Russ

Default ~$

So is there no way to recover the original text from a tmp file named wrs or
wrf? I am trying to recover a file I accidentally saved over.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

I'm glad to hear you were able to recover the document. :-)

More than likely you found ~wrd002.tmp in the same folder as the document.

Out of all the temp files Word creates, this is the only one (~wrd*.tmp) that you could recover all of the document content.

Word creates this temp file Word when a document it saved. It creates/writes the temp file in the document folder, deletes the original, and moves the temp file to take the original's place.

The other temp file, called the Owner file, (~$*.do?) is created when you open a previously saved document and all it contains is user info.

This file is used if you attempt to open the document a second time, such as in a network environment. If Word finds the Owner file then you encounter a message along the lines of "Document in use by User Name".

--
Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup. Email requests for assistance can not be acknowledged.

~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
TechTrax: http://mousetrax.com/techtrax/

"arhangelmihailo" wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I did it, I got me out of this problem. I can't believe it was so simple!
Well, here it is. As we all know, there has to be a .tmp file that Word makes, and thx God this is very useful in case of Word (or comp) crashing. It is true that I only had to deal with 2 files: ~$plan2004.doc and plan2004.doc. And there was no other .tmp file, at frst sight. In fact, there was, but I had to dig it from the hard (God knows where I found it!), and it was hidden attributed. And, that is right, this file is named something like this ~wrd0002.tmp. It is slightly different from original (formated adds were not the same), but the content is untouched, and that is the most important. The rest was very easy...formating the content...save as...and that's it.
Thx Everyone! Now, I can keep my job!

susiq

I have been reading the posts about how to get the original document back
when Word makes a TMP file. I typed a document in word and my computer
rebooted overnight, but my document did not save. It is quite lengthy and I
will have to retype it if I cannot extract the original text. One post
alluded to getting the document back, but it did not explain how. Can you
help me?

Gena Meeks

"arhangelmihailo" wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I did it, I got me out of this problem. I can't believe it was so

simple!
Well, here it is. As we all know, there has to be a .tmp file that

Word makes, and thx God this is very useful in case of Word (or comp)
crashing. It is true that I only had to deal with 2 files: ~$plan2004.doc
and plan2004.doc. And there was no other .tmp file, at frst sight. In
fact, there was, but I had to dig it from the hard (God knows where I found
it!), and it was hidden attributed. And, that is right, this file is named
something like this ~wrd0002.tmp. It is slightly different from original
(formated adds were not the same), but the content is untouched, and that is
the most important. The rest was very easy...formating the content...save
as...and that's it.
Thx Everyone! Now, I can keep my job!

Graham Mayor

Rebooting should clear any temporary files. If you didn't save the document,
there is nothing to recover.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The only ones I've ever found to contain document content are the
~$wrlxxxx.tmp files, each of which is a complete previous save.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"arhangelmihailo" wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I did it, I got me out of this problem. I can't believe it was so
simple! Well, here it is. As we all know, there has to be a
.tmp file that

Word makes, and thx God this is very useful in case of Word (or comp)
crashing. It is true that I only had to deal with 2 files:
~$plan2004.doc and plan2004.doc. And there was no other .tmp file,
at frst sight. In fact, there was, but I had to dig it from the hard
(God knows where I found it!), and it was hidden attributed. And,
that is right, this file is named something like this ~wrd0002.tmp.
It is slightly different from original (formated adds were not the
same), but the content is untouched, and that is the most important.
The rest was very easy...formating the content...save as...and
that's it.
Thx Everyone! Now, I can keep my job!

Klaus Linke

Hi Gena, Graham,

You're probably not working with Word2003? That would try to recover the doc
the next time you start Word.

If the machine crashed overnight, it's just about certain that Word left
temporary files.
And I don't think rebooting does anything to temp files?
Not even restarting/quitting Word (before 2003) would do that: I get about
100 temp files a month to clean up on my machine from crashes.

You should search for ~*.*,*.tmp, sort the results by date, and then check
the list for files that have about the right size and time stamp.
You'll need to include hidden files and folders under the advanced search
options, I guess.

If they contain something useful, you can likely just open them in Word (...
*not* using "Recover text from any file": that would loose all formatting).

Regards,
Klaus

"arhangelmihailo" wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I did it, I got me out of this problem. I can't believe it was so
simple! Well, here it is. As we all know, there has to be a
.tmp file that
Word makes, and thx God this is very useful in case of Word (or comp)
crashing. It is true that I only had to deal with 2 files:
~$plan2004.doc and plan2004.doc. And there was no other .tmp file,
at frst sight. In fact, there was, but I had to dig it from the hard
(God knows where I found it!), and it was hidden attributed. And,
that is right, this file is named something like this ~wrd0002.tmp.
It is slightly different from original (formated adds were not the
same), but the content is untouched, and that is the most important.
The rest was very easy...formating the content...save as...and
that's it.
Thx Everyone! Now, I can keep my job!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
steveb steveb is offline

I have read the answers to this post but not sure the answer I need is there.
I have upgraded from ME to XP
My MS Word program is Word 2002 SP3
When I open a document (eg: The Document) in Word it immediately saves a 1k
document with the name ~$e Document (tilde and dollar sign replacing first
two letters of title) in the same file as the original document. Opening this
new document shows the information I have on File/Properties/Summary for
Author and Company and nothing else.
Problem: Unless I delete this 1k document before I start working on the main
document the computer soon locks and can only be reactivated through
switching off the power. Any suggestions?

"arhangelmihailo" wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I did it, I got me out of this problem. I can't believe it was so
simple! Well, here it is. As we all know, there has to be a
.tmp file that
Word makes, and thx God this is very useful in case of Word (or comp)
crashing. It is true that I only had to deal with 2 files:
~$plan2004.doc and plan2004.doc. And there was no other .tmp file,
at frst sight. In fact, there was, but I had to dig it from the hard
(God knows where I found it!), and it was hidden attributed. And,
that is right, this file is named something like this ~wrd0002.tmp.
It is slightly different from original (formated adds were not the
same), but the content is untouched, and that is the most important.
The rest was very easy...formating the content...save as...and
that's it.
Thx Everyone! Now, I can keep my job!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Steve,

The 'owner files' (~$*.*) are part of the Word temporary file structure it uses for normal operations explained here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211632/en-us?FR=1
It's not actually a document to be opened, but a placeholder to help prevent attempts to edit more than one copy of a document at
the same time (which could result in losing document contents).

The Windows version doesn't matter in the creation of the temporary files, but the settings for Windows Explorer do show hidden
files does affect if you see these temporary files or not.

Normally, when you close Word all files found from Start=Search using
~$*.*
should be found only in or can be sent to your Recycle bin.
If those files aren't being deleted then it can be from Word not being shutdown properly, or folder permissions that don't allow
these to be deleted.

===========
"steveb" wrote in message ...
I have read the answers to this post but not sure the answer I need is there.
I have upgraded from ME to XP
My MS Word program is Word 2002 SP3
When I open a document (eg: The Document) in Word it immediately saves a 1k
document with the name ~$e Document (tilde and dollar sign replacing first
two letters of title) in the same file as the original document. Opening this
new document shows the information I have on File/Properties/Summary for
Author and Company and nothing else.
Problem: Unless I delete this 1k document before I start working on the main
document the computer soon locks and can only be reactivated through
switching off the power. Any suggestions?
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is the "owner file," and you should not be able to delete it while the
associated document is open; see €śDescription of how Word creates temporary
files€ť at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632.

If you are experiencing trouble with the document, it is *not* caused by the
presence of this file, which is required. You may want to explore whether
the document is corrupt; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

[...]

(...

"arhangelmihailo" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Steve,

In addition to what Bob said, read
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm. The presence or
absence of any particular owner file shouldn't cause Word to lock up, but
you will have trouble if there are tons of these and other temporary files
that were orphaned when you powered off.

After cleaning up the temp files, if Word still locks up, see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...peningWord.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"steveb" wrote in message
I have read the answers to this post but not sure the answer I need
is there.
I have upgraded from ME to XP
My MS Word program is Word 2002 SP3
When I open a document (eg: The Document) in Word it immediately
saves a 1k
document with the name ~$e Document (tilde and dollar sign replacing
first
two letters of title) in the same file as the original document.
Opening this
new document shows the information I have on File/Properties/Summary
for
Author and Company and nothing else.
Problem: Unless I delete this 1k document before I start working on
the main
document the computer soon locks and can only be reactivated through
switching off the power. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
steveb steveb is offline

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will investigate them.
However, this identical 1k file is automatically generated with any of my MS
Word files I open. I can also delete it without getting the message that it,
or the main file, is open. This is while the original main file is open. I
have the same Word program on my laptop but it does not act this way.

"arhangelmihailo" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Steve,

Are you referring to the locking up or that you aren't seeing the owner files? If you haven't set Windows explorer to show hidden
files you won't see the owner files.

