Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default finding footnote-ending paragraph mark

I've just received a ms. from an author who ended every one of
hundreds of footnotes with Enter, which results in what looks on
screen like a sequence of paragraph marks -- the Enter plus the end-of-
footnote mark -- but ^p^p doesn't find them.

(I can't just delete all paragraph marks, because of multi-paragraph
footnotes.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

^13^13 found the sequence ok, but I couldn't find something to put in
the Replace box that worked.

(^13)(^13) Replace with \2 and Use Wildcards didn't do anything,
either.

On Nov 29, 9:47*am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
Try ^13 in place of ^p

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
I've just received a ms. from an author who ended every one of
hundreds of footnotes with Enter, which results in what looks on
screen like a sequence of paragraph marks -- the Enter plus the
end-of- footnote mark -- but ^p^p doesn't find them.

(I can't just delete all paragraph marks, because of multi-paragraph
footnotes.)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Nope; it's easy to Find the sequence -- ^13^13 and (^13)(^13)
Wildcards both work -- but Replace with any of ^13, ^p, or \2 does
nothing but send the cursor back to where it was when I clicked Find.

On Nov 29, 1:16*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Can you not replace with ^p?

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in ...

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
I've just received a ms. from an author who ended every one of
hundreds of footnotes with Enter, which results in what looks on
screen like a sequence of paragraph marks -- the Enter plus the
end-of- footnote mark -- but ^p^p doesn't find them.

(I can't just delete all paragraph marks, because of multi-paragraph
footnotes.)-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I guess I meant if you're not using wildcards (you don't have to be to use
^13). But Word can be extremely bloody-minded about paragraph marks
sometimes--in footnotes, between tables, etc. While it may be possible to
write a macro to take care of this (though ISTR that even a macro wouldn't
do it for paragraph breaks between tables), in the long run you may just
have to go through and do this by hand (using Delete or Backspace, whichever
works).

If all else fails (oh, joy!), you may have to copy the text of an existing
footnote (without the paragraph marks), delete the footnote reference in the
document body, insert a new footnote, and paste the copied content into it.
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
I've just received a ms. from an author who ended every one of
hundreds of footnotes with Enter, which results in what looks on
screen like a sequence of paragraph marks -- the Enter plus the
end-of- footnote mark -- but ^p^p doesn't find them.

(I can't just delete all paragraph marks, because of multi-paragraph
footnotes.)-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Oh well, thanks.

Maybe authors should have to have graduate students type their papers
again, who know how to use these things.

On Nov 29, 3:20*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I guess I meant if you're not using wildcards (you don't have to be to use
^13). But Word can be extremely bloody-minded about paragraph marks
sometimes--in footnotes, between tables, etc. While it may be possible to
write a macro to take care of this (though ISTR that even a macro wouldn't
do it for paragraph breaks between tables), in the long run you may just
have to go through and do this by hand (using Delete or Backspace, whichever
works).

If all else fails (oh, joy!), you may have to copy the text of an existing
footnote (without the paragraph marks), delete the footnote reference in the
document body, insert a new footnote, and paste the copied content into it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Mr. Daniels,

You might be able to clean them up with the macro posted below. Very
limited testing (two section document with a few footnotes - each
footnote ended using the enter key once). If you decide to try this,
I suggest running it on a copy of the document first.

Sub ScratchMaco()
Dim oFN As Footnote
Dim i As Long
For Each oFN In ThisDocument.Footnotes
oFN.Range.Select
With Selection
.Collapse wdCollapseStart
.Expand Unit:=wdParagraph
.MoveStartUntil Cset:=vbCr
On Error Resume Next
On Error GoTo 0
End With
'Add to clean up a spurious space added at the end of the footnotes as
they were processed.
If oFN.Index ThisDocument.Footnotes.Count Then
oFN.Range.Select
oFN.Range.Characters.Last = "@"
oFN.Range.Characters.Last.Delete
End If
Next
End Sub

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
I've just received a ms. from an author who ended every one of
hundreds of footnotes with Enter, which results in what looks on
screen like a sequence of paragraph marks -- the Enter plus the
end-of- footnote mark -- but ^p^p doesn't find them.

(I can't just delete all paragraph marks, because of multi-paragraph
footnotes.)--- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I tried it, thank you, got it as far as a QAT button, but with the
cursor either at the beginning of the file or at the beginning of the
footnotes, I clicked the button and nothing happened at all!

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
I've just received a ms. from an author who ended every one of
hundreds of footnotes with Enter, which results in what looks on
screen like a sequence of paragraph marks -- the Enter plus the
end-of- footnote mark -- but ^p^p doesn't find them.

(I can't just delete all paragraph marks, because of multi-paragraph
footnotes.)---

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That doesn't mean they are any better at it than the general run of users,
though. You'd be amazed how many people use Word all the time with no real
idea how to use it correctly (including almost everyone at Microsoft,
apparently).

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
I've just received a ms. from an author who ended every one of
hundreds of footnotes with Enter, which results in what looks on
screen like a sequence of paragraph marks -- the Enter plus the
end-of- footnote mark -- but ^p^p doesn't find them.

(I can't just delete all paragraph marks, because of
multi-paragraph
footnotes.)---

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Mr. Daniels,

That is probably my fault as I used "ThisDocument" vice "ActiveDocument" in
the code. You most likely placed the macro in a template before pinning it
to the QAT. Changing ThisDocument to ActiveDoucment should work (it does
here) but the code was clunky to begin with. Try this instead:

Sub ScratchMaco()
Dim oFN As Footnote
Dim i As Long
For Each oFN In ActiveDocument.Footnotes
On Error Resume Next
Do While Asc(oFN.Range.Characters.Last) = 13
oFN.Range.Characters.Last.Delete
On Error GoTo 0
Loop
Next
End Sub

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
I've just received a ms. from an author who ended every one of
hundreds of footnotes with Enter, which results in what looks on
screen like a sequence of paragraph marks -- the Enter plus the
end-of- footnote mark -- but ^p^p doesn't find them.

(I can't just delete all paragraph marks, because of
multi-paragraph footnotes.)---

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

It states, "As you may have found in the previous section, using the Macro
dialog box is not the most efficient way to run your macros. Ideally,
running a macro should be as simple as clicking a button or pressing a
keyboard shortcut."

Perhaps I should have indicated using the Macro dialog box isn't the most
efficient way to run macros you intend to use repeatedly. :-)

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Also, if I don't give it a button in the QAT, I don't know how to run
a macro. (*Word2007 Inside Out* indicates, p. 813, that doing it some
other way is clunky or inefficient anyway.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Nov 30, 10:24*am, "Yves Dhondt" wrote:

It also explains why it is not possible to have multiple footnotes on the
same line in Word. (I'm aware of the workaround using hidden text for the
'paragraph' marker.)

(But Word still leaves all the space that all the separate notes would
occupy, Suzanne has reported.)

It would be nice if that were fixed. In hot type books, it was very
usual to put two and three short reference footnotes on one line (a
column of such things under the left side of a text block looks quite
unbalanced). With large pages, it was quite common to have two columns
of footnotes under a single column of text -- that would be a nearly
adequate substitute for not being able to put several in one line.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The Macro dialog box was mentioned in section on recording macros. Also, as
noted at the beginning of the chapter, it doesn't begin to encompass macros
and VBA and is intended for those who are beginners. I'd have loved to have
been able to add more on the subject but was already pushing the scope of
the intended audience by including a portion on editing.

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP