Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Default How can I insert BOTH a header and upper-right page numbering

Some of my book editors like both a header (e.g., author -- book title) and
the page number to appear in the upper right hand corner. This works fine in
WordPerfect, but because Word reckons page numbering to be headers as such I
can't seem to format Word documents this way. Can it be done and, if so,
how?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you want the page number and text to appear in the upper right hand
corner of *every* page put the text and a page number field right aligned in
the header view.
If you want the page number to appear on every page but the text to appear
only on the first page, set a different first page header in page setup and
put the page number field and text in the first page header and the page
number field only in the subsequent page header(s).
If you want the Chapter titles at the top of the page, investigate the use
of the Styleref field in the header.

Prof. JR wrote:
Some of my book editors like both a header (e.g., author -- book
title) and the page number to appear in the upper right hand corner.
This works fine in WordPerfect, but because Word reckons page
numbering to be headers as such I can't seem to format Word
documents this way. Can it be done and, if so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Thanks, Mr. Mayor: I appreciate your time and effort, but I'm still not
clear and so I apologize. Perhaps my first post was itself unclear.

Some editors prefer a header in the upper left corner that give the author's
name and book title (e.g., "Riggs -- Postmodernism") and then the page number
in the upper right corner, preferable not appearing on the first page of a
given chapter.

Word 2007 -- which, by the way I find to be a big leap forward -- has a
"Ribbon" across the top that can be minimized if so desired. One of the tabs
on the Ribbon is "Insert," with a "Header and Footer" section. Clicking on
"Header" produces a "Built In" header option. When I click on the pictorial
image that would supply a left header ("Riggs -- Postmodernism," for example)
that header appears on the page. If I use the same "Header and Footer"
section of the "Insert" tab and click on "Page Number" a drop-down menu
appears. Clicking on "top" produces pictorial options and clicking on the
one for the right side produces a page number on the right side, which I can
then hide by clicking on the "Different First Page" option on the "Design"
tab that has appeared.

In the process of entering this page number, the prior header that was
entered on the left side ("Riggs -- Postmodernism") has disappeared. At this
point all I can essentially do is have a running header upper in the upper
left or the page number appear in the upper right, but not both at the same
time.

Using Word 2007 I can't seem to follow your help in solving this, probably
because I'm not experienced enough with Word. (My other books were written
in WordPerfect.) Sorry.

John

PS As an aside, the Microsoft link that came to my mailbox didn't show
anything whatsoever even though it found a site and said "Done." I found
your e-mail while browsing the Discussion Group section on the Microsoft
website.

Prof. JR wrote:
Some of my book editors like both a header (e.g., author -- book
title) and the page number to appear in the upper right hand corner.
This works fine in WordPerfect, but because Word reckons page
numbering to be headers as such I can't seem to format Word
documents this way. Can it be done and, if so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi John,

The thing that Microsoft never makes clear is that all the items in the Header
and Footer galleries are Quick Parts that are set up to completely replace any
previous content of the header or footer.

After putting in the header for the name, move the cursor to the right end of
that content and type a tab character (or two) to get to the right margin.* Then
click the Page Number button and choose Current Position instead of Top -- this
is the _only_ way (other than direct manual entry of a page number field) to
produce a page number entry that does not replace the previous header content.

*Some of the header Quick Parts insert a table to establish the positions of
their elements. If that's what you're dealing with, you can either drag the
table column's edge to narrow it or split the rightmost cell to make a place for
the page number.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Prof. JR wrote:
Some of my book editors like both a header (e.g., author -- book
title) and the page number to appear in the upper right hand corner.
This works fine in WordPerfect, but because Word reckons page
numbering to be headers as such I can't seem to format Word
documents this way. Can it be done and, if so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Hi Mr. Freedman,

Thank you so much. This method works just fine and I appreciate your help.

Not to "bite the hand that feeds me," but I don't understand why Word should
be arranged like this; actually, why a page number should be considered a
"header" so that this problem occurs. On a number of seemingly simple issues
like this one WordPerfect runs so much simpler, which is why so many scholars
I know prefer WP to Word when writing complex documents.

Forgive my kvetching and please know that, as an end-user, I do find Word
2007 a great deal friendlier than 2003.

