duvalte

Default How can I keep the PDFMaker toolbar from appearing every time I o.

Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes back up when I switch between
documents or when I open a new one.

See http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

"duvalte" wrote in message
Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes back up when I switch between
documents or when I open a new one.

Jack*

I guess I am looking for the opposite here. After installing AA 6.0, I did
have the PDF toolbar in word, but one day it just disappeared, and I used it
enough to want to keep it. Now I can't find a way to restore it. How do I
do that?

"duvalte" wrote in message
Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes back up when I switch between
documents or when I open a new one.

You should have the toolbar provided you have PDFMaker.dot in the Word or
Office Startup folder. Right-click on any toolbar and select PDFMaker 6.0
from the list. Word *should* continue to display the toolbar the next time
you start up if it is displayed when you quit Word, though sometimes getting
Word to save its settings is difficult.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"duvalte" wrote in message
Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes back up when I switch

between
documents or when I open a new one.

Jack*

Before posting here, I did a search for pdfmaker.dot and found it at:

C:\program files\adobe\acrobat6.0\pdfmaker.dot
C:\program files\microsoft office\office10\startup\pdfmaker.dot
C:\program files\microsoft office\office11\startup\pdfmaker.dot

It was also under My Computer twice and there were two shortcuts to it.

Right clicking on any of the Word toolbars produces a list that does not
include pdfmaker.dot If I look at a list of .doc files to open and right
click on a file, I do see the option to convert to PDF, but the PDF toolbar
is no where to be found.

Jack

"duvalte" wrote in message
Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes back up when I switch

between
documents or when I open a new one.

Jack*

Is PDFMaker.dot listed under Tools | Templates and Add-ins?

But of course it is.

If so, is it checked?

But of course it wasn't. Thank you so much, the toolbar is back, but I have
no idea what I did to lose them in the first place. Again, thank you Suzanne.

Jack

"duvalte" wrote in message
Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes back up when I switch
between
documents or when I open a new one.

If you find, after you have restarted Word, that PDFMaker.dot is unchecked
again, then you need to make sure that the Startup folder it's in is the one
Word is actually using (compare it to the path at Tools | Options | File
Locations). If that is all correct, then the only thing I can think of is
that some other add-in is unloading it.

"duvalte" wrote in message
Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes back up when I

switch
between
documents or when I open a new one.

Jack*

I have rebooted and opened word and the pdfmaker toolbar is intact. Thanks
again. Is there a site like this for Norton products? Their knowledge base
is bleak and I am having problems with their disk optimizer.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You should have the toolbar provided you have PDFMaker.dot in the

Word
or
Office Startup folder. Right-click on any toolbar and select

PDFMaker
6.0
from the list. Word *should* continue to display the toolbar the

next
time
you start up if it is displayed when you quit Word, though sometimes
getting
Word to save its settings is difficult.

Microsoft MVP (

Word)
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"duvalte" wrote in message
Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes back up when I

switch
between
documents or when I open a new one.

Usenet has many thousands of NGs, some of which undoubtedly pertain to
Norton products. Whether Symantec hosts any of them (either NNTP NGs or Web
forums) I don't know.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See

http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"duvalte" wrote in

message
Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes back up when I

switch
between
documents or when I open a new one.

Jack*

Usenet has many thousands of NGs...

(either NNTP NGs or Web forums)

Have no clue about the above abbreviations. By no means a computer novice,
I rarely venture into newsgroups. I am overjoyed to find a seriouse site
like this, but most are just sewers in disguise. Not even a newsgroup, I just
discovered that mainstream AOL is the biggest SEWER on the planet.

I have never used AOL but I do use their IM. Two days ago I decided to
check their chat rooms to ask a question about AOL AIM. I entered the room
that seemed most appropriate and saw nothig but trash and was immediately
bombarded with IM's from those within. I then hopped in and out of several
other rooms of varying descriptions and all were the same. I cannot believe
that one single parent on the planet would allow their children to use AOL as
their ISP.

Sorry for the rant, I came here and you solved my problem in a flash, and i
thank you for that.

Jack...by no means a prude, but there are limits.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See

http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"duvalte" wrote in

message
Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes back up when I
switch
between
documents or when I open a new one.

When you read a newsgroup (NG) using a newreader such as Outlook Express,
you are using NNTP, the native format of Usenet NGs. Some companies, such as
Microsoft, offer either their own Web forums (hosted only on their own
servers) or a Web interface to the NNTP NGs. Microsoft both hosts Usenet NGs
(at msnews.microsoft.com) and provides an HTTP (Web) interface (the
Communities) to access them. This is useful for users behind a corporate
firewall that does not permit direct access to Usenet. There are other
third-party portals such as Google Groups (one of the best) and WordForum
(possibly one of the worst) that do much the same thing.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See

http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"duvalte" wrote in

message

Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes back up

when I
switch
between
documents or when I open a new one.

Jack*

The problem I am having is with Norton System Works 2005's System Doctor. I
searched Google Groups for Symantec System Doctor and found ONE string that
seemed similar to my problem. After clicking on 5 or 6 broken links I looked
closer and saw that the string was from 1998.

I then searched for Norton System Works 2005. It showed me HUNDREDS of
places to buy the software but nary a hint of support issues.

Jack

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

When you read a newsgroup (NG) using a newreader such as Outlook Express,
you are using NNTP, the native format of Usenet NGs. Some companies, such as
Microsoft, offer either their own Web forums (hosted only on their own
servers) or a Web interface to the NNTP NGs. Microsoft both hosts Usenet NGs
(at msnews.microsoft.com) and provides an HTTP (Web) interface (the
Communities) to access them. This is useful for users behind a corporate
firewall that does not permit direct access to Usenet. There are other
third-party portals such as Google Groups (one of the best) and WordForum
(possibly one of the worst) that do much the same thing.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"duvalte" wrote in
message

Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes back up

when I
switch
between
documents or when I open a new one.

