Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lost in ExcelLand Lost in ExcelLand is offline

Default Page Numbering Issue

Im well-versed in creating headings whenever needed and associating styles;
however, today, my usual method isnt working. In a nutshell, Ive named the
appendix style in my document as Heading 6. When I apply Heading 6 to my
text, it works (and appears in my TOC as it should). Great going, right?
The problem is when I go to number those pages€”I get the ENTIRE heading where
the page number appears in the footer (e.g., APPENDIX A-1) instead of just
A-1, A-2, etc., like I usually get. Ive NEVER seen that happen before in
all my years of performing this function, and am wracking my brain as to why.
I'm not sure if there's a problem w/this particular document somewhere (I
tried it in my own Normal.dot template and it DOES work correctly), since it
was created by someone else. Can some1 help me understand this new
phenomenon? Id greatly appreciate it!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the header/footer of the appendix, is the word APPENDIX typed
inside the page no. field (toggle it with Shift-F9) instead of outside
it?

On Jul 24, 3:50*pm, Lost in ExcelLand
wrote:
I’m well-versed in creating headings whenever needed and associating styles;
however, today, my usual method isn’t working. *In a nutshell, I’ve named the
appendix style in my document as Heading 6. *When I apply Heading 6 to my
text, it works (and appears in my TOC as it should). *Great going, right? *
The problem is when I go to number those pages—I get the ENTIRE heading where
the page number appears in the footer (e.g., APPENDIX A-1) instead of just
A-1, A-2, etc., like I usually get. *I’ve NEVER seen that happen before in
all my years of performing this function, and am wracking my brain as to why.
*I'm not sure if there's a problem w/this particular document somewhere (I
tried it in my own Normal.dot template and it DOES work correctly), since it
was created by someone else. *Can some1 help me understand this new
phenomenon? *I’d greatly appreciate it!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lost in ExcelLand Lost in ExcelLand is offline

Hi Peter,

Yes, it appears within the field w/the number, like: APPENDIX A-1. This is
really stumping me--hope you can help!

wrote:
Im well-versed in creating headings whenever needed and associating styles;
however, today, my usual method isnt working. In a nutshell, Ive named the
appendix style in my document as Heading 6. When I apply Heading 6 to my
text, it works (and appears in my TOC as it should). Great going, right?
The problem is when I go to number those pages€”I get the ENTIRE heading where
the page number appears in the footer (e.g., APPENDIX A-1) instead of just
A-1, A-2, etc., like I usually get. Ive NEVER seen that happen before in
all my years of performing this function, and am wracking my brain as to why.
I'm not sure if there's a problem w/this particular document somewhere (I
tried it in my own Normal.dot template and it DOES work correctly), since it
was created by someone else. Can some1 help me understand this new
phenomenon? Id greatly appreciate it!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just delete it from inside the field, and type it in the header/footer
outside the page number field!

BTW we don't do Excel here ...

wrote:
I’m well-versed in creating headings whenever needed and associating styles;
however, today, my usual method isn’t working. *In a nutshell, I’ve named the
appendix style in my document as Heading 6. *When I apply Heading 6 to my
text, it works (and appears in my TOC as it should). *Great going, right? *
The problem is when I go to number those pages—I get the ENTIRE heading where
the page number appears in the footer (e.g., APPENDIX A-1) instead of just
A-1, A-2, etc., like I usually get. *I’ve NEVER seen that happen before in
all my years of performing this function, and am wracking my brain as to why.
*I'm not sure if there's a problem w/this particular document somewhere (I
tried it in my own Normal.dot template and it DOES work correctly), since it
was created by someone else. *Can some1 help me understand this new
phenomenon? *I’d greatly appreciate it!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lost in ExcelLand Lost in ExcelLand is offline

Hmmm, well, if I do that, the page numbers won't show up in the TOC (unless I
manually type them in), will they?

Excel reference ... I know, but that's the username I had at the time.
Not sure if there's a way to change it on here, so I just kept it.
Suggestions on how to change it are more than welcome!

wrote:
Im well-versed in creating headings whenever needed and associating styles;
however, today, my usual method isnt working. In a nutshell, Ive named the
appendix style in my document as Heading 6. When I apply Heading 6 to my
text, it works (and appears in my TOC as it should). Great going, right?
The problem is when I go to number those pages€”I get the ENTIRE heading where
the page number appears in the footer (e.g., APPENDIX A-1) instead of just
A-1, A-2, etc., like I usually get. Ive NEVER seen that happen before in
all my years of performing this function, and am wracking my brain as to why.
I'm not sure if there's a problem w/this particular document somewhere (I
tried it in my own Normal.dot template and it DOES work correctly), since it
was created by someone else. Can some1 help me understand this new
phenomenon? Id greatly appreciate it!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VioletDC VioletDC is offline

I found how to change my username...took awhile, but I finally got there.
I'm now (always have been) VioletDC. )

wrote:
Im well-versed in creating headings whenever needed and associating styles;
however, today, my usual method isnt working. In a nutshell, Ive named the
appendix style in my document as Heading 6. When I apply Heading 6 to my
text, it works (and appears in my TOC as it should). Great going, right?
The problem is when I go to number those pages€”I get the ENTIRE heading where
the page number appears in the footer (e.g., APPENDIX A-1) instead of just
A-1, A-2, etc., like I usually get. Ive NEVER seen that happen before in
all my years of performing this function, and am wracking my brain as to why.
I'm not sure if there's a problem w/this particular document somewhere (I
tried it in my own Normal.dot template and it DOES work correctly), since it
was created by someone else. Can some1 help me understand this new
phenomenon? Id greatly appreciate it!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sigh. Don't delete the PAGE field. Just remove the word "APPENDIX"
from inside it. You could even select it and drag it outside.

