Don

Default Very Slow Directory Access

I have had a recurring problem that seems to be getting worse. If I try to
perform some sort of file operation (i.e. open, attach, etc) with any Office
2003 product, it takes an extended period of time (5-20 seconds) to move to
the next level of the directory tree. For example, just recently was trying
to attach a file to an Outlook message. When the file select window came up
I picked one of the machine's other local drives. It took a while to
display the contents of the drive. When I selected a folder, it once again
took a while to show the contents of the folder.

This problem has been around since I had Office 2000 on my machine, and the
delay has been getting longer as time goes on. Now, I do have my machine
networked to another Win2000 machine which has some of its drives mapped to
my main machine. And most of the time this machine is not turned on. Could
it be that the Office products are trying to access the mapped drives and it
is just taking a long time for it to time out?

Thanks!

Don

TF

That is your problem. If the other machine isn't turned on, Windows is
trying to establish the drive mapping and they are not available: Windows
times out and then moves on. Remove the mapping and any other links that are
invalid and it should be OK again.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/