BMCM

Default Word should let me ignore spelling or grammar problems for a docum

Word already has the ability to ignore spelling problems. You can Ignore
Once or Ignore All.

I suggest a change in the way this works. It would be useful to me to be
able to get Word to Ignore All and make it stick. There are times when a
spelling is not actually incorrect, but I wouldn't want to add it to my
dictionary. This might be the case for document-specific abbreviations, for
instance.

Equally, when Grammar checking, I'd like to be able to ignore the rule once,
but have Word remember my decision so that when I return to edit the
document, I don't need to make the decision again.

BenJAMMIN

So what you are saying is that you want Microsoft Office/Word to be a mind
reader for you? Remember the "Ignore All" rule forever but only on certain
areas, other times you want the software to remember the rule for a specific
document only and then other times you want the software to remember that
specific document and the previous decesions and then allow you to deceide
what you want for today?

"BMCM" wrote:

Word already has the ability to ignore spelling problems. You can Ignore
Once or Ignore All.

I suggest a change in the way this works. It would be useful to me to be
able to get Word to Ignore All and make it stick. There are times when a
spelling is not actually incorrect, but I wouldn't want to add it to my
dictionary. This might be the case for document-specific abbreviations, for
instance.

Equally, when Grammar checking, I'd like to be able to ignore the rule once,
but have Word remember my decision so that when I return to edit the
document, I don't need to make the decision again.

BMCM

No need for the software to perform anything so tricky as "mind-reading".

What I would like is for an option in the spellchecker to say "I would like
to ignore this spelling error throughout this document." The program could
store that decision in the document, and not show this particular one as an
error next time round. Remember, the document file has far more info stored
than just the text - this would be another piece of info to store.

Similarly, for the Grammar checker, I'd like to be able to ignore a rule
Once, but also have Word remember my decision so I don't have to ignore it
again when I return to edit the document. There may be a rule that is valid
most of the time, but not for a particluar piece of text. My proposal would
permit the software to store this decision (again in the document) and not
prompt me about it again. This would be more difficult to implement than
part 1, but not impossible.

Until such time as Word provides the functionality you suggest, here's what
you can do. Create a character style called No Proofing. It should be based
on the Default Paragraph Font and identical to it except that the Language
is set to "Do not check spelling or grammar." When you want Word to ignore a
"misspelled" word, apply the No Proofing character style.

"BMCM" wrote in message
Word already has the ability to ignore spelling problems. You can Ignore
Once or Ignore All.

I suggest a change in the way this works. It would be useful to me to be
able to get Word to Ignore All and make it stick. There are times when a
spelling is not actually incorrect, but I wouldn't want to add it to my
dictionary. This might be the case for document-specific abbreviations,

for
instance.

Equally, when Grammar checking, I'd like to be able to ignore the rule

once,
but have Word remember my decision so that when I return to edit the
document, I don't need to make the decision again.

If you assign a keyboard shortcut to the No Proofing style, it should be as
easy as applying Bold or Italic.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Until such time as Word provides the functionality you suggest, here's

what
you can do. Create a character style called No Proofing. It should be

based
on the Default Paragraph Font and identical to it except that the

Language
is set to "Do not check spelling or grammar." When you want Word to

ignore a
"misspelled" word, apply the No Proofing character style.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

BMCM

Thanks Suzanne,