CentralAdmin

Default document links

Hello, I am in the process of installing a new file server on my network.
The name will change from (for example) Server1 to Server2. I have 1000's of
word XP documents that contain object links within then pointing to other
docs. these are basic work instructions and may contain a link to another
instruction. The problem I have is some links are listed as a mapped drive
(which is not a problem) but most are listed using UNC paths. So the links
show \\server1\path1\pathsub1 and they will have to be changed to
\\server2\path1\pathsub1. Obviously there are too many to do by hand. Is
anyone aware of a macro or program that will enable me to change the links
automatically without - like some kind of find/replace of object link names?
Using the same server name is not an option and the documents have to be
moved to the new server.

I did create a static WINS entry for the old server name using the new
servers IP address.

If I am not clear or left anything out, just let me know.

Thanks.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Q2VudHJhbEFkbWlu?=,

There used to be a shareware tool at www.mousetrax.com, I have no idea if it's
still there.

I am in the process of installing a new file server on my network.
The name will change from (for example) Server1 to Server2. I have 1000's of
word XP documents that contain object links within then pointing to other
docs. these are basic work instructions and may contain a link to another
instruction. The problem I have is some links are listed as a mapped drive
(which is not a problem) but most are listed using UNC paths. So the links
show \\server1\path1\pathsub1 and they will have to be changed to
\\server2\path1\pathsub1. Obviously there are too many to do by hand. Is
anyone aware of a macro or program that will enable me to change the links
automatically without - like some kind of find/replace of object link names?
Using the same server name is not an option and the documents have to be
moved to the new server.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Charles Kenyon

You could unprotect them to make your changes?
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

CentralAdmin

We have 1,000's of documents. We would have to have something that would
unprotect them, change the link, and re-protect without losing data in our
form fields. I have not seen anything out there that will do this yet. Has
anyone else?