Jack*

I already used the automated assistant and it checked my system. It found I
had removed a file from my startup that NSW requires. I reselected that item
for startup, but it didn't help the problem. As I said earlier their
Knowledge Base is bleak. As for e-mail, there is an opportunity to tell them
about problems, but they do not respond to those e-mails, they only collect
info. The other e-mail offer is to presend your problem details and get a
control number prior to making a $30 phone call for support. After more than
10 years with Norton, I am thinking of moving on.

Jack

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

When you read a newsgroup (NG) using a newreader such as Outlook

Express,
you are using NNTP, the native format of Usenet NGs. Some companies,

such as
Microsoft, offer either their own Web forums (hosted only on their own
servers) or a Web interface to the NNTP NGs. Microsoft both hosts Usenet

NGs
(at msnews.microsoft.com) and provides an HTTP (Web) interface (the
Communities) to access them. This is useful for users behind a corporate
firewall that does not permit direct access to Usenet. There are other
third-party portals such as Google Groups (one of the best) and

WordForum
(possibly one of the worst) that do much the same thing.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news Usenet has many thousands of NGs...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all

follow-ups
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"duvalte" wrote

in
message

Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes back up
when I
switch
between
documents or when I open a new one.

I have limited my use of Symantec software to NAV (*without* the Office
Plug-in) and have been well-satisfied with that. Perhaps I should knock on
wood before saying that it seems to run (including automatic updates) with
as little disruption as possible, and I'm happy with it (unlike my husband,
who had nothing but trouble with its insistence on trying to phone home
every time he booted up, whether he had an active connection or not), but I
know that, as in all things computer, YMMV.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all

follow-ups
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"duvalte"

wrote
in
message

Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes

back up
when I
switch
between
documents or when I open a new one.

Jack*

If that is so, I assume you use the Windows defragger. It is the NSW System
Doctor that is driving me nuts. In the past it was no problem and always did
a 100% defrag. Now, after doing a 3+ hour long defrag the best I was getting
was a 97% defrag and it is alarmed at 95%. Hours after the defrag, the alarm
was red again and under 95%.

In the past, the clusters were in different colored blocks which supposedly
told you what they were and how often they were used. Now every defragged
cluster is blue meaning that every file on my system is frequently used. DUH!

In the past, below the defragged clusters there would only be a few
unmovable items. Last night I finally got a 100% defrag, but there were
dozens and dozens of used "grey" clusters below the defragged clusters. I
decided to run it again and when it was done - just half an hour ago - I was
at 92% defragged.

If you only use NAV, what firewall do you use?

Jack

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I have limited my use of Symantec software to NAV (*without* the Office
Plug-in) and have been well-satisfied with that. Perhaps I should knock on
wood before saying that it seems to run (including automatic updates) with
as little disruption as possible, and I'm happy with it (unlike my husband,
who had nothing but trouble with its insistence on trying to phone home
every time he booted up, whether he had an active connection or not), but I
know that, as in all things computer, YMMV.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all
follow-ups
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"duvalte"

wrote
in
message

Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes

back up
when I
switch
between
documents or when I open a new one.

I recently installed Zone Alarm Pro (though I'm far from happy with it);
before that I had no firewall. I don't defrag. Well, I did once even though
Windows assured me it wasn't necessary. I've got an 80 GB drive only a
quarter full, so not much fragmentation.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I have limited my use of Symantec software to NAV (*without* the Office
Plug-in) and have been well-satisfied with that. Perhaps I should knock

on
wood before saying that it seems to run (including automatic updates)

with
as little disruption as possible, and I'm happy with it (unlike my

husband,
who had nothing but trouble with its insistence on trying to phone home
every time he booted up, whether he had an active connection or not),

but I
know that, as in all things computer, YMMV.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post

all
follow-ups
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"duvalte"

wrote
in
message

Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes

back up
when I
switch
between
documents or when I open a new one.

Jack*

Seems strange that they would go to the trouble of creating a defragmenting
program if one were not even needed, and then to include that program in
every version of windows since Windows 3.x

I just ran the Norton defrag again, got to 97% and took 2 hrs and 50 minutes.

Jack

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I have limited my use of Symantec software to NAV (*without* the Office
Plug-in) and have been well-satisfied with that. Perhaps I should knock

on
wood before saying that it seems to run (including automatic updates)

with
as little disruption as possible, and I'm happy with it (unlike my

husband,
who had nothing but trouble with its insistence on trying to phone home
every time he booted up, whether he had an active connection or not),

but I
know that, as in all things computer, YMMV.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jack*" wrote in message
news I already used the automated assistant and it checked my system. It

found

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post

all
follow-ups
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"duvalte"

wrote
in
message

Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes
back up
when I
switch
between
documents or when I open a new one.

Graham Mayor

The problems of fragmentation are overstated and made largely irrelevant
with the use of NTFS filing systems. I have rarely found the need to defrag
and have noticed no difference in performance when I have done so.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post

all
follow-ups
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"duvalte"

wrote
in
message

Word 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0
I close the PDFMaker toolbar, but it comes
back up
when I
switch
between
documents or when I open a new one.

Jack*

So I am actually causing my own headaches by allowing that annoying red light
to cause a knee jerk reaction and start a 3 hour defrag. In older versions,
if you used the computer while it was defragging, it wouls stop and start
over, but this version just keeps chugging along. I think I will accept the
consensus of two here and just turn off that defrag sensor.

Then, every month or so, if I sense a nervous breakdown approaching, I will
just run it and go about other chores for a few hours.g