Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CKE CKE is offline

Default changes in SP2 Word 2003 impacts how documents display and close

Before I downloaded SP2, I was able to have multiple Word documents open, and
all open files displayed as separate buttons on the task bar at the bottom of
the screen (where the start button is located) (assuming I didn't have too
many docs open). Since I downloaded the upgrade, I've noticed two really
frustrating changes, and I'm wondering if there is a way to go back to the
way it worked befo

1. Only the active document gets a button on the task bar. I have to click
on Window to display another open document where I used to be able to select
the document I wanted by clicking its corresponding button on the task bar.

2. When I click the close button (the X on the upper right hand corner of
the screen), it closes all my open documents instead of just the one that is
displayed. Since I'm so used to the behavior of the previous release, I've
ended up closing documents without saving my changes more than once, losing
an hour or so of work. (I have autorecover on, but that does me no good
here). (I know I can click the lower "X", but old habits die hard)

Is there a way to go back to the way Word worked before??

Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In Tools Options View, check the box that says "Windows in
Taskbar". The upgrade shouldn't have changed the setting, but "stuff"
happens...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 07:38:01 -0800, CKE
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

From the Tools menu, select Options and then go to the View tab and check
the box against the item "Windows in Taskbar"

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"CKE" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CKE CKE is offline

That worked. Thank you so much to Jay, Doug, and Suzanne for responding so
promptly. I really appreciate it!