Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
n8vnyr n8vnyr is offline

Default Why are some of the Word doc titles in the color blue?

When I open Windoes Explorer and find all my saved documents, some of the
titles are in blue text rather than the default black. I know this has
something to do with how I saved the document, but cannot recall how a blue
titled document is different from the others.

Thanx for your assistance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] is offline

Hi,

The blue color indicates that the file has been compressed by Windows. In
Windows Explorer, in the properties of each drive, you can see if the drive
is configured for compression. In general, files are not compressed
immediately. Hence you can see a mixture of compressed and uncompressed files
in the same location. For more detailed information, see
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true.
--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"n8vnyr" wrote:

When I open Windoes Explorer and find all my saved documents, some of the
titles are in blue text rather than the default black. I know this has
something to do with how I saved the document, but cannot recall how a blue
titled document is different from the others.

Thanx for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
n8vnyr n8vnyr is offline

Thank you very much for your assistance with my question. I recall that I
did some tweaking on my system in order to conserve space on my hard drive
and must have compressed some files in the process.

Now I have to figure out if this is a good practice and how it effects my
system's overall performance.

Thank you again for your help.

"n8vnyr" wrote:

When I open Windoes Explorer and find all my saved documents, some of the
titles are in blue text rather than the default black. I know this has
something to do with how I saved the document, but cannot recall how a blue
titled document is different from the others.

Thanx for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
n8vnyr n8vnyr is offline

I have read the information provided in the link you supplied and understand
that compressing files "You may notice a decrease in performance when
working with NTFS-compressed files."

Perhaps this was not such a good idea on my part.
I did not see insructions for how to 'de-compress' these files to regain
efficiency.

Can you please share your recommendation - to compress or to de-compress?

Thank you!

"n8vnyr" wrote:

When I open Windoes Explorer and find all my saved documents, some of the
titles are in blue text rather than the default black. I know this has
something to do with how I saved the document, but cannot recall how a blue
titled document is different from the others.

Thanx for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] is offline

Hi,

In my opinion, the advantages of leaving empty space on your disk far
outweigh the impact on performance, which is generally not noticeable. A lot
here depends on your specific hardware, but since the impact on performance
can occur onlywhen your computer reads or writes to the disk, if you don't
notice any delays (and I don't expect that you will), keep compressing.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"n8vnyr" wrote:

When I open Windoes Explorer and find all my saved documents, some of the
titles are in blue text rather than the default black. I know this has
something to do with how I saved the document, but cannot recall how a blue
titled document is different from the others.

Thanx for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
n8vnyr n8vnyr is offline

I am running MS Windows XP Pro SP 3, Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz,
1 GB RAM
Total Capacity: 37.25 GB and since April have increased free space from 9.26
to 20.69 GB by compressing and mostly cleaning files.
As a result, I am feeling pretty good about my accomplishments, since I am
not in a position to upgrade or replace my current sytem, I must make the
most of what I have and extend its life expectancy.

I appreciate your feedback so very much, since I am self-taught and describe
myself as being just under an intermediate level user.

Thanx for any and all help you provide.

"n8vnyr" wrote:

When I open Windoes Explorer and find all my saved documents, some of the
titles are in blue text rather than the default black. I know this has
something to do with how I saved the document, but cannot recall how a blue
titled document is different from the others.

Thanx for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

After reading this thread and the link, I told Vista to compress the
C: drive (since it's running out of space). All was well until Friday,
when I shut down the computer because I would be out all day and
lightning was expected. When I came back that evening, I went to turn
it on and the process stopped immediately -- with the message "BOOTMGR
is compressed." The only option offered is to Restart with Ctrl-Alt-
Del, which simply takes me right back to the same spot.

I can't find my Vista disk! I tried booting from the XP disk, but it
looks as though it would install XP in place of Vista, and that would
not be good. (Is there a way to _run_ the computer from the XP disk?
Would it be possible to copy BOOTMGR from it?)

If the Vista disk reappears, or if I can borrow one, will it know what
to do?

Or, is this a Sign that I should go ahead and upgrade to Windows 7
(which I _think_ I've seen on sale already)? ...hopefully it
accommodates the additions to Unicode since v. 5.0.

