Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim In Minneapolis Jim In Minneapolis is offline

Default Exclude Dictionary not working?

I need to tell Word 2007 (running under Vista) to "flag" some words. For
example, I want the speller to flag "manger" as an incorrect spelling (I
sometimes type that, when I actually meant manager)

I've tried my best to follow the Word 2007 "help" instructions . . . . but
the Exclude Dictionary does not seem to be paying attention . . . it still
accepts "manger" as an accepted word (does not flag it).

Here's what I've done . . .

TO CREATE AN €śEXCLUDE€ť DICTIONARY:
1. C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof
2. Click on file: ExcludeDictionaryEN0409
3. Open with MS-Word
4. Type the word to ad in LOWER case only, followed by hard return
5. Save

What have I done wrong?

Thanks so much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You also need to restart Word.

Jim In Minneapolis wrote:
I need to tell Word 2007 (running under Vista) to "flag" some words.
For example, I want the speller to flag "manger" as an incorrect
spelling (I sometimes type that, when I actually meant manager)

I've tried my best to follow the Word 2007 "help" instructions . . .
. but the Exclude Dictionary does not seem to be paying attention . .
. it still accepts "manger" as an accepted word (does not flag it).

Here's what I've done . . .

TO CREATE AN "EXCLUDE" DICTIONARY:
1. C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof
2. Click on file: ExcludeDictionaryEN0409
3. Open with MS-Word
4. Type the word to ad in LOWER case only, followed by hard return
5. Save

What have I done wrong?

Thanks so much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Graham may be right (probably is). I was tinkering with this earlier.
Didn't work for me either. However, I had two English languages enabled
(U.K. and U.S.). I only edited the U.S. exclusion dictionary and it didn't
work. After I disabled the U.K. language it worked. I don't remember if I
restarted Word in this process or not.

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT][_2_] Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT][_2_] is offline

Jim,

The ExcludeDictionaryEN0409.lex file should be saved as a text file
(Unicode), not as a Word file. I have just tried with this word (manger)
right now and it works.

It's interesting you want to remove this very word, which I mentioned in the
post below on our blog when I discussed exclude dictionaries.

http://blogs.msdn.com/naturallanguag...ictionary.aspx

As I was saying, removing "manger" also means the word will be flagged if
you type something like "Jesus was born in a manger". The Office 2007
contextual speller flags (with blue squiggly lines) some contexts in which
"manger" is used erroneously, without having to put it in the exclude
dictionary (e.g. if you type "I wanted to become a program manger in this
corporation", you will see it is flagged).

I hope it helps,

Have a nice weekend,

Thierry

Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT]
Microsoft Natural Language Group

"Jim In Minneapolis" wrote:

I need to tell Word 2007 (running under Vista) to "flag" some words. For
example, I want the speller to flag "manger" as an incorrect spelling (I
sometimes type that, when I actually meant manager)

I've tried my best to follow the Word 2007 "help" instructions . . . . but
the Exclude Dictionary does not seem to be paying attention . . . it still
accepts "manger" as an accepted word (does not flag it).

Here's what I've done . . .

TO CREATE AN €śEXCLUDE€ť DICTIONARY:
1. C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof
2. Click on file: ExcludeDictionaryEN0409
3. Open with MS-Word
4. Type the word to ad in LOWER case only, followed by hard return
5. Save

What have I done wrong?

Thanks so much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I expect what Thierry and the others have told you will solve the problem,
but see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm just in
case there's anything you have overlooked.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jim In Minneapolis" wrote in
message ...
I need to tell Word 2007 (running under Vista) to "flag" some words. For
example, I want the speller to flag "manger" as an incorrect spelling (I
sometimes type that, when I actually meant manager)

I've tried my best to follow the Word 2007 "help" instructions . . . . but
the Exclude Dictionary does not seem to be paying attention . . . it still
accepts "manger" as an accepted word (does not flag it).

Here's what I've done . . .

TO CREATE AN €śEXCLUDE€ť DICTIONARY:
1. C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof
2. Click on file: ExcludeDictionaryEN0409
3. Open with MS-Word
4. Type the word to ad in LOWER case only, followed by hard return
5. Save

What have I done wrong?

Thanks so much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would hope *something* would flag "Jesus was born in a manger." He was
actually born and then laid in a manger.

http://word.mvps.org

"Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT]" wrote in
message ...

"Jim In Minneapolis" wrote:

I need to tell Word 2007 (running under Vista) to "flag" some words. For
example, I want the speller to flag "manger" as an incorrect spelling (I
sometimes type that, when I actually meant manager)

I've tried my best to follow the Word 2007 "help" instructions . . . .
but
the Exclude Dictionary does not seem to be paying attention . . . it
still
accepts "manger" as an accepted word (does not flag it).

Here's what I've done . . .

TO CREATE AN €śEXCLUDE€ť DICTIONARY:
1. C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof
2. Click on file: ExcludeDictionaryEN0409
3. Open with MS-Word
4. Type the word to ad in LOWER case only, followed by hard return
5. Save

What have I done wrong?

Thanks so much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can think of at least one Christmas carol that has the simpler
version ...

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

http://blogs.msdn.com/naturallanguag...1/can-i-remove...

