protecting a short piece of a paragraph

Old December 16th 04, 05:48 PM
Chip Orange

Default protecting a short piece of a paragraph

I have a template, and using it I'd like to create a document, and in
several places it's important that the user not be able to insert into,
change, or delete, a short portion of a paragraph.

Password protection isn't necessary, I just want to stop them from doing
this accidentally.

Is it possible?

thanks.

Chip

Old December 16th 04, 06:12 PM
Charles Kenyon

You could use what Word calls an "online form." Check this in help. The
areas you want people to be able to change would be in text form fields or
in unprotected sections.

For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Old December 16th 04, 07:14 PM
Klaus Linke

Hi Chip,

Also, in Word2003 it's possible to protect text on a character-by-character
basis (with or without password protection), and allow onyl certain users to
make changes.
Might be a reason for an upgrade if you need that feature.

Regards,
Klaus

Old December 27th 04, 11:40 PM
Chip Orange

Thanks Klaus, sounds exactly like what I was looking for. We are on an
enterprise agreement plan with MS, so the upgrade wouldn't cost us any
money, only the time to deploy it, and as yet we hadn't had time to evaluate
2003 to see if it was worth our effort. This feature just may start us down
the 2003 road.

Thanks again,

Chip