvark Aardvark is offline

Default Word 2007 Top Page View Cut Off

I am using Word 2007 and something has happened to my default view. Whenever
I start a new document or open Word, the document shows on screen as 8.5x9.
The top ruler shows 8.5" with the leftmost and rightmost inches grayed out
(as expected for margins). Its scale is from -1" to +7.5". The left ruler
shows 9". It does not have any margins showing and its scale is from 0 to
9". When in the One Page view, the page looks short and sqwatty, like it's
missing a couple of inches in height. When I start typing, the text it
displayed at the very top of the page without any white space above it. The
bottom and left margins are white and do not contain any text. They look
normal. It's like the top of the page has been cut off.

If I switch to 2 page view it looks normal, I can see the whole page, the
margin rulers, everything.

Word is set to Print Layout, One Page. Page size Letter, the margins,
Orientation, Size and Columns are all set properly.

I've tried deleting the normal.dotm but that did not help.

The printer is setup properly with the correct page size, etc.

Opening existing documents do not have this problem, only newly created
documents.

Anybody got any clues on what can be done to fix this view?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The double-click is actually a result of input from Word MVPs (though I'm
sure MS was getting similar feedback from other sources as well). In Word
2003 an errant single click causes this problem quite frequently, and we
suggested that making it a little harder (I think we suggested Ctrl+click)
would help a lot.

"Aardvark" wrote in message
[...]

Matt_Tech-Wrtr_using_Word Matt_Tech-Wrtr_using_Word is offline
Junior Member

Now 8 years later this still can happen.

I decided to join Word Banter because I found this helpful despite discovering that the article referenced is not a valid URL anymore.

A quick google search for [ss barnhill word white space] provided:
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/WhiteSpace.htm as the new url.

In Word 2010 which is what I use primarily, it's found under File Options Display. Then it's the very first checkbox under "Page display options".

---

Where is the button that can be inadvertently clicked? (not that I need it, just curious if anyone knows more as to whether it's a document-specific setting or one that just lives among the other Word Display/User Interface settings like being able to switch from Outline view to Draft.) Could be dreaming this, but I though I might have read somewhere that there is a way to force a certain View each time upon opening the saved document. That's what I mean as to something that would have to be a document-specific setting.

Note: This is my first post, so I figured it requires at least a little banter at the end.

gal8 gal8 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post

"Aardvark" wrote in message
I am using Word 2007 and something has happened to my default view.
Whenever
I start a new document or open Word, the document shows on screen as
8.5x9.
The top ruler shows 8.5" with the leftmost and rightmost inches grayed out
(as expected for margins). Its scale is from -1" to +7.5". The left
ruler.
json formatter
[...]

This is pretty cool. The double-click works!