Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Peter Reaper[_2_] Peter Reaper[_2_] is offline

Default Add Text to Page Numbers (and to TOC)

Hi:

I would like to put some text in front of my page numbers in the footer
of each page.

- e.g.: FooBar / Page 1
FooBar / Page 2
etc.

The prepended text in this example is "FooBar / Page ".

I also want this text to appear (together with the page number) in the
table of contents (TOC).

- e.g.: Chapter Title ............. FooBar / Page 1

Can someone please tell me how to do this in Microsoft Word 2003?

Thank you!
--
Regards,

Peter Reaper

The browser you can trust: www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox: www.GetThunderbird.com

Israel - Myths & Facts: http://www.JewishVirtualLibrary.org/
Dangers of Islam (German): http://www.pi-news.net/
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster: http://www.venganza.org/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

For the first part, simply edit the header or footer where the page number
is and insert the text you want before the page number. It will be repeated
on pages where that footer/header appears. For the 2nd part, I can't think
of a way to do it without manually creating/editing the TOC. Perhaps someone
else will have some idea.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
"Peter Reaper" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Peter Reaper Peter Reaper is offline

My primary (and still unsolved) problem is the second part
(auto-generate TOC, which includes the text before the page number). I
actually already knew how to put "dumb" text in front of the page number
in the footer - but not how to do it so it becomes part of the TOC,
which is my actual question. Sorry for not being more clear.

I hope some other MVP will have a solution. We do a lot of work for the
DOD and they often want page numbers and TOCs that include some text
(e.g., "15/1 1", where only the last number is the page number).

PS. Herb: your signature delimiter ("-- ") is causing my original post
from being included in my current reply (because Thunderbird removes
everything below a proper signature delimiter). Please either "break"
your signature delimiter or set your UA to put your signature *below*
the quoted post.

Peter wrote:
I would like to put some text in front of my page numbers in the footer of each page.

- e.g.: FooBar / Page 1
FooBar / Page 2
etc.

The prepended text in this example is "FooBar / Page ".

I also want this text to appear (together with the page number) in the table of contents (TOC).

- e.g.: Chapter Title ............. FooBar / Page 1

Can someone please tell me how to do this in Microsoft Word 2003?

Thank you!

--
Regards,

Peter Reaper

The browser you can trust: www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox: www.GetThunderbird.com

Israel - Myths & Facts: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/
Dangers of Islam (German): http://www.pi-news.net/
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster: http://www.venganza.org/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Henk57[_183_] Henk57[_183_] is offline

Peter wrote:-
[...]

Peter, you could add a chapter number in front of the page number. If
this "15/1" in yr last post is reflecting the chapter numbering, it
might be doable, depending on the exact format of the paragraph
numbering (it also requires to define the paragraph numbering in the
right way - see www.shaunakelly.com). Pls post again with more detailed
requirements if you need more help.
HTH - Henk

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Henk57 said on 8.2.2008 23:16:
Peter Reaper;2618550 Wrote:
My primary (and still unsolved) problem is the second part
(auto-generate TOC, which includes the text before the page number). I

Peter, you could add a chapter number in front of the page number. If
this "15/1" in yr last post is reflecting the chapter numbering, it
might be doable, depending on the exact format of the paragraph
numbering (it also requires to define the paragraph numbering in the
right way - see www.shaunakelly.com). Pls post again with more detailed
requirements if you need more help.
HTH - Henk

The "15" is the section number, which is the only section this document
contains. The other "sections" are located in other files. I am only
responsible for this section, so I can't create a "master document" that
combines all sections' documents. The "/1" is the version/revision
number of the document.

I need to be able to prepend the TOC page number with just text ("15/1
"), unless I can create a "chapter" that looks like "15/1 " and that is
not "visible" in the document.

I'll try your suggestion, but I'm not sure what you mean. My level of
density usually requires step-by-step instructions. :-[

Thanks!
--
Regards,

Peter Reaper

The browser you can trust: www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox: www.GetThunderbird.com

Israel - Myths & Facts: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/
Dangers of Islam (German): http://www.pi-news.net/
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster: http://www.venganza.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Henk57[_184_] Henk57[_184_] is offline

Peter Reaper;2621213 Wrote:
Henk57 said on 8.2.2008 23:16:-
Peter Reaper;2618550 Wrote:-
[...]

Just an idea to try:
1. Create one heading in the beginning of your body text that is not
used (say Heading 9) that shows as "15/1 abc", where 15/1 is the
_outline_ number (to be defined according to the instructions from
Shauna Kelly)
2. Format it as white font so it appears invisible. Don't make the
text hidden.
3. Insert / Page Number / [Format...] and check "Include chapter
number". Assign it to Heading 9.
The page number now picks up the 15/1 as long as it doesn't find a
second Heading 9.

It's late here, and I have to go, but I think it's doable, yet requires
some efforts. My only hesitation is whether "15/1 " can be formatted as
outline number.

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Henk57 on 10.02.2008 23:56 wrote:
Peter Reaper;2621213 Wrote:
Henk57 said on 8.2.2008 23:16:-
Peter Reaper;2618550 Wrote:-
[...]

www.shaunakelly.com didn't yield anything, but there was a link to
further instructions at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Number...pterNumber.htm

I created a "Heading 9", modified its style's "numbering" to "15/1" (and
deleted all gray "1.1.1."s), inserted a "Heading 9" at top of my
document (in the section where the page numbers start), went into the
footer, selected "Format Page Number", [x]include chapter number,
Chapter starts with style [Heading 9], Use separator [hyphen].

I get nothing. The page number in the footer is still only a single
number, and the TOC is also only a single number - no "15/1".

PS. Can I post in HTML with screenshots here?
--
Regards,

Peter Reaper

The browser you can trust: www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox: www.GetThunderbird.com

Israel - Myths & Facts: http://www.JewishVirtualLibrary.org/
Dangers of Islam (German): http://www.pi-news.net/
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster: http://www.venganza.org/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

see www.shaunakelly.com).

Just an idea to try: 1. Create one heading in the beginning of your body text that is not used (say Heading 9) that shows as "15/1 abc", where 15/1 is the _outline_ number (to be defined according to the instructions from Shauna Kelly) 2. Format it as white font so it appears invisible. Don't make the text hidden. 3. Insert / Page Number / [Format...] and check "Include chapter number". Assign it to Heading 9. The page number now picks up the 15/1 as long as it doesn't find a second Heading 9.

Screenshots:

-- Regards, Peter Reaper The browser you can trust: www.GetFirefox.com Reclaim Your Inbox: www.GetThunderbird.com Israel - Myths & Facts: http://www.JewishVirtualLibrary.org/ Dangers of Islam (German): http://www.pi-news.net/ Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster: http://www.venganza.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Henk57[_189_] Henk57[_189_] is offline

'Peter Reaper[_2_ Wrote:
;2626827']Henk57 on 10.02.2008 23:56 wrote:-
Peter Reaper;2621213 Wrote: -
Henk57 said on 8.2.2008 23:16:-
Peter Reaper;2618550 Wrote:-
[...]

Ok, I fiddled a bit and to show 15/1 you need two levels - 15 and 1,
separated by the forward slash, because only the "gray" fields are
picked up as the chapter. So it'll cost you Heading 8 ("15") - must be
gray "1" in yr set up, and choose start at 15. Base Level 9 on level 8,
so Heading 9 shows 15/1 - with 15 and 1 both grey, the / just plain text
between it. Now the chapter assignment to heading 9 in the page number
will show 15/1-1, 15/1-2, etc.
(PS: make sure Level 8 and 9 do not cause problems later if the
document is assembled with other chapters)

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Henk57 on 15.02.2008 23:16 wrote:

Ok, I fiddled a bit and to show 15/1 you need two levels - 15 and 1, separated by the forward slash, because only the "gray" fields are picked up as the chapter. So it'll cost you Heading 8 ("15") - must be gray "1" in yr set up, and choose start at 15. Base Level 9 on level 8, so Heading 9 shows 15/1 - with 15 and 1 both grey, the / just plain text between it. Now the chapter assignment to heading 9 in the page number will show 15/1-1, 15/1-2, etc. (PS: make sure Level 8 and 9 do not cause problems later if the document is assembled with other chapters

It worked !!! It's a "bit" convoluted, but it worked!!! :-)

Thank you Henk57.

BTW: I wrote a note on how it's done. Here it is, in case you qant to re-use it:

Word - include random alpha-numeric chapter number (e.g., 15/1) in table of contents (TOC)

Desired Text must be defined as a "Header x" (best: Header 9) with a gray counter field.
Header x must exist once in the body (not in the header/footer). Don't add text to it.
Modify the style of Header 9: white text (invisible) Modify the style of Header 8: numbering / <gray #> / start at 15 Modify the style of Header 9: make based on Heading 8 / numbering / previous level: 8 (gray) / slash / Level 9 (gray). For page numbers: Format page number: [x] include chapter number - starts with style: Heading 9 For TOC: like always