Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy Sue Who Cindy Sue Who is offline

Default Working with option buttons in Word 2002

So, we are trying to create a form in Word 2002 in which we offer a series of
radio or "option" buttons for some of our survey questions. However, we are
struggling to make the option buttons work through the "Web Tools" toolbar.
We can create the list we want to create, but can't save the file so it can
be e-mailed and utilized in the correct capacity. Can someone please walk me
through the steps of how to create a form in which there are numerous
questions, almost all of which utilize the same clickable "option buttons" to
choose either a "Yes" or "No" response, then protect it so it can be saved,
e-mailed and opened and filled out. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What you need to do is create a protected form utilising the tools from the
forms toolbar.

I would suggest that you do not use radio buttons. You should use instead
check box form fields. These can be made to work like radio buttons, but
require macros to do so. You are therefore going to have the issue of how to
ensure that users run the macros. This is not something that you can force.

To get around this, I would use dropdown form fields to collect the choices.
These do not require macros and one field provides the yes/no result. It
would be easy enough to insert a raft of dropdown form fields and set the
values to No or Yes.

To simplify preparation, the following macro will set *ALL* the dropdown
form fields in a form to have the value choice of No or Yes.

You may find http://www.gmayor.com/ExtractDataFromForms.htm useful when the
forms are returned completed.

Sub DropdownToYesOrNo()
Dim oFld As FormFields
Dim oDD As DropDown
Dim bProtected As Boolean
Dim i As Long
bProtected = False
If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType wdNoProtection Then
ActiveDocument.Unprotect _
Password:=""
bProtected = True
End If
Set oFld = ActiveDocument.FormFields
For i = 1 To oFld.Count
If oFld(i).Type = wdFieldFormDropDown Then
Set oDD = oFld(i).DropDown
With oDD.ListEntries
.Clear
.Add "No"