Larryq22

Default How to modify Normal.dot successfully?

In Word 2003, I've changed Normal.dot by adding header, footer, changing
font, changing margins, and probably more.. BUT... these changes don't
appear when starting a new document, even in print layout view. Worse, the
first line of type is on the very top. I need to do a "print preview" to see
the desired layout.

What's wrong?
Jay Freedman

Larryq22 wrote:
In Word 2003, I've changed Normal.dot by adding header, footer,
changing font, changing margins, and probably more.. BUT... these
changes don't appear when starting a new document, even in print
layout view. Worse, the first line of type is on the very top. I
need to do a "print preview" to see the desired layout.

What's wrong?

In Tools Options View, check the box for "White space between pages".
Having that option unchecked suppresses the empty spaces at the tops and
bottoms of pages. It also suppresses display of headers and footers (in
other words, it makes it more like Normal view, but with the WYSIWYG
attributes of Print Layout view). See http://www.gmayor.com/white_space.htm.

If you ever expect to use the Labels feature in Tools Letters and Mailings
Envelopes and Labels, having headers and footers in your normal.dot is

going to cause problems. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm for a
long list of warnings of this sort.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

For the last problem, see
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/WhiteSpace.htm. As for the rest, have
you edited Normal.dot directly or via the Default... buttons in various
dialogs? Were you prompted to save Normal.dot when you exited Word? If so,
did you say yes? Note that adding header and footer is not recommended. See

"Larryq22" wrote in message
In Word 2003, I've changed Normal.dot by adding header, footer, changing
font, changing margins, and probably more.. BUT... these changes don't
appear when starting a new document, even in print layout view. Worse,

the
first line of type is on the very top. I need to do a "print preview" to

see
the desired layout.

What's wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Okiray Okiray is offline

My language is always set up to Japanese which is my first language, but when
I have to write paper, it is very hard. I have no idea how to fix to 1inch
margin. I tried under format but mine shows by centimeter. I set up by
TimeNEw roman/normal. BUt when I tried to type automatically change to one of
Japanese setting while i am typing in English. I can change typing in
English and Japanese etc, but I cannot figure out how to set up MLA style or
APL style format. I am a senior in a university. I really need a help!!!
Please let me know if anyone knows how to fix my problems. Thanks

"Larryq22" wrote in message
In Word 2003, I've changed Normal.dot by adding header, footer, changing
font, changing margins, and probably more.. BUT... these changes don't
appear when starting a new document, even in print layout view. Worse,

the
first line of type is on the very top. I need to do a "print preview" to

see
the desired layout.

What's wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

1 inch = 2.54 cm If you don't change your default measurement
values, if you type "1 inch," it will show as "2.54 cm" but it will be
correct.

I don't understand your second question.

If you have Word2007, the Ribbon has a "Reference" tab. It has a drop-
down for the Bibliography style, where you can choose MLA or APA. If
you already have citations in your essay, and/or a bibliography, it
will change them when you choose any of the bibliography styles. But
the styles work very badly. It doesn't know how to list a chapter in a
book! It would be better just to type the bibliography as you used to
do.

On Jan 29, 11:27*pm, Okiray wrote:
My language is always set up to Japanese which is my first language, but when
I have to write paper, it is very hard. I have no idea how to fix to 1inch
margin. I tried under format but mine shows by centimeter. *I set up by
TimeNEw roman/normal. BUt when I tried to type automatically change to one of
Japanese setting while i am typing in English. *I can change typing in
English *and Japanese etc, but I cannot figure out how to set up MLA style or
APL style format. *I am a senior in a university. I really need a help!!!
Please let me know if anyone knows how to fix my problems. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's possible that the reference to MLA or APA style just meant that those
styles require a 1" margin.

http://word.mvps.org