Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Old.Professor Old.Professor is offline

Default Make a document map whne there are no good headers

I'm working with a document that doesn't have good headers (and I'm
not permitted to change). I would liek to add a document map for
navigation purposes. Is there a way I can make a document map without
changing how the document looks?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

"Old.Professor" wrote in message
I'm working with a document that doesn't have good headers (and I'm
not permitted to change). I would liek to add a document map for
navigation purposes. Is there a way I can make a document map without
changing how the document looks?

You'll still need to modify the document if you want to use the Document
Map. You can either use the Heading styles (and modify the formatting so it
looks identical to the current formatting) or you can use the Paragraph
dialog box (click the dialog box launcher in the Paragraph group on the Home
tab) and set an Outline Level for the paragraphs you want to display in the
Document Map.

Using the Heading styles is probably the easiest since I noted you are using
Word 2007 in another post. :-) All you need to do is place your insertion
point in a paragraph you wish to have appear as Level 1 in the Document Map,
right-click Heading 1 in the Quick Styles gallery (on the Home tab) and then
click "Update to match selection". Do the same for each Outline Level you
want to see using the corresponding Heading style. Then simply apply the
Heading styles to your document accordingly. Of course if the formatting
isn't the same for each Outline Level then you'll need to set the Outline
Level using the Paragraph dialog box.
--
Beth Melton

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface: