Ramesh Srinivasan

Default "change case" not working for Unicode characters

I am using a Unicode font in Word 2003 running under Windows XP SP2.

For the following characters that are entered in lower-case, I am unable to
"Change Case" to upper-case or turn on Small Caps for these characters:

m-overdot
n-overdot
t-underdot
d-underdot
l-underdot
n-underdot
m-underdot
s-underdot

I have experienced this with atleast 3 different Unicode fonts.

Has anybody else seen this? Is this a known bug and if so, is there a
workaround?

Thank you,
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Ramesh:

I think that's not a bug (well, it may be a bug, but in the font, not
Word...).

I believe that if the font you are using does not contain upper-case
characters for those characters, or if the font is not correctly encoded to
indicate the upper-case variants, then Change Case will have no effect, and
thus, so will Small Caps.

I don't know enough about those characters: do they actually HAVE upper-case
variants?

Regards

On 2/8/05 3:51 AM, in article
, "Ramesh Srinivasan"
wrote:

I am using a Unicode font in Word 2003 running under Windows XP SP2.

For the following characters that are entered in lower-case, I am unable to
"Change Case" to upper-case or turn on Small Caps for these characters:

m-overdot
n-overdot
t-underdot
d-underdot
l-underdot
n-underdot
m-underdot
s-underdot

I have experienced this with atleast 3 different Unicode fonts.

Has anybody else seen this? Is this a known bug and if so, is there a
workaround?

Thank you,

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 4 1209 1410

Word Field Formatting Victor Lazlo Mailmerge 2 July 28th 05 10:15 AM
CardText Field Switch JoyceA Mailmerge 2 June 18th 05 11:05 AM
Method for displaying dollar amount as written on bank check samandmonty Microsoft Word Help 5 May 11th 05 10:54 PM
Change Case (Title Case) kbreiss Mailmerge 3 March 17th 05 09:05 AM
How do I turn dollar amounts into words? Theresa Wright New Users 5 January 25th 05 11:28 AM