"Jim In Minneapolis" wrote:

I need to tell Word 2007 (running under Vista) to "flag" some words. *For
example, I want the speller to flag "manger" as an incorrect spelling (I
sometimes type that, when I actually meant manager)

I've tried my best to follow the Word 2007 "help" instructions . . . .
but
the Exclude Dictionary does not seem to be paying attention . . . it
still
accepts "manger" as an accepted word (does not flag it).

Here's what I've done . . .

TO CREATE AN “EXCLUDE” DICTIONARY:
1. C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof
2. Click on file: *ExcludeDictionaryEN0409
3. Open with MS-Word
4. Type the word to ad in LOWER case only, followed by hard return
5. Save

What have I done wrong?

Thanks so much-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yep, possibly written by someone who thought a manger was a stable? There's
a folk carol that includes the line "like you and like I," and I'm not fond
of that one, either.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jim In Minneapolis" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT][_2_] Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT][_2_] is offline

Thanks for pointing this out to me, Suzanne, you are absolutely right. I
should have said "Jesus was laid in a manger". I am relieved to see that
there are millions of occurrences of "born in a manger" on the web
(http://search.live.com/results.aspx?...1&FOR M=PORE), so I am not alone :-).

Best,

Thierry

"Jim In Minneapolis" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The US English exclusion dictionary is ExcludeDictionaryEN0409.lex. The UK
English exclusion dictionary is ExcludeDictionaryEN0809. The numbers are the
HEX versions of the decimal numbers shown in Word 2007 help under 'Locale
identification numbers for language-specific files'. Thus English US -
1033 - in Hex is 409 (0409). English UK - 2057 - in Hex is 809 (0809). The
simplest way to transcribe the numbers is to use the scientific calculator
view of the Windows calculator. Click the 'Dec' radio button, enter the
number eg 1049 (Russian) and then click the 'Hex' radio button and you get
419. The exclusion dictionary for Russian would therefore be
ExcludeDictionaryEN0419.lex
But you still have to restart Word for it to read the change

Jim In Minneapolis wrote:
I need to tell Word 2007 (running under Vista) to "flag" some words.
For example, I want the speller to flag "manger" as an incorrect
spelling (I sometimes type that, when I actually meant manager)

I've tried my best to follow the Word 2007 "help" instructions . . .
. but the Exclude Dictionary does not seem to be paying attention .
. . it still accepts "manger" as an accepted word (does not flag
it). Here's what I've done . . .

TO CREATE AN "EXCLUDE" DICTIONARY:
1. C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof
2. Click on file: ExcludeDictionaryEN0409
3. Open with MS-Word
4. Type the word to ad in LOWER case only, followed by hard return
5. Save

What have I done wrong?

Thanks so much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Oops - getting carried away there - Russian would actually be
ExcludeDictionaryRU0419.lex (

Jim In Minneapolis wrote:
I need to tell Word 2007 (running under Vista) to "flag" some
words. For example, I want the speller to flag "manger" as an
incorrect spelling (I sometimes type that, when I actually meant
manager) I've tried my best to follow the Word 2007 "help" instructions
. .
. . but the Exclude Dictionary does not seem to be paying
attention . . . it still accepts "manger" as an accepted word
(does not flag it). Here's what I've done . . .

TO CREATE AN "EXCLUDE" DICTIONARY:
1. C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof
2. Click on file: ExcludeDictionaryEN0409
3. Open with MS-Word
4. Type the word to ad in LOWER case only, followed by hard return
5. Save

What have I done wrong?

Thanks so much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The numbers for all the English versions are in my article, in which there
is also a link to another article that lists them all (for all languages).

http://word.mvps.org

Jim In Minneapolis wrote:
I need to tell Word 2007 (running under Vista) to "flag" some words.
For example, I want the speller to flag "manger" as an incorrect
spelling (I sometimes type that, when I actually meant manager)

I've tried my best to follow the Word 2007 "help" instructions . . .
. but the Exclude Dictionary does not seem to be paying attention .
. . it still accepts "manger" as an accepted word (does not flag
it). Here's what I've done . . .

TO CREATE AN "EXCLUDE" DICTIONARY:
1. C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof
2. Click on file: ExcludeDictionaryEN0409
3. Open with MS-Word
4. Type the word to ad in LOWER case only, followed by hard return
5. Save

What have I done wrong?

Thanks so much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The purpose of swaddling clothes is to swaddle!!

(Aren't the "use it in a sentence" hints of the National Spelling Bee
helpful to the kids?)

On Mar 30, 12:29*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
As grammatim says, it's a common phrase. A lot of people don't really know
what a manger is, any more than they know about the purpose of swaddling
clothes. g

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT]" wrote in

Thanks for pointing this out to me, Suzanne, you are absolutely right. I
should have said "Jesus was laid in a manger". I am relieved to see that
there are millions of occurrences of "born in a manger" on the web
(http://search.live.com/results.aspx?...2&first=11...),
so I am not alone :-).

Best,

Thierry

"Jim In Minneapolis" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ah, but why do babies want/need to be swaddled (i.e., wrapped tightly)? And
yes, I agree about the "use it in a sentence" hints.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jim In Minneapolis" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, I just watched a PowerPoint presentation given by a Microsoft Program
Manager (who will remain unnamed). I can't say for sure that he was using
PPT 2007, but his title slide identified him as a "Program Manger." g