Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

Default w2007 organizer use to copy/overwrite styles not working

The copy/overwrite styles using the organizer isnt working. I have a W2007
..docm file that has Heading 1-6 styles in it I need to reuse in another file.
The heading styles have been customized with outline numbering and varying
left indents. When I use the organizer to copy the styles from my source file
into my destination file, the styles do not indent properly. I copied the
styles many, many times since I have seen other postings that recommend doing
this 3 times.

Further, I changed my Word option, under the Advanced group, to have under
the Cut, Copy, Paste category set to €śKeep Source Formatting€ť next to the
Pasting between documents when style definitions conflict. I then
copied/pasted my heading 1 from source file to destination file. It pasted in
the destination files format, not the source file. This means it has the
wrong indents.

Finally, I tried using the format painter. I selected the entire paragraph
of heading 1 in my source file, and painted the entire paragraph of heading 1
in my destination file. The 1 for my outline number gets changed to capital
A. The capital A is now also a different color and smaller font size than the
# I that was there before painting.

Ive used this €ścopy/overwrite styles from organizer€ť procedure to overwrite
styles when they get out of whack. Jeopardy to this €śfix€ť is very troubling
to me. I would appreciate any ideas on how to make the organizer process work
again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It is a known issue that Word may not correctly copy numbered styles (not
just with Word 2007).

Note that if copying into file A from file B doesn't work, you could always
reverse the process: copy the relevant text into file B from file A. If
necessary, then apply the style(s) to text as appropriate.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"cayce" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2007, multilevel list numbering and paragraph style settings are
separate features. You can create a _list style_ (as opposed to an item in
the list library) in your source document that contains your customizations
and indents. Then use the organizer to copy your list style to the new doc
just as you do for the heading paragraph styles.

Let us know how it works.

PamC

cayce wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Or, which might be easier, create the list style directly in the target
document. Note that even if you make use of a list style (which is
recommended in Word 2007), you can still associate each numbering level with
a paragraph style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

cayce wrote:
The copy/overwrite styles using the organizer isn't working. I have a
W2007
.docm file that has Heading 1-6 styles in it I need to reuse in another
file.
The heading styles have been customized with outline numbering and varying
left indents. When I use the organizer to copy the styles from my source
file
into my destination file, the styles do not indent properly. I copied the
styles many, many times since I have seen other postings that recommend
doing
this 3 times.

Further, I changed my Word option, under the Advanced group, to have under
the Cut, Copy, Paste category set to "Keep Source Formatting" next to the
Pasting between documents when style definitions conflict. I then
copied/pasted my heading 1 from source file to destination file. It pasted
in
the destination file's format, not the source file. This means it has the
wrong indents.

Finally, I tried using the format painter. I selected the entire paragraph
of heading 1 in my source file, and painted the entire paragraph of
heading 1
in my destination file. The 1 for my outline number gets changed to
capital
A. The capital A is now also a different color and smaller font size than
the
# I that was there before painting.

I've used this "copy/overwrite styles from organizer" procedure to
overwrite
styles when they get out of whack. Jeopardy to this "fix" is very
troubling
to me. I would appreciate any ideas on how to make the organizer process
work
again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

thanks Stefan and Pam. I'll dig into the suggestions here and give feedback
if I hit a speedbump.

cayce wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

thanks Stefan and Pam. I'll dig into your suggestions and give feedback if I
run into speedbumps.

cayce wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

True, for a one off it would be easier. My suggestion would help get the
_process_ right for next time.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Or, which might be easier, create the list style directly in the target
document. Note that even if you make use of a list style (which is
recommended in Word 2007), you can still associate each numbering level with
a paragraph style.

In Word 2007, multilevel list numbering and paragraph style settings are
separate features. You can create a _list style_ (as opposed to an item

[quoted text clipped - 44 lines]
work
again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

Pam...I didn't realize about copying the list style in the organizer so that
was a useful tip. (I've been scrolling right past it all this time in the
organizer!)

In my source document, I had created the list style associated with the
heading levels/styles. However, when I copied just the list style from my
source to the target, it had no effect on fixing the sick content.

I did ,however, find a workaround that accomplishes my goal. I simply copied
healthy sample paragraphs that had heading 1-5 styles applied from my source.
I pasted them in my target document and they maintained their indents, etc. I
then selected each paragraph individually, chose "update heading 1 ( or 2, 3
etc.) to match current selection" from the styles pane, and all the problem
instances of those headings elsewhere in the document became healthy too. To
confirm, I chose to reapply the heading styles to one of the formerly sick
paragraphs. It stayed healthy!

thanks for the suggestions. I always learn something new here.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Or, which might be easier, create the list style directly in the target
document. Note that even if you make use of a list style (which is
recommended in Word 2007), you can still associate each numbering level with
a paragraph style.