John

Prof. JR wrote:
Some of my book editors like both a header (e.g., author -- book
title) and the page number to appear in the upper right hand corner.
This works fine in WordPerfect, but because Word reckons page
numbering to be headers as such I can't seem to format Word
documents this way. Can it be done and, if so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And this is considered an improvement over the way headers are done in
2003?

Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Prof. JR wrote:
Some of my book editors like both a header (e.g., author -- book
title) and the page number to appear in the upper right hand corner.
This works fine in WordPerfect, but because Word reckons page
numbering to be headers as such I can't seem to format Word
documents this way. Can it be done and, if so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Nobody asked me. :-( I'm just passing along the facts.

Prof. JR wrote:
Some of my book editors like both a header (e.g., author -- book
title) and the page number to appear in the upper right hand corner.
This works fine in WordPerfect, but because Word reckons page
numbering to be headers as such I can't seem to format Word
documents this way. Can it be done and, if so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It looks like what the author of *Windows Vista Annoyances* says goes
for Word also: they aimed for the lowest common denominator -- they
think people are too dumb to handle actually typing (in this case)
three elements into a header, the old way, so they offer a limited
number of "building blocks" in a "gallery" of designs that suggest
their "designers" have never attended a design class or read a book
(either one that's well designed, or one about book design). (And even
if they think most users are making web pages and not print documents,
why shouldn't web pages be well designed too?)

(His first example is why they invented the "glass" look. Apparently
in some "user" trials, the concept of overlapping windows was found to
be challenging. But he notes that those "users" could figure them out
after a few minutes. Nonetheless, they had an excuse for adding a vast
new bell and whistle.)

Prof. JR wrote:
Some of my book editors like both a header (e.g., author -- book
title) and the page number to appear in the upper right hand corner.
This works fine in WordPerfect, but because Word reckons page
numbering to be headers as such I can't seem to format Word
documents this way. Can it be done and, if so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Hi,

While Im not a software maven, I do teach graduate school and make my
living by writing lectures, articles, and books €“ oh, and by doing committee
work! €“ and what you say about Microsoft rings true to my (fairly extensive)
user experience: One of the most exasperating problems with Word, which Ive
used in versions 2003 and now 2007, is the continual formatting that the
software forces on the user, which cannot necessary be turned off and which
is difficult to modify. The problem I raised here of how to insert both a
running header (upper left) and a page number (upper right), which Mr.
Friedman identified as a problem caused by €œQuick Parts,€ would be a good
example. Another that Im currently trying to resolve (see the question I
asked yesterday in the Discussion Group) concerns how to change the default
format for footnotes/endnotes because Word 2007 has given them an inadequate
formatting. The sensible place for changing the default setting in 2007
would be the box that appears in the lower right-hand corner of the
footnotes/endnotes section of the €œReferences€ tab on the Ribbon. But, alas.

During the last academic year I was blessed by the administration where I
teach with writing large sections of, and then editing, the massive
self-study that graduate schools must go through every ten years to be
re-accredited. My institution chose Word as the common format simple because
it was on everyones computer. You cannot image the hours upon hours that I
spent, often with the faculty administrative assistant who regularly works in
Word, trying to regularize the formatting across eight chapters, most of
which were written by different committees that produced documents with a
seemingly endless variety of embedded format commands that were difficult to
find and to change.

Over the years Ive written all my essays and books on WordPerfect, which
almost all my colleagues and all the administrative staff prefer: Those who
use Word do so not by choice but because that was what came installed on
their computer. Two nationally-known colleagues at other graduate schools
who are friends have switched to WordPerfect and I know no one who has
switched the other way, though undoubtedly there are some. Why? Because all
the formatting commands on WordPerfect are discrete and transparent, and they
can be removed, moved, or changed, through the €œView Codes€ button on the
button bar. Its straight-forward, intuitive word processing that comes as a
breath of fresh air after using Word, which is opaque and unintuitive.

John

Prof. JR wrote:
Some of my book editors like both a header (e.g., author -- book
title) and the page number to appear in the upper right hand corner.
This works fine in WordPerfect, but because Word reckons page
numbering to be headers as such I can't seem to format Word
documents this way. Can it be done and, if so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Peter,

MS is, in the end a profit oriented business, and their goal, like many businesses is to enlarge the customer base and increase
sales. Office has a very diverse base and as Yves pointed out in another thread, everyone's "need' for a feature is their important
one Bells and whistles and polish, sell, else why would so many new cars (that are pretty much shiny new packaging of something
familiar) sold each year. It can't all be 'new users'/drivers g

According to MS's financial analyst briefing 120,000,000 licenses for Office have been sold since Office 2007 was launched (they
don't breakout how many were for Office 2007). With the different needs that a base that large takes in I wouldn't expect anyone
to get everything they want or like (There's always going to be something in the 'what were they thinking' or 'why didn't they
include this'). I doubt that Microsoft made the product design decisions on the basis that they thought people were dumb, just busy
and a lot of field work surprised them in their testing (and still does).

There is nothing in Word 2007 that reduces your ability to create any number of Header formats or from saving them as a building
block, separate document or Autotext entry. The building blocks, of which the Quick Parts gallery is only one of 36
sample/reusable content galleries in Word come with examples to show that a single 'look' for a document can be created then carried
forward throughout cover pages, headers, footers, document content etc.

What a building block for a header does, in this case, is give you the ability to not be concerned with creating and rechecking the
header layout, but to be able, when finishing up the document to pick your gallery choice and to have it put in the look you want.
(i.e. if you create a header layout with a specific set of fonts, spacing and information, then save that header under a name you
choose, one click and it's there to be applied in another document).

A large number of users fall into areas such as (a) 'corporate says' - style and image controlled looks and companies don't want
folks to stray from using their 'look' (b) publishers, schools, etc who insist on specific 'look' of documents and entries. In the
first case, it was often too easy for folks to either (1) not be able to 'figure out' how to get the look right or how to 'get it
back' if something went wrong or (2) have neither the time or inclination to create the look on their own. The building blocks are
a feature to address both needs, to some extent, with 'just click me' answers [I don't have time for...]. (Note the number of folks
who are brought to a standstill in productivity if spell and grammar check isn't functioning, or if a Resume format requires more
than fill in the blanks to land an interview

A header building block will replace an existing header, as that's part of the way to acheive the consistency for the (a) and (b)
group needs above, but you don't have to ever use those features.

The marketing theme Microsoft has for Office 2007 is '21st Century Documents'. The design samples are noticably different from
prior versions to help show (and sell) that feature set and there are times, I'd guess, where some of the designers
(http://microsoft.com/design) are frustrated with what marketing and even legal review at Microsoft can require in changes to an
approach.

It's not that the designers have 'never read a book', but it's likely safe to say that a very large percentage of Office users have
not and will not read a book on using Office, just let me click and go on...

===================
"grammatim" wrote in message ...
[...]

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Prof. JR wrote:
Because all the formatting
commands on WordPerfect are discrete and transparent, and they can be
removed, moved, or changed, through the "View Codes" button on the
button bar. It's straight-forward, intuitive word processing that
comes as a breath of fresh air after using Word, which is opaque and
unintuitive.

John

The essential difference is that unlike WordPerfect, Word is a style based
application. It does not have discrete and transparent codes to display. If
you format your document using styles rather than try and apply methods you
have learned from Word Perfect you would find it easier to manage.

Every paragraph has a style attached and those styles can be interchanged
and edited, and new ones can be created to provide the formatting you
require. If you save your preferred style definitions in a template, it is
easy to create new documents with a standard appearance.

It is possible to apply manual formatting to text, but it should normally be
avoided in favour of character styles, which by simple redefinition make it
possible to change the appearance of the whole document.

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sOnStyles.html

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi John,

A Page number isn't considered to be, in itself, a header, but a part of a header. You can create pretty much any header you want
in Word (and it can take over or support a whole page look if needed). The Quick Part gallery is one of 36 building block galleries
in Word 2007. Each gallery can store reusable content.

Once you have setup a header that you like (be it a 3 column borderless table with a reference on the left, nothing in the middle
and a page number on the right) you can save that into the 'Page Number' or 'Header' gallery.

Once created, you can reuse the building block to replace whatever you may have in a created, inherited or collaborative document,
with the 'desired content and format'.

Word 2007 also has themeing, which allows you to change the look of the whole document later for final layout or just to 'see how it
might look' using the same type of 'mouse over preview' features that WordPerfect has had for awhile that doesn't actually change
the document.