wrote:
I’m well-versed in creating headings whenever needed and associating styles;
however, today, my usual method isn’t working. *In a nutshell, I’ve named the
appendix style in my document as Heading 6. *When I apply Heading 6 to my
text, it works (and appears in my TOC as it should). *Great going, right? *
The problem is when I go to number those pages—I get the ENTIRE heading where
the page number appears in the footer (e.g., APPENDIX A-1) instead of just
A-1, A-2, etc., like I usually get. *I’ve NEVER seen that happen before in
all my years of performing this function, and am wracking my brain as to why.
*I'm not sure if there's a problem w/this particular document somewhere (I
tried it in my own Normal.dot template and it DOES work correctly), since it
was created by someone else. *Can some1 help me understand this new
phenomenon? *I’d greatly appreciate it!--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VioletDC VioletDC is offline

Tried that already; what happens is the number itself will only display
(i.e., 1, 2, etc.), instead of what I want (A-1, A-2, etc.). *Sigh*

wrote:
Im well-versed in creating headings whenever needed and associating styles;
however, today, my usual method isnt working. In a nutshell, Ive named the
appendix style in my document as Heading 6. When I apply Heading 6 to my
text, it works (and appears in my TOC as it should). Great going, right?
The problem is when I go to number those pages€”I get the ENTIRE heading where
the page number appears in the footer (e.g., APPENDIX A-1) instead of just
A-1, A-2, etc., like I usually get. Ive NEVER seen that happen before in
all my years of performing this function, and am wracking my brain as to why.
I'm not sure if there's a problem w/this particular document somewhere (I
tried it in my own Normal.dot template and it DOES work correctly), since it
was created by someone else. Can some1 help me understand this new
phenomenon? Id greatly appreciate it!--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

If you added the chapter numbers by linking a outline/multilevel list level
to your heading 6, you should not get the label with the number. If you
trying to supply the appendix label by using style ref, I don't know of a
way to eliminate the label. If you used another method, let us know.

Pam

VioletDC wrote:
Tried that already; what happens is the number itself will only display
(i.e., 1, 2, etc.), instead of what I want (A-1, A-2, etc.). *Sigh*

Sigh. Don't delete the PAGE field. Just remove the word "APPENDIX"
from inside it. You could even select it and drag it outside.

[quoted text clipped - 38 lines]
was created by someone else. Can some1 help me understand this new
phenomenon? Id greatly appreciate it!--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VioletDC VioletDC is offline

Hi, Pam.

Yes, that's how I've always done it w/no problem--this time, it's a complete
mystery to me.

VioletDC wrote:
Tried that already; what happens is the number itself will only display
(i.e., 1, 2, etc.), instead of what I want (A-1, A-2, etc.). *Sigh*

Sigh. Don't delete the PAGE field. Just remove the word "APPENDIX"
from inside it. You could even select it and drag it outside.

[quoted text clipped - 38 lines]
was created by someone else. Can some1 help me understand this new
phenomenon? Id greatly appreciate it!--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

OK. Toggle the page number field to display the codes. It should say
something like { PAGE \* MERGEFORMAT }. If it says something different copy
the text inside the braces ( {} ), and paste it into your next message to
the forum. (It might help to add regular text braces in the message text to
mimic the look of the field codes.)

Pam

VioletDC wrote:
Hi, Pam.

Yes, that's how I've always done it w/no problem--this time, it's a complete
mystery to me.

If you added the chapter numbers by linking a outline/multilevel list level
to your heading 6, you should not get the label with the number. If you

[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
was created by someone else. Can some1 help me understand this new
phenomenon? Id greatly appreciate it!--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

I think I need to see the file. Can you send it to me? --scrubbed of
sensitive material of course. Substitute @ for {&&&} and yahoo for {YAK} in
my email address below.

Pam

pamcaswe{&&&}{YAK}.com

VioletDC wrote:
OK ... all it says is { PAGE }.

OK. Toggle the page number field to display the codes. It should say
something like { PAGE \* MERGEFORMAT }. If it says something different copy

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]
was created by someone else. Can some1 help me understand this new
phenomenon? Id greatly appreciate it!--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VioletDC VioletDC is offline

Thanks so much, Pam. I'll send it to you momentarily. Look for my email
from VioletDC.

"Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

I think I need to see the file. Can you send it to me? --scrubbed of
sensitive material of course. Substitute @ for {&&&} and yahoo for {YAK} in
my email address below.

Pam

pamcaswe{&&&}{YAK}.com

VioletDC wrote:
OK ... all it says is { PAGE }.

OK. Toggle the page number field to display the codes. It should say
something like { PAGE \* MERGEFORMAT }. If it says something different copy

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]
was created by someone else. Can some1 help me understand this new
phenomenon? Id greatly appreciate it!--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Hi, Audrey,

I could not determine why the word "appendix" was in the middle of your page
field,. My best guess for what happened is that somehow "appendix" got put
into the number filed in the define new multilevel list (or in W2003
customize outline list) dialog. I got rid of it by defining a new list that
was not based on the old one.

Pam

VioletDC wrote:
Thanks so much, Pam. I'll send it to you momentarily. Look for my email
from VioletDC.

I think I need to see the file. Can you send it to me? --scrubbed of
sensitive material of course. Substitute @ for {&&&} and yahoo for {YAK} in

[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
was created by someone else. Can some1 help me understand this new
phenomenon? Id greatly appreciate it!--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

You're welcome. I'm glad you problem is solved.
Pam

VioletDC wrote:
Thank you sooo much, Pam! )

Hi, Audrey,