[writing from Asus eee Linux-based]

in the same location. For more detailed information, seehttp://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/prodd....
--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"n8vnyr" wrote:
When I open Windoes Explorer and find all my saved documents, some of the
titles are inbluetext rather than the default black. I know this has
something to do with how I saved the document, but cannot recall how ablue
titled document is different from the others.

Thanx for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Peter,

The same advice for using the Windows recovery environment is given at
http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-bootmgr-missing.html and at
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...d.php?t=151686. You need
the Vista disk to get started. The first article has a link to
http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-r...vironment.html with
explicit instructions. Also, check the possibility of a hidden
recovery partition mentioned in the last paragraph of that article.

Yes, any Vista disk will do, including a borrowed one. If you can't
find one locally, send me email.

At the moment, Windows 7 is available only to developers and IT people
who have a TechNet or MSDN subscription. It will be available for
general sale on October 22. I guess you don't want to wait that long.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"n8vnyr" wrote:
When I open Windoes Explorer and find all my saved documents, some of the
titles are inbluetext rather than the default black. I know this has
something to do with how I saved the document, but cannot recall how ablue
titled document is different from the others.

Thanx for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks -- that's exactly what I need to do.

Now can you 'splain why the Vista disk isn't with _every other
distribution disk_ associated with this computer?? Even the $5 "1500
card games!" from Office Depot?

As for October 22 -- will it be working properly when initially
released, or will it be a few months and a couple of SPs before it's
reliable (cf. Office SP2)?

And -- how could Vista's _own_ disk compression module have been
allowed to operate on such a vital part of the system?! You'd think
they would notice something like that. It's not like it was some third-
party operation!

On Aug 23, 10:36 am, Jay Freedman wrote:
Hi Peter,

The same advice for using the Windows recovery environment is given athttp://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-bootmgr-missing.htmland athttp://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151686. You need
the Vista disk to get started. The first article has a link tohttp://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-recovery-environment.htmlwith

Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

"n8vnyr" wrote:
When I open Windoes Explorer and find all my saved documents, some of the
titles are inbluetext rather than the default black. I know this has
something to do with how I saved the document, but cannot recall how ablue
titled document is different from the others.

Thanx for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The disk's location is a mystery. Maybe the dog ate it. I'll leave
that one to you to solve.

Because I have an MSDN subscription, I installed Windows 7 on my
desktop the weekend after it became available, and I've had no
problems except for a scanner driver that's incompatible and hasn't
been updated by Epson. I'll probably just attach the scanner to my
wife's PC, which is still on Windows XP. To be truthful, though, I
never had any difficulty with Vista, either. The last Windows version
that gave me any heartburn was the original Win 98 before 98 SE was
released.

As for how Vista could allow that damage to happen, I'm as surprised
as you are. In the bad old days of MSDOS, I think it was in 1.0 or 1.1
that the Format command would happily format the C: drive if there
weren't any arguments on the command line. The howls of rage were so
loud that the next version made you answer 'yes' to an 'are you sure'
prompt. Probably most of the current crew at MS are too young to
remember that fiasco. Certainly from a developer's point of view, it's
easy enough to check whether the drive being compressed is the boot
drive.

"n8vnyr" wrote:
When I open Windoes Explorer and find all my saved documents, some of the
titles are inbluetext rather than the default black. I know this has
something to do with how I saved the document, but cannot recall how ablue
titled document is different from the others.

Thanx for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

All is now copascetic. But on returning to the "resources/
documentation" link to discover how to turn off compression, I noted
that it's for XP (it refers to "My Computer"). Maybe there's another
one somewhere that's Vista-specific (but probably not, since the
instructions fit Vista perfectly).

Upon going to Computer Drive C: Properties, the only options were
"compress drive C:" and "compress drive C: and folders and
subfolders." What could be the difference? Would choosing the former
have left the boot sector alone? Would it also have left all the
documents in the folders and subfolders uncompressed?

(FWIW, the only mention of compression in David A. Karp's *Windows
Vista Annoyances* is to point out that a file can't be both compressed
and encrypted; he's only interested in encryption.)

So, thank you for the help!

