Bruce G in Big Rapids

Default outline - indentation

How do I set up Word 2002 for indenting all successive lines of a paragraph
at the same tab-stop as the first line. I am preparing a long document that
is basically in outline format. Each paragraph is numbered or lettered and
the first line is then indented to the next tab-stop. I can't seem to
prevent the 2nd and 3rd lines and so on from reverting back to the margin
associated with the letter or number, which is NOT where I want them to be.
I want them to follow directly underneath the same indentation as the text
of the first line.

What should I be doing to accomplish this?

Bruce

Shauna Kelly

Hi Bruce

As a start, see
How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word
document
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

"Bruce G in Big Rapids" wrote in message
How do I set up Word 2002 for indenting all successive lines of a
paragraph at the same tab-stop as the first line. I am preparing a long
document that is basically in outline format. Each paragraph is numbered
or lettered and the first line is then indented to the next tab-stop. I
can't seem to prevent the 2nd and 3rd lines and so on from reverting back
to the margin associated with the letter or number, which is NOT where I
want them to be. I want them to follow directly underneath the same
indentation as the text of the first line.

What should I be doing to accomplish this?

Bruce

Shauna's article will help you set up numbering correctly, but for a general
answer to your question, the formatting you need is a "hanging indent." You
can set this in the Format | Paragraph dialog or by dragging the Hanging
Indent marker on the ruler. For numbered paragraphs, however, the indent
needs to be set in the Numbering dialog, as that overrides settings in the
Paragraph dialog.