Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
butter butter is offline

Default Unable to open/expand the file menu - Word 2003/SP3

When in Word I am unable to open/expand the file menu. It just highlights
the word "File" but nothing happens when I click on it. All other menu's
work just fine.

I have ran a detect/repair but that did not work.

Any help would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Go to Tools Customize Toolbars. Select "Menu Bar" in the list and click
the Reset button.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

butter wrote:
When in Word I am unable to open/expand the file menu. It just
highlights the word "File" but nothing happens when I click on it.
All other menu's work just fine.

I have ran a detect/repair but that did not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"butter" wrote in message
When in Word I am unable to open/expand the file menu. It just highlights
the word "File" but nothing happens when I click on it. All other menu's
work just fine.

I have ran a detect/repair but that did not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

As Stefan suggested in another reply to your original post, try
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

butter wrote:
When in Word I am unable to open/expand the file menu. It just
highlights the word "File" but nothing happens when I click on it.
All other menu's work just fine.

I have ran a detect/repair but that did not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
butter butter is offline

Using the winword.exe /a works when launching Word but if I close Word and
double click on a file it fails again. I tried deleting the Data registry
key and relaunched Word but still no luck. The Data registry was not
re-created.

Brian

"butter" wrote in message
When in Word I am unable to open/expand the file menu. It just highlights
the word "File" but nothing happens when I click on it. All other menu's
work just fine.

I have ran a detect/repair but that did not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you on a corporate network? If so, you may not have write access to the
registry.

If this is a home computer, or at least a computer where you are the
Administrator, you could try deleting the whole Word key in the registry
instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"butter" wrote in message
When in Word I am unable to open/expand the file menu. It just
highlights
the word "File" but nothing happens when I click on it. All other
menu's
work just fine.

I have ran a detect/repair but that did not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't see why a reinstall should be required. On the other hand, if your
account doesn't have the proper rights to recreate the registry entries, I'm
not sure what would happen. :-( With the company, is there an
Administrator who could assist you?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP