almibar

Default How can I transfer WS Professional docs to Word 2003?

I have a lot of documents in Wordstar Professional and I changed my text
processor to Word 2003. As I still need those documents, how can I do its
transfer?
Thanks
--
Almibar
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I've never heard of WordStar. Have you looked to see if there's a third
party converter available?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"almibar" wrote in message
I have a lot of documents in Wordstar Professional and I changed my text
processor to Word 2003. As I still need those documents, how can I do its
transfer?
Thanks
--
Almibar

Jay Freedman

JoAnn, child, don't go showing off your youthful ignorance. :-) All of
us geezers remember WordStar, at least the CPM/DOS versions, with some
fondness.

Almibar, you're going to have a tough time with this. There's a
converter from WordStar for DOS to Word at
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm, but that probably isn't going to
help much. Other than that, your main source of information will
probably be http://www.wordstar.org/index.htm, and particularly
http://www.wordstar.org/wordstar/pages/convert_faq.htm. Unfortunately,
I don't think you're going to have much luck finding a batch
converter; it will be a one-document-at-a-time job, if it works at
all.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"almibar" wrote in message
I have a lot of documents in Wordstar Professional and I changed my text
processor to Word 2003. As I still need those documents, how can I do its
transfer?
Thanks
--
Almibar

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Use Google. Try WordStar + converter

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"almibar" wrote in message
How can I do that?
Pls help me!
--

"almibar" wrote in message
I have a lot of documents in Wordstar Professional and I changed my
text
processor to Word 2003. As I still need those documents, how can I do
its
transfer?
Thanks
--
Almibar

Helmut Weber

Hi JoAnn,

I think I'm getting old.

I've never heard of WordStar.

Just for fun, ask e.g. in public.word.vba.general
if anyone has ever heard of WordStar.

I wonder what answers You will get.

At Almibar:
I changed my text processor to Word 2003.

From Wordstar Pro to Word 2003?
That must be almost a generation for humans!
I don't get it.

If no WordStar Pro to Word 2003 converter
is to be found, I think, and if it is about a lot of money,
one could built up a row of converters,
if older ones exist, maybe on a row of different
historical machines...

Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA

Win XP, Office 2003
"red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Child? Having met you I'd say we're about the same age. :-)

I didn't start using computers until Word 4 or 4.5, something like that. I
remember v5 being released. And then came Windows 3.1! GASP!

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"almibar" wrote in message
I have a lot of documents in Wordstar Professional and I changed my text
processor to Word 2003. As I still need those documents, how can I do
its
transfer?
Thanks
--
Almibar

Jay Freedman

Hence the smiley. Maybe it should have been ;-) or even ;-

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:48:55 -0400, "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]"
wrote:

Child? Having met you I'd say we're about the same age. :-)

I didn't start using computers until Word 4 or 4.5, something like that. I
remember v5 being released. And then came Windows 3.1! GASP!

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

.. .

"almibar" wrote in message
I have a lot of documents in Wordstar Professional and I changed my text
processor to Word 2003. As I still need those documents, how can I do
its
transfer?
Thanks
--
Almibar

Graham Mayor

Jay Freedman wrote:
JoAnn, child, don't go showing off your youthful ignorance. :-) All of
us geezers remember WordStar, at least the CPM/DOS versions, with some
fondness.

Indeed

Almibar, you're going to have a tough time with this. There's a
converter from WordStar for DOS to Word at
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm, but that probably isn't going to
help much.

Oh ye of little faith. The converter works for the DOS versions of Wordstar.
The Windows version of WordStar (spit) was not as I remember called Wordstar
Professional. For the converter to recognise the files they must use the
Wordstar filename extension ws. In the good old days of DOS you could get
away with any extension.

PopS

Didn't WS Pro have a .RTF file format in the Save As? MS Word
can read those files.
That assumes you still have it installed of course.
You could also look at what Word can import/Open, and at what
WS can Save As/Export, if you still have it on your machine.

There are converters available, and they're not perfect, but they
are better than some of the alternatives.

Pop

"almibar" wrote in message
:I have a lot of documents in Wordstar Professional and I
changed my text
: processor to Word 2003. As I still need those documents, how
can I do its
: transfer?
: Thanks
: --
: Almibar

Timothy L

StarOffice 5.2 can convert WordStar documents, however, I do not have any WordStar documents to test it on.

I know this as I downloaded and tried it a long time ago when Sun Microsystems offered it for free.

Assuming that you have the free version of StarOffice 5.2 for Windows somewhere, run
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en.exe

Or if you had downloaded each individual part, run:
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-000.exe

For the parts installer to work, you will need these files:
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-001.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-002.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-003.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-004.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-005.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-006.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-007.bin

In addition, you might also want/need:

StarOffice 5.2 Player
sop-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en.exe

Database (Adabas D)
soa-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en.exe

You can find more information about StarOffice he
http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/

--
Please post all replies to the newsgroup for the benefit of others.
Requests for assistance by email will NOT be acknowledged!

"almibar" wrote in message
I have a lot of documents in Wordstar Professional and I changed my text
processor to Word 2003. As I still need those documents, how can I do its
transfer?
Thanks
--
Almibar

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Not knowing specific Wordstar version it's hard to say but perhaps one of
the converters from Graham Mayor's site will do the job:

http://gmayor.com/downloads.htm

If not have a look at at Conversions Pus for DataViz:

http://www.dataviz.com/products/conv...lus/index.html

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/13/08 10:11 AM, in article
, "Borderman"
wrote:

"almibar" wrote:

I have a lot of documents in Wordstar Professional and I changed my text
processor to Word 2003. As I still need those documents, how can I do its
transfer?
Thanks
--
Almibar

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The Wordstar converter on my web site will work with the DOS versions of
Wordstar from version 3.3 to 7. However it relies on the filename extension
to identify the file type (looking for WS) and one of the 'features' of DOS
word processors was that you could happily use any extension. The download
text file suggests renaming the files, but you could, from the Tools menu in
Word, select Options and then go to the General tab and check the box
against the "Confirm conversions at open" item, which will cause file open
prompt for the converter to use.