Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] JustJules@gmail.com is offline

Default Using Word numbering for figure numbers?

I am getting a handle on Word's numbering, but I have a question I'm
sure someone has encountered before. My searches didn't find anything
addressing this question, so I thought I would post it here.

I have set up outline numbering throughout a document Levels 1-6 are
headings (some of which are automatically prefixing the chapter name
with "Chapter 1", etc., some which are not), and levels 7-9 are outline
numbered so that the outline numbering resets in each subsection of the
document. This works like a dream.

The problem comes that I'm now trying to integrate figure numbers into
the mix. The previous custodian of this document set them up with
"Figure" as text, then used fields to create ChapterNumber -
FigureNumber. After all I learned about numbering while setting up my
headings, this solution seems inelegant. I had thought I would use
Word's automatic numbering, but then I realized that I had used up all
of the heading levels already while setting up previous styles. Is
there any other way for me to approach this that would allow me to
automatically prefix each figure caption with "Figure
ChapterNumber-FigureNumber"?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but are you saying
that Insert | Reference | Caption: Figure | Numbering: Include chapter
number doesn't do what you need?

oups.com...