password protection

Old January 20th 05, 04:19 PM
Cheruvim

Default password protection

So, once again Microsoft has failed to implement a simple password protection
solution. In using MS Word from MS office XP I have a password protected
document. I entered the password for access and the password for write
permission and still it said that the document was read only when I tried to
save. I had to save it as a different file, delete the old file (trying to
just rename it just gave me a file permissions error) and rename the file
back to the old name. I opened the new/renamed file and still CAN'T GET
write permissions when I try and use the password on the new file. The
password is correct. There is no password error message.

I HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS NONSENSE EVERY TIME I MAKE CHANGES!!!!

MS Word has been around for about 20 years now. YOU'D THINK THAT MICROSOFT
DEVELOPERS WOULD GET IT RIGHT BY NOW?!?!?!?!!

Maybe a regClean?? I'm using XP pro SP2, MS Office 2003 fully updated.

The other pet peve I have with MS Word and password protection is this.. If
you open a document that is password protection and you select to view it
"Read Only". If you accidentally make a change or forget that the document is
R/O, THE DAMN THING ASKS YOU IF YOU WISH TO SAVE CHANGES!!! HOW CAN i SAVE
CHANGES IF THE DAMN DOCUMENT IS R/O???? Would it be more prudent that when a
change is detected to alert you that you are changing a read only document
and perhaps PROMPT YOU FOR A PASSWORD?!?!?!?!?!!

Ah, the Microsoft mentality..... totally counter intuitive.