Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PaseoDave PaseoDave is offline

Default The Collapsing Header - Word 2007

I have an 8 page MS Word 2007 document. One Header is used throughout the
doc. The header has 5 lines; line 1 & 2 have a font size of 20, line 3 is a
blank line with the font size set to 12, line 4 is an automatically updated
date & time with a font size of 14, and finally line 5 has text to the left
and the page numbering to the right with a font size of 14.

While I am typing in my document, the header collapses so I can only see a
small part of the first line but the rest of the header lines are visable.
When the header collapses like thsi, all mt text in the document moves up 2
or 3 lines thus making it a pain to judge how much text to put on the page.

I have to double click in the header to make it appear in full again, and
then double click in my document to see where my last text line actually is
on the document.

How do I stop the header from collapsing while I'm typing my document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This should *not* be happening. Even if your top margin is too small to
accommodate the header, the header should be pushing the top margin down.
What are your settings for the top and header margins? Is either of them a
negative setting? Does the document display correctly in Print Preview?

http://word.mvps.org

"PaseoDave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PaseoDave PaseoDave is offline

My header is set at 0.5" from top and it is 1.5" high which accomodates the 5
lines. The complete document does display properly in Print Preview.

"PaseoDave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PaseoDave PaseoDave is offline

So...........??? Anybody??????

I know "this should *not* be happening" that's why I posted on here.

How can I stop this from happening? It's a real pain in the butt because if
I'm not real careful and pay attention to the Collapsing Header, I end up
printing pages with only 2 lines on them.

"PaseoDave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PaseoDave PaseoDave is offline

Nope, I set the top margin to 2" and the Header still collapses. And it seems
to do it at random. ie: it's not when I save, print, insert a picture, etc.
It even does it if I leave the document open in the background and work on
something else.... when I go back to the document, the Header has Collapsed
again.

"PaseoDave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PaseoDave PaseoDave is offline

New development - the header collapses right after the file is saved with the
systems Auto Save function. I currently have my Auto Save set to "10 minutes".

I'm going to turn off the Auto Save and see if the header still collapses.

"PaseoDave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Whatever is causing this, it is *not* normal, which suggests that there may
be some document corruption. As a start, try using Open and Repair to open
the document. If that doesn't help, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"PaseoDave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PaseoDave PaseoDave is offline

I turned off the function and every thing is fine with it off. If I turn
"Save AutoRecover" on, the Header Collapses right after an Auto Save.

Could it have something to do with the "Last saved date and time" being in
the header?

"PaseoDave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't see why. AutoRecovery saves don't affect that field, only manual
saves. Does it help if you just Hide White Space and ignore the problem?

http://word.mvps.org

"PaseoDave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PaseoDave PaseoDave is offline

I'm not sure why the header collapses when AutoRecovery does it's AutoSave,
but that is what's happening. I sat and watched it happen.

I tried the "Hide White Space" option already.... it works but I don't like
it. Besides, why should the problem just be ignored?

"PaseoDave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PaseoDave PaseoDave is offline

What is "Open and Repair"? I don't see that option under the 'Office Button'
or 'Open' menu icons.

"PaseoDave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Open dialog, click the arrow beside the Open button and choose Open
and Repair from the bottom of the menu.

http://word.mvps.org

"PaseoDave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PaseoDave PaseoDave is offline

Okay I tried the 'Open and Repair' and it did not help. My header continues
to collapse every time AutoRecovery does it's AutoSave.

"PaseoDave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you like, send me a portion of the misbehaving document, and I'll take a
look at it.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Cloaking (expanding and collapsing) text in Word Moose Microsoft Word Help 1 March 17th 09 12:21 PM
Collapsing Font Issue Spectrum Microsoft Word Help 3 September 6th 07 11:42 PM
Collapsing Tables Dragonkindred Tables 3 May 22nd 07 08:44 AM
Collapsing Word Menu Enn Tables 0 October 19th 06 10:43 AM