Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brenda from Michigan Brenda from Michigan is offline

Default Equation S over T

User has Word 2003

He is a physicist and needs to type text as a capital S over a capital T.
He calls it overstrike but I don't think that is the correct term. I've
looked up stuff for superscript but so far have not found any friendly help
with the Equation Editor or how to do this specifically. I can superscript,
but not directly over another character. Can anyone help in how to express
this format? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

He is right. It is overstrike. See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Banner_Text.htm

Brenda from Michigan wrote:
User has Word 2003

He is a physicist and needs to type text as a capital S over a
capital T. He calls it overstrike but I don't think that is the
correct term. I've looked up stuff for superscript but so far have
not found any friendly help with the Equation Editor or how to do
this specifically. I can superscript, but not directly over another
character. Can anyone help in how to express this format? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's called "Overstrike." You do it with a Formula. If I'm remembering
my Word2003 correctly, go to Insert Field. (From here on, it's the
same in Word2007). For Categories, choose Equations and Formulas. For
Field Names, choose Eq. _Don't_ choose Equation Editor. At the bottom
left, click Field Codes, then Options. Under Switches, choose \O().
Click "Add to Field" at the top right, and Ok. Then between the
parentheses in the box, type the items you want piled on top of each
other, separated by a comma -- in this case, you'll end up with \O
(S,T) in the box. Click Ok, and in your text you'll see the
superimposed ST -- but there will be a space after it that you can't
get rid of. You need to select the combined character and press Shift-
F9 to Reveal Field Codes. Delete the space between the close-
parentheses and the close-braces, and press Shift-F9 again to return
to the proper view.

Now that you know what an entered Field looks like, you can speed up
the process by entering Field Codes directly -- press Ctrl-F9 to
insert the Field Code Braces, then type the appropriate code between
the braces.

On Dec 7, 3:12*pm, Brenda from Michigan
wrote:
User has Word 2003

He is a physicist and needs to type text as a capital S over a capital T. *
He calls it overstrike but I don't think that is the correct term. *I've
looked up stuff for superscript but so far have not found any friendly help
with the Equation Editor or how to do this specifically. *I can superscript,
but not directly over another character. *Can anyone help in how to express
this format? *Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Local_IT Local_IT is offline

In Word 2003, go to Insert--Object. Pick "Microsoft Equation 3.0"

In the resulting dialog box, you will find a handy fraction template button
that will easily allow what you are asking for (I just did it).

"Brenda from Michigan" wrote:

User has Word 2003

He is a physicist and needs to type text as a capital S over a capital T.
He calls it overstrike but I don't think that is the correct term. I've
looked up stuff for superscript but so far have not found any friendly help
with the Equation Editor or how to do this specifically. I can superscript,
but not directly over another character. Can anyone help in how to express
this format? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If it's really overstrike (one letter superimposed on the other), see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...Characters.htm. If it's one
character above the other, you can still do it with an EQ field but using
the \a switch (for an array) rather than \o.

http://word.mvps.org

"Brenda from Michigan" wrote
in message ...
User has Word 2003

He is a physicist and needs to type text as a capital S over a capital T.
He calls it overstrike but I don't think that is the correct term. I've
looked up stuff for superscript but so far have not found any friendly
help
with the Equation Editor or how to do this specifically. I can
superscript,
but not directly over another character. Can anyone help in how to
express
this format? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sara Sara is offline

I would add to the other answer that you should not be overwhelmed by the
menus in Equation Editor. Also, for letters, you want to click on Style and
choose Text.