If you have a layout as in the one you mentioned previously, but need to use it in one form for one destination and in a different
font/color etc for another destination you can apply those changes without recreating the underlying table or tab set format you had
already worked on.

It is possible to work on Word entirely in either its' HTML/XML or Open Office XML underlying code (which means if so inclined
someone can create an entirely different User Interface and work on Word files without Word) but basically, you can switch to
draft or outline view, type away and add the looks later, (build then paint) if that works better for you

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if WordPerfect's 'owners' hadn't sold the product/company a number of times. There were
some definitely weird results in some of the product versions I've been involved with that product since it came on spool of
magnetic tape and was a text/code editor on a Data General mini-computer. It has a different origin base and approach than Word
and both products have a place and features that the other could use.

The Building Block galleries can be helpful for the 'now where did I save that' question when you know you had something 'only last
year' but don't want to go through a lot of documents to find it .

===============
"Prof. JR" wrote in message ...
Hi Mr. Freedman,

Thank you so much. This method works just fine and I appreciate your help.

Not to "bite the hand that feeds me," but I don't understand why Word should
be arranged like this; actually, why a page number should be considered a
"header" so that this problem occurs. On a number of seemingly simple issues
like this one WordPerfect runs so much simpler, which is why so many scholars
I know prefer WP to Word when writing complex documents.

Forgive my kvetching and please know that, as an end-user, I do find Word
2007 a great deal friendlier than 2003.

John
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Aug 18, 12:23 am, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:
Hi Peter,

[eliding lots of valid points about the Reagan-era business model]

A header building block will replace an existing header, as that's part of the way to acheive the consistency for the (a) and (b)
group needs above, but you don't have to ever use those features.

But it looks from Prof JR's comments like they don't make it at all
obvious to new users that you can avoid using those features. For me,
coming from 2003, and before that from Mac Word 98 and 2000 (I think
they were), I would/will probably just ignore the "galleries" and
"building blocks" and all that: the only thing I _need_ 2007 for is
Unicode 5.1 support, and the only new feature that looks useful to me
is the bibliography -- though it does seem to have been released
before it was ready!

BTW does 2007 still have those WP Compatibility options? Prof JR might
find them useful.

The marketing theme Microsoft has for Office 2007 is '21st Century Documents'. The design samples are noticably different from
prior versions to help show (and sell) that feature set and there are times, I'd guess, where some of the designers
(http://microsoft.com/design) are frustrated with what marketing and even legal review at Microsoft can require in changes to an
approach.

It's not that the designers have 'never read a book', but it's likely safe to say that a very large percentage of Office users have
not and will not read a book on using Office, just let me click and go on...

Well, that worked in 2003, too!

===================
"grammatim" wrote in ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Peter,

You're correct that Microsoft did not make it obvious that using some building blocks replace other content in a specific 'layer' of
the document composition area, nor did they provide a compatibility, setting that lets you choose the behavior. Within the 36
galleries of Autotext/building block in Word 2007, there are varying behaviors of how Word stores, retrieves and uses the contents.

For the most part, the sample building blocks related to page design, when inserted in a document, are known in the Office file spec
as Structured Document Tags (SDTs). An SDT is a 'package' of content Word stores for reuse. An SDT in the header replaces typed
text it finds in the header, or, using the old Western movies approach -
'this header ain't big enough for both of us' g.

The Insert=Page Number gallery has a mixed behavior.

If you have the cursor in the Header (that already contains text) and use the
Page Number=Current Position
choice it will add the information rather than replace the header. In this case it's using the previous versions 'Autotext'
behavior with Word {Page} number field, (sometimes 'prettied up') rather than an SDT. That is, it inserts an addition at the point
of the cursor rather than replace all.

The Word Perfect (DOS v5.1) compatibility options (including white text on blue background) were dropped from Word 2007

You mentioned that you had just gotten or were about to start with Word 2007. Do you have it yet? Suzanne was the last one who
went from working with the 'paper'/onscreen/test drive model to then having it to use. The experience varies for each person g.