"n8vnyr" wrote:
When I open Windoes Explorer and find all my saved documents, some of the
titles are inbluetext rather than the default black. *I know this has
something to do with how I saved the document, but cannot recall how ablue
titled document is different from the others.

Thanx for your assistance.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Glad to hear your computer is back in service. You're certainly welcome.

I don't know what the difference between the options is supposed to be, but
probably someone in the Windows newsgroups could answer the question.

Personally, I haven't used disk/file compression since the mid-1990s. Big
new disks have become very inexpensive; I recently bought a 500GB disk for
my external backup drive that cost less than $70, and now I see terabyte
disks for about $90.

"n8vnyr" wrote:
When I open Windoes Explorer and find all my saved documents,
some of the titles are inbluetext rather than the default
black. I know this has something to do with how I saved the
document, but cannot recall how ablue titled document is
different from the others.

Thanx for your assistance.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My computer guy (not the one who provided the fix today!) claimed that
he installed my old 250 Gb drive in the new computer with its 150 Gb
drive (in two partitions, with all the files from the old one copied
onto drive D -- but that he was unable to get the computer to
recognize its existence. The original plan was to have a Vista drive
and an XP drive, the latter to be able to keep running older stuff
that isn't happy in Vista (such as Corel Paradox, the WordPerfect-
associated database program that's supposed to be better than Access).
Now I suspect that the other drive really is there, because whenever I
Restart, the opening screen asks me to choose among Vista and two XP
systems. Choosing either of the XP systems accomplishes nothing. And
"Computer" thinks there's a "removable drive F:" but when I click on
it, it tells me to insert a removable media! (There's also an
external USB hard drive, whose partitions it calls G: and H:, and when
I plug in a USB flash drive or backup hard drive it recognizes it but
doesn't give it a drive letter.)

So that's why I need to compress.

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
All is now copascetic. But on returning to the "resources/
documentation" link to discover how to turn off compression, I noted
that it's for XP (it refers to "My Computer"). Maybe there's another
one somewhere that's Vista-specific (but probably not, since the
instructions fit Vista perfectly).

Upon going to Computer Drive C: Properties, the only options were
"compress drive C:" and "compress drive C: and folders and
subfolders." What could be the difference? Would choosing the former
have left the boot sector alone? Would it also have left all the
documents in the folders and subfolders uncompressed?

(FWIW, the only mention of compression in David A. Karp's *Windows
Vista Annoyances* is to point out that a file can't be both compressed
and encrypted; he's only interested in encryption.)

So, thank you for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lois Lois is offline

I did not read all the responses to your question but this is how I turned
the blue titles back to black
1. select a file that is blue
2.right click
3.click properties
4.click advanced
5.UNCHECK 'compress files to save disk space'
6.click OK
7. click apply
8.click OK

It worked for me. I hope it helped you.

"n8vnyr" wrote:

When I open Windoes Explorer and find all my saved documents, some of the
titles are in blue text rather than the default black. I know this has
something to do with how I saved the document, but cannot recall how a blue
titled document is different from the others.

Thanx for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lois Lois is offline

There is nothing 'wrong' with having the titles in blue. However, some of us
are not that computer savvy and could not connect the 'compress files' with
the change of color in the titles. One day all my titles were black and then
the next some were blue. I never connected this with the OK I gave to
'compress files' several days earlier. Therefore, I was perplexed and in
somewhat of a panic about why this occurred. Was something wrong with my
computer? What had happened? So I researched it and found out how to change
things back to black, if that is what someone WISHES to do. For me, every
day is a learning experience on my computer and I am very grateful to those
who are more knowledgeable that I am and who can help answer these questions.

"n8vnyr" wrote:
When I open Windoes Explorer and find all my saved documents, some of the
titles are in blue text rather than the default black. I know this has
something to do with how I saved the document, but cannot recall how a blue
titled document is different from the others.

Thanx for your assistance.-

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's just that focusing on the color of the titles seemed odd, as
opposed to finding out what the color was indicating (and seeing that
that was probably a useful thing that didn't need fixing). Indeed I
learned that files _could_ be compressed precisely because someone
asked here what the blue meant. But see my first posting in this
thread for a rather dire result of turning compression loose on the
computer generally.