tsmith5 tsmith5 is offline
Junior Member

Default Protect Forms & enable text edit (2003)

Hello

I am creating a template to be used by my company. In this template, I'd like to have a section that utilizes forms and another that enables user text (either in body of document or via text box - not picky)

The tables section that contains the forms are mandatory inputs which should not be altered by any user of the template. The user input text is optional.

My problem arises when I try to protect the forms, as it will not allow for text edit in the rest of the document. I've tried to use Protection formatting restrictions, but can't figure out a way to protect the tables (also, when removing the protections I've experimented with, all document formatting is erased)

Also, I've read online that I should be able to protect 'sections' but don't know where to look for this option or how to use it

FYI - other areas I'd like to leave open for editing a header/footer & org charts

Thanks for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You need to insert a Section Break (probably a continuous one in your case)
to separate the forms section for the free-text section of the document.
When you then go to apply Protection to a multi-section document, you will
be able to select the Sections to which the Protection for filling in forms
is applied/

Note, applying such protection does preclude the use of some of Words other
features throughout the whole of the document.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.
"tsmith5" wrote in message

[...]

tsmith5 tsmith5 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Robbins - Word MVP View Post

"tsmith5" wrote in message

[...]

Great - this is what I want to do. However I can't seem to find Multi-Section Protection. Can anyone guide me through this process?

ex here are my steps:
new document
insert table, apply forms
insert break - continuous section break
tools - protect document
sidebar options:
1. Formatting Restrictions
2. Editing Restrictions
3. Start Enforcement

Where do I find the options to choose which section to protect?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When your document contains more than one section, you should see an
inconspicuous blue link under the dropdown in which you have selected
"Filling in forms" that says "Select sections..." Click on that to get a
dialog with check boxes for the sections to be protected. Once you have done
that "the long way," you'll be able to use the padlock button on the Forms
toolbar to unprotect and reprotect the selected section(s).

http://word.mvps.org

"tsmith5" wrote in message

Doug Robbins - Word MVP;444217 Wrote:
You need to insert a Section Break (probably a continuous one in your
case)
to separate the forms section for the free-text section of the
document.
When you then go to apply Protection to a multi-section document, you
will
be able to select the Sections to which the Protection for filling in
forms
is applied/

Note, applying such protection does preclude the use of some of Words
other
features throughout the whole of the document.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my
services on
a paid professional basis.
"tsmith5" wrote in message
...-

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You must check the box under "2. Editing Restrictions" and then use the
pulldown control to select the "Filling in forms" option. Then if your
document contains multiple sections, you will see a "Select sections..."
link. If you click on that link, a Section Protection dialog box will
appear that contains a list of the Sections in your document and a check box
of each by means of which you can control to which Sections the protection
is to be applied.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

[...]