Gary T

Default Equation Editor

Hi,

I am using the Microsoft Equation Editor and I have 2 questions:

(1) What font does the equation editor use, as I would like a text box at
the end of the editor to contain the same font;

(2) How do I get a numerator and denominator to be displayed? (i.e. how do
I get the numerator on one line, the denominator on the line below, and also
an Total= "in the middle")??

Many Thanks,

Gary T.
Bob Mathews

On 1-Mar-2005, GaryT wrote:

(1) What font does the equation editor use, as I would like
a text box at the end of the editor to contain the same font;

It uses whatever font you tell it to use. Times New Roman 12 pt
is the default, but you can change fonts at Style Define, and
sizes at Size Define. Once you open Equation Editor, the menus
on Word's menu bar aren't Word's menus any more -- they're
Equation Editor's menus. (Just make sure in the Define Styles
dialog, these styles remain set to Symbol font: Symbol, LC Greek,
& UC Greek.)

(2) How do I get a numerator and denominator to be
displayed? (i.e. how do I get the numerator on one line,
the denominator on the line below, and also an Total=
"in the middle")??

Use a fraction template. You have 5 to choose from. They're on
the second row of palette buttons, second from the left. Click
the palette button, click the fraction template you want, type
the numerator, press Tab, type the denominator, then press Tab
again to get the cursor out of the denominator. Click outside of
the Equation Editor dotted box to get back to Word.
--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training 830-990-9699

Also, note that if all you want is a simple common fraction, Equation Editor
may be overkill. The EQ (Equation) field in Word with an \f switch produces
fractions easily. The syntax of the field is fully described in Word's Help
topic "Field codes: EQ (Equation) field," but the syntax for a field to
produce, say, 15/16 would be:

{ EQ \f (15,16) }

The field delimiters (the things that look like braces but can't be entered
from the keyboard) must be inserted using Ctrl+F9. You can apply any font
and font size you want to the field, and the resulting fraction will reflect
it.