Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
THH

Default Saving word files with comment in properties.

I am a longtime lotus word pro user and have recently began the change to
Microsoft Word. How do you insert a "comment" (document discription in Word
Pro) BEFORE you save the file.

The file I want to save is a forms template which is protected. The template
will be used to generate individual documents which are saved (all protected
with the forms protection).

I am using word 2003 running on window XP.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 20:12:01 -0800, THH
wrote:

I am a longtime lotus word pro user and have recently began the change to
Microsoft Word. How do you insert a "comment" (document discription in Word
Pro) BEFORE you save the file.

The file I want to save is a forms template which is protected. The template
will be used to generate individual documents which are saved (all protected
with the forms protection).

I am using word 2003 running on window XP.

In the File Properties dialog, click the Summary tab. The Comments
field is near the bottom.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
THH

Thank you Jay,

The file properties function is not accessable on the protected document
while it is open. Thus, the comments field can not be edited BEFORE the file
is saved again. Once the file has been saved, it can be edited from explorer
but this presents problems should a workgroup member forget to edit the
comments after saving.

Would it be better to save versions of the template as the new documents?
Would that allow me to edit the comments prior to saving the new document
file?

REMEMBER, these are all being created using a template protected by forms
protection.

wrote:

I am a longtime lotus word pro user and have recently began the change to
Microsoft Word. How do you insert a "comment" (document discription in Word
Pro) BEFORE you save the file.

The file I want to save is a forms template which is protected. The template
will be used to generate individual documents which are saved (all protected
with the forms protection).

I am using word 2003 running on window XP.

In the File Properties dialog, click the Summary tab. The Comments
field is near the bottom.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

One way to do this is to put two small macros into the template that
intercept the Save and Save As commands. Each macro unprotects the document,
shows the properties dialog so it can be edited, reprotects the document,
and then carries out the original Save or Save As command. (See
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm if needed.)

Sub FileSave()
With ActiveDocument
If .Type = wdTypeDocument Then
If .ProtectionType wdNoProtection Then
.Unprotect
End If
' display Properties dialog
CommandBars.FindControl(ID:=750).Execute
.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True
End If
.Save
End With
End Sub

Sub FileSaveAs()
With ActiveDocument
If .Type = wdTypeDocument Then
If .ProtectionType wdNoProtection Then
.Unprotect
End If
' display Properties dialog
CommandBars.FindControl(ID:=750).Execute
.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True
End If
Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs).Show
End With
End Sub

The other way would be to provide a single macro that just does the
unprotect, dialog display, and reprotect. This macro could be run from a
toolbar button
(http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...oToToolbar.htm) at any
time.

--