In Word 2007, multilevel list numbering and paragraph style settings are
separate features. You can create a _list style_ (as opposed to an item

[quoted text clipped - 44 lines]
work
again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

Thanks Pam.

Actually, I had created the list style and applied it to the heading
levels/styles 1-5 in my source file. I never noticed the list style in the
organizer before. So as you suggested, I used it to copy from source to
target. It had no effect. I'd like to think I built the list style properly
in the first place

I did find a workaround. I copied healthy heading 1-5 paragraphs from my
source file and simply pasted into my target file. They maintained their
indents, numbering, etc. I then selected each pasted paragraph individually,
chose €śUpdate Heading 1 (or 2, 3, etc.) to match selection€ť from the styles
pane. All the files headings became healthy. I then tested on a formerly
sick heading in the document by reapplying the style. It stayed healthy. This
might prove a useful fix for others who face this challenge.

Thanks for the suggestions. I always learn something here.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Or, which might be easier, create the list style directly in the target
document. Note that even if you make use of a list style (which is
recommended in Word 2007), you can still associate each numbering level with
a paragraph style.

In Word 2007, multilevel list numbering and paragraph style settings are
separate features. You can create a _list style_ (as opposed to an item

[quoted text clipped - 44 lines]
work
again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

cayce wrote:
In my source document, I had created the list style associated with the
heading levels/styles. However, when I copied just the list style from my
source to the target, it had no effect on fixing the sick content.

It can't have an effect until it is the current list. Once it's in the
document, it is supposed to show up in the multilevel list gallery
automatically. But I find that I must save, close, and reopen the document
before it shows up in the list styles section and I can apply it.

I did ,however, find a workaround that accomplishes my goal. I simply copied
healthy sample paragraphs that had heading 1-5 styles applied from my source.
I pasted them in my target document and they maintained their indents, etc. I
then selected each paragraph individually, chose "update heading 1 ( or 2, 3
etc.) to match current selection" from the styles pane, and all the problem
instances of those headings elsewhere in the document became healthy too. To
confirm, I chose to reapply the heading styles to one of the formerly sick
paragraphs. It stayed healthy!

Glad it worked.

PamC

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Long-term it would be better to create the style in a *template* rather than
copying it between documents.

--

Stefan Blom wrote:
Or, which might be easier, create the list style directly in the target
document. Note that even if you make use of a list style (which is
recommended in Word 2007), you can still associate each numbering level
with
a paragraph style.

In Word 2007, multilevel list numbering and paragraph style settings are
separate features. You can create a _list style_ (as opposed to an item

[quoted text clipped - 44 lines]
work
again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

Hmmmm...this is weird. Several times , this website gave me an error message
that it had a problem and my post was not sent. Now I see that it was, along
with my re-post. Apologies for the clutter. I also was never notified of
replies when I had made that selection. That little black cloud needs to find
another cubicle to hover over!

Peace

Stefan Blom wrote:
Or, which might be easier, create the list style directly in the target
document. Note that even if you make use of a list style (which is
recommended in Word 2007), you can still associate each numbering level
with
a paragraph style.

In Word 2007, multilevel list numbering and paragraph style settings are
separate features. You can create a _list style_ (as opposed to an item
[quoted text clipped - 44 lines]
work
again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Apparently, the web interface has been displaying false error messages
stating that messages weren't posted; I think this has been going on all
week. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stefan Blom wrote:
Or, which might be easier, create the list style directly in the target
document. Note that even if you make use of a list style (which is
recommended in Word 2007), you can still associate each numbering level
with
a paragraph style.

In Word 2007, multilevel list numbering and paragraph style settings
are
separate features. You can create a _list style_ (as opposed to an
item
[quoted text clipped - 44 lines]
work
again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It has been happening intermittently since the launch of the Web portal. It
has been suggested that the error is associated with enabling reply
notification. The reply notification feature itself is also dysfunctional;
users often click on the reply URL they're sent and get a blank page. I'm
told that this will not happen if they're already logged in, but that really
shouldn't be necessary just to read messages.

http://word.mvps.org

Stefan Blom wrote:
Or, which might be easier, create the list style directly in the
target
document. Note that even if you make use of a list style (which is
recommended in Word 2007), you can still associate each numbering
level
with
a paragraph style.

In Word 2007, multilevel list numbering and paragraph style settings
are
separate features. You can create a _list style_ (as opposed to an
item
[quoted text clipped - 44 lines]
work
again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, I have seen the problem, since I occasionally use the web portal. But
it seems as if it has been going on unusually long this time?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP