Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dale

Default One Letter Names in Salutation

Hi All, I am resending this as I think I posted it in the wrong group
previously.

I do a lot of mail merges using MS Word. I've dealt some with field codes
and macros but this situation stumps me. Is there a way/how would I deal
with one letter first names in a salutation. For instance, if I'm trying to
use the first name field of an individual from my data but the first and
last name looks like "D Jones" then the resulting salutation would be "Dear
D". Obviously this is not good. I would think the answer lies in proper
use of the If-Then-Else style Word Field. Therein lies my problem. How to
build an IF statement from looking at my data and deciding whether or not
the data is only one character long.

Can someone suggest how this may be done? I surmise possibly a Word
"compare" field might do but again, syntax gets in my way.

Help!

Regards
Dale