Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rich Rich is offline

Default page setup feature not available in endnotes

Anyone know how to enable the page setup feature for endnotes?
Rich Doyle
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm sorry--the way Word is designed, the idea of page setup for endnotes
doesn't really make any sense. Can you explain more specifically what
you are trying to get your document to do?

Rich wrote:
Anyone know how to enable the page setup feature for endnotes?
Rich Doyle

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rich Rich is offline

Rich wrote:
Anyone know how to enable the page setup feature for endnotes?
Rich Doyle

-------------------------
I can set top and bottom margins throught the entire 300+ page book, but not
the endnotes. Unfortunately the endnotes only take up half a page -- too
many half full pages. On an earlier version I was able to correct this
problem and get full pages of endnotes, but I forgot how to correct the
problem.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Okay, much clearer. That's probably not a margin issue. Probably,
there's some random setting attached to the separator lines that Word
puts at the top of endnote pages by default.

See here (especially the last paragraph) to clear those settings:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...tm#RandomLines
(you want #5 Random Lines Appear, if the anchor doesn't work)

If that doesn't work--are the endnotes in their own section? Did you
insert a section break after the main text but before the endnotes?
If so, put the cursor right by the section break and try setting the
margins for that section, and also make sure that File | Page Setup |
Layout | Vertical Alignment is set to Top.

If that doesn't work--what version of Word? and describe the problem in
more detail.
I can set top and bottom margins throught the entire 300+ page book, but not
the endnotes. Unfortunately the endnotes only take up half a page -- too
many half full pages. On an earlier version I was able to correct this
problem and get full pages of endnotes, but I forgot how to correct the
problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rich Rich is offline

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

------------
That worked, Daiya.
Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

glad to help, thanks for confirming.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Melissa P Melissa P is offline

Hi there,

I am having a similar problem. I have two problems.

First, I have endnotes in the document, and have suppressed them at the end
of each chapter so that they appear after the main text and before the
bibliography. However, I need to remove the running head and page number from
the first page of the Endnotes. When I click on 'file' for the drop down
menu, 'page setup' is not highlighted. If I remove the header and page number
by highlighting them, all the other odd page headers and page numbers in the
notes section disappear. I have tried introducing extra section breaks to be
sure that the first header in the notes section is in the first page in a new
section, but nothing works! Can you help?

The second problem is that the top margin of the endnotes pages is different
from the rest of the document. Wherever I put the cursor (ie by section
breaks as was suggested) it tells me that the top margin is 2.1cm. However,
it patently isn't - it looks different! How can I change it precisely? I know
I can use the double-headed arrow on the side ruler to change it, but that
isn't precise enough.

Thanks in advance!

--
Melissa P

glad to help, thanks for confirming.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The difference in top margin is probably caused by the Endnote Continuation
Separator. Even if you have deleted the line, you still have the space
unless you formatted the font size or line height to 1 point or Hidden.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

glad to help, thanks for confirming.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Melissa P Melissa P is offline

Thanks Suzanne, that did the trick on the top margin. Any ideas for the
header problem?
--
Melissa P

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

glad to help, thanks for confirming.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Well, here's what I would suggest. Insert a new paragraph at the end of the
document text before the endnotes, then insert a section break between the
document text and your new (empty) paragraph, in which you could, if you
liked, type Endnotes or the like. This should give you a section that
contains some text other than endnotes, making the header/footer for the
section accessible for formatting.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The difference in top margin is probably caused by the Endnote

Continuation
Separator. Even if you have deleted the line, you still have the space
unless you formatted the font size or line height to 1 point or Hidden.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

glad to help, thanks for confirming.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Melissa P Melissa P is offline

Thanks so much Suzanne, that did the trick too! I put the title 'Notes' at
the top of a new section, and then made a section break (continuous) and
unsuppressed the endnotes at that point. Voila, I had a header! Thanks for
all your help.
--
Melissa P

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

glad to help, thanks for confirming.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Ah, very good. Not quite what I recommended, but whatever works...! I knew I
had done this before but couldn't quite remember what had worked.
Incidentally, one way to deal with the unwanted Endnotes Separator and
Endnotes Continuation Separator is to delete the lines and substitute
"Endnotes" and "Endnotes (continued)." ISTR that there was some problem with
the former, however, and I ended up using a solution like yours, I think. I
guess the problem was that the only way to get the Endnotes heading included
in the TOC (even if I applied Heading 1 style to it) was to take it out of
the endnotes section.