The Bibliography feature isn't actually a completely new item created for Office 2007, it's more of a conversion from a prior add-in
and that's some of what shows, and unfortunately, Microsoft, like a number of companies doesn't always do as much with 'sustaining
engineering' as they do with 'make me something new and shiny engineering'

========================
"grammatim" wrote in message ...
On Aug 18, 12:23 am, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:

But it looks from Prof JR's comments like they don't make it at all
obvious to new users that you can avoid using those features. For me,
coming from 2003, and before that from Mac Word 98 and 2000 (I think
they were), I would/will probably just ignore the "galleries" and
"building blocks" and all that: the only thing I _need_ 2007 for is
Unicode 5.1 support, and the only new feature that looks useful to me
is the bibliography -- though it does seem to have been released
before it was ready!

BTW does 2007 still have those WP Compatibility options? Prof JR might
find them useful.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Aug 18, 11:07 am, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:
Hi Peter,

The Word Perfect (DOS v5.1) compatibility options (including white text on blue background) were dropped from Word 2007

Sigh.

You mentioned that you had just gotten or were about to start with Word 2007. Do you have it yet? Suzanne was the last one who
went from working with the 'paper'/onscreen/test drive model to then having it to use. The experience varies for each person g.

_This_ afternoon, my computer guy is sick and at his mommy's house
over in Manhattan, but he's sure I can get it _tomorrow_ afternoon.

The Bibliography feature isn't actually a completely new item created for Office 2007, it's more of a conversion from a prior add-in
and that's some of what shows, and unfortunately, Microsoft, like a number of companies doesn't always do as much with 'sustaining
engineering' as they do with 'make me something new and shiny engineering'

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Hi Mr. Buckland,

Thank you. This is actually interesting to me, though I'm not a software
expert, only a long-time user. (From grad school onward.) What I like about
WP is being able to format by using simple buttons, all of which are discrete
commands (e.g., page number, header, and so on), and all of which can be
removed or moved through "View Codes." Everything seems intuitive and
transparent, and without pre-set formatting or auto-formatting, which I find
unhelpful if not, to be honest, insulting.

When I began using Word 2003 because some institutional documents came that
way, especially when I had to work with documents that others had produced,
the pre-set formats and auto-formatting that came in documents made life much
worse not better. It puzzled me why smart people could make an "unhelpful"
product. So, it helps a great deal to know something of the basic approach
that Word takes. (See also Mr. Mayor's comment on 8/17).

For the moment I'm running Word 2007 as though it were WP: I've minimized
the Ribbon, loaded the Quick Access toolbar with all the basic commands I
need (formatting, footnotes, endnotes, and so on), and set the default for 12
pt, double spaced, Times New Roman -- the basic academic standard. The
Ribbon pops up occasionally when more commands are needed, but that's OK
since the commands are needed. By the way, this type of arrangement makes
Word 2007 a vast improvement over 2003 which, so far as I was concerned, had
too many commands I needed buried too far below in sub-menus. Now things are
pretty much at hand, so to speak.

One last thinking out loud: On 8/17 you mentioned the marketing theme of
"21st Century Documents." Perhaps that explains the default setting for Word
2007 as Calibri, 11 pt, and line-spacing set at one and one-half , settings
that no one I know would ever use, except perhaps my daughter when writing to
Hannah Montana.

Thank you for your time. I feel as though I'm getting a private tutorial in
Word and want you to know how much I appreciate your efforts.

John

"Prof. JR" wrote in message ...
Hi Mr. Freedman,

Thank you so much. This method works just fine and I appreciate your help.

Not to "bite the hand that feeds me," but I don't understand why Word should
be arranged like this; actually, why a page number should be considered a
"header" so that this problem occurs. On a number of seemingly simple issues
like this one WordPerfect runs so much simpler, which is why so many scholars
I know prefer WP to Word when writing complex documents.

Forgive my kvetching and please know that, as an end-user, I do find Word
2007 a great deal friendlier than 2003.

John
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Hi Mr. Mayor,

As I just e-mailed to Mr. Buckman, it helps me understand Word 2007 to
understand its basic approach. For now I have actually arranged Word
something like WordPerfect: the Ribbon is minimized, the Quick Access tool
bar is loaded with all the basic commands I need (font, justification,
footnote and endnote buttons, italics, and so on), and the default is set to
the basic academic gold standard, 12 pt. Times New Roman in double-spacing.
When the Ribbon pops up with commands it is because those commands are needed.

Thank you so much for your time since I know your time is valuable and I
feel as though I'm getting a free tutorial.

John