============
"steveb" wrote in message ...
Thanks for all your suggestions, I will investigate them.
However, this identical 1k file is automatically generated with any of my MS
Word files I open. I can also delete it without getting the message that it,
or the main file, is open. This is while the original main file is open. I
have the same Word program on my laptop but it does not act this way.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
steveb steveb is offline

Bob:
Have been away for a few days.
This is what I have to do when working on Word if I wish to avoid my
computer locking up:
1. Go to file "Open" and get the document I need.
2. Immediately go back to file "Open" where on the list of files is a new
one (1K) starting with ~$ in place of the first two characters of my open
document name. My original file name is still listed normally.
3. Right click and delete this ~$ file which sends it to the recycle bin.
4. Close the list of files.
5. Work on the original document.
If I forget to do steps 2 to 4, at some point the computer locks. I have to
switch it off, re-boot and recover the file I am working on.
Thanks
Steve

"steveb" wrote in message ...
Thanks for all your suggestions, I will investigate them.
However, this identical 1k file is automatically generated with any of my MS
Word files I open. I can also delete it without getting the message that it,
or the main file, is open. This is while the original main file is open. I
have the same Word program on my laptop but it does not act this way.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You can delete the Owner files. I'm not sure what would happen in a
shared environment if it was deleted and someone else tried to open
the file, though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You should not be able to delete this "owner" file while the
document is
open, and I'm very surprised that you can. See "Description of how
Word
creates temporary files" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"steveb" wrote in message

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will investigate them.
However, this identical 1k file is automatically generated with
any of

my MS
Word files I open. I can also delete it without getting the
message that

it,
or the main file, is open. This is while the original main file
is open.

have the same Word program on my laptop but it does not act this
way.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

That is strange. Have you tried starting Word in Safe Mode to see if
it occurs? I'm wondering if a third-party add-in could be causing the
problem. To start Word in Safe Mode, hold Ctrl while starting Word and
keep it held down until you're prompted to start in Safe Mode. Then to
verify, the title bar should read Safe Mode.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"steveb" wrote in message
Thanks for all your suggestions, I will investigate them.
However, this identical 1k file is automatically generated with any
of my MS
Word files I open. I can also delete it without getting the message
that it,
or the main file, is open. This is while the original main file is
open. I
have the same Word program on my laptop but it does not act this
way.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I'm really not sure - I think it might be fairly new. Perhaps the
behavior was changed with the multi-user editing of documents in Word
2002??
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292122

I've deleted the owner file in the past when I've encountered "this
file is opened by another user" message after I've made editing
changes to a global template (in a network environment when someone
has Word running and the template is loaded) to fool Word into
thinking it wasn't actually open so I can save my changes. This method
doesn't always work - I have encountered "permission denied" errors
occasionally - and I when it does work I have to find the computer
that does have Word running and carefully read the messages, something
like "this document was changed since it was opened, do you want to
update or discard changes, or my changes will end up being
overwritten.

Now that I think about it, maybe I do have an idea of what would

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Beth,

I saw exactly that behavior today. I have Word 2003 in my main
partition and Word 2007 B2TR in a Virtual PC partition. I had saved a
document from 2007 into a shared folder. Later, forgetting that the
document was still open in 2007, I tried to open it in 2003. I thought
I'd fake it out by deleting the owner file, which I was able to do,
but it still gave me a permission-denied error. I couldn't open it
until I went back to 2007 and closed the document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I think the success rate has something to do with it being a global
template and if the template was actually edited by the original
"owner". I don't know for sure - usually when I'm in that situation I
don't have time to start experimenting which is the underlying reason
why I came up with the idea to try it in the first place. g

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Hi Beth,

I saw exactly that behavior today. I have Word 2003 in my main
partition and Word 2007 B2TR in a Virtual PC partition. I had saved
document from 2007 into a shared folder. Later, forgetting that the
document was still open in 2007, I tried to open it in 2003. I
thought
I'd fake it out by deleting the owner file, which I was able to do,
but it still gave me a permission-denied error. I couldn't open it
until I went back to 2007 and closed the document.

..

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
meowkatt2002 meowkatt2002 is offline

Where & how do I look for the original file? One of mine, with my passwords
on it, somehow changed & has the $. When I open it it comes out in rectangles
& a box to choose languages. Which ever language I choose it still isn't my
document. Can someone give me exact directions to try & find my doc? I
desperatly need it.

"arhangelmihailo" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The original file should be in the same folder as the ~$ temporary owner
file. The ~$ temporary owner file doesn't contain any part of your
original file, so it won't do you any good to open it.

If the original file isn't there, then restore it from a recent backup
of desperately needed files. There are two kinds of computer users:
those who have a backup, and those who wish they did.

meowkatt2002 wrote:

Where & how do I look for the original file? One of mine, with my passwords
on it, somehow changed & has the $. When I open it it comes out in rectangles
& a box to choose languages. Which ever language I choose it still isn't my
document. Can someone give me exact directions to try & find my doc? I
desperatly need it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
meowkatt2002 meowkatt2002 is offline

Thanks. I got it. I had to get it through MyDocuments page not from the Word
page, but it worked.