P.Bradac

Default Missing linked pictures in Master/sub document

Using Word 2003 I have a master document with included subdocuments,
each of them in separate folder. Each subdocument has a number of linked
pictures (not embedded!). They are all in the same folder as the
document they are linked to.

The problem I have is, I don't see the pictures when opening the master
document and expanding the subdocuments. (just "red" crosses and
placeholders for them). If I view the subdocument by itself the pictures
are there!

Is there any remedy for this?

TIA,
Primoz
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi P.Bradac,

Using Word 2003 I have a master document with included subdocuments,
each of them in separate folder. Each subdocument has a number of linked
pictures (not embedded!). They are all in the same folder as the
document they are linked to.

The problem I have is, I don't see the pictures when opening the master
document and expanding the subdocuments. (just "red" crosses and
placeholders for them). If I view the subdocument by itself the pictures
are there!

If the pictures are linked, then they're linked using IncludePicture
fields, which you should see if you press Alt+F9. If you don't see them,
then the pictures are formatted with text wrap? In that case, put at least
one of them in-line with the text so that you can see the field. Does the
field use a relative path? If it does, then the problem is likely that,
when the sub-documents are opened in the Master, the relative path is
referencing the path of the MASTER document, so isn't finding the pictures.

You'll need to create absolute file paths for these links, or change the
relative paths to be relative to the Master file.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Problems printing pictures in word sciencedork Microsoft Word Help 0 June 1st 05 12:13 AM
numbering chapter sub headings c_angler Microsoft Word Help 36 May 17th 05 04:07 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Section of Word Document is missing SKS Formatting Long Documents 0 February 28th 05 03:43 PM
when opening a new word document the header & footers are missing sogradis Microsoft Word Help 1 December 12th 04 06:21 AM