Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alimo

Default remove keyboard shortcut for research