GrapeTV

Default Margin Measurement Changed to PT Rather Than Inches

For some reason, my horizontal ruler measurement has changed from inches (")
to pt (pt). This is also the case in the page set up. I have not been able
to figure out how to get my margin measurement to default back to inches (").
Help!
garfield-n-odie

In Word, click on Tools | Options | General | Measurement units:
Inches | OK. If that doesn't work, then see
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299339 "You cannot change
ruler measurement unit from character units after upgrade to
Office XP" or http://www.gmayor.com/Character_Units.htm .

GrapeTV wrote:

For some reason, my horizontal ruler measurement has changed from inches (")
to pt (pt). This is also the case in the page set up. I have not been able
to figure out how to get my margin measurement to default back to inches (").
Help!

singsong

GrapeTV wrote:

For some reason, my horizontal ruler measurement has changed from
inches (") to pt (pt). This is also the case in the page set up. I
have not been able to figure out how to get my margin measurement to
default back to inches ("). Help!

Unfortunately, I'm using Word 2000 with Win2000, so the Microsoft FAQ
about XP and Word 2003 doesn't apply.

Last week, the ruler on old documents began to default to points when I
converted them to Adobe PDF (Acrobat 7 Pro). Now many, but not all old
and new documents default to points. I can change anything to inches,
I've trashed and recreated my Normal.dot but it continues to happen.

Can you suggest a troubleshooting approach, please?

Thank you,

R.
Stefan Blom

Have you tried the solution at
http://www.gmayor.com/Character_Units.htm ? The object model of Word
2000 certainly includes the UseCharacterUnit property, so it is
possible that this is the problem.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

GrapeTV wrote:

For some reason, my horizontal ruler measurement has changed from
inches (") to pt (pt). This is also the case in the page set up.

have not been able to figure out how to get my margin measurement

default back to inches ("). Help!

Unfortunately, I'm using Word 2000 with Win2000, so the Microsoft

about XP and Word 2003 doesn't apply.

Last week, the ruler on old documents began to default to points

when I
converted them to Adobe PDF (Acrobat 7 Pro). Now many, but not all

old
and new documents default to points. I can change anything to

inches,
I've trashed and recreated my Normal.dot but it continues to happen.

Can you suggest a troubleshooting approach, please?

Thank you,

R.

singsong

Stefan Blom wrote:
Have you tried the solution at
http://www.gmayor.com/Character_Units.htm ? The object model of Word
2000 certainly includes the UseCharacterUnit property, so it is
possible that this is the problem.

I have, but that is about character units not points vs. inches. It
seems to be an Adobe PDFwriter problem. I'll check in Adobe land.

Thank you!

singsong

Stefan Blom wrote:
Have you tried the solution at
http://www.gmayor.com/Character_Units.htm ? The object model of Word
2000 certainly includes the UseCharacterUnit property, so it is
possible that this is the problem.

The Adobe workaround (this was an Adobe Acrobat-caused problem) is to
print to PDF rather than use the PDF on the toolbar. It worked!
Stefan Blom

I'm glad to learn that you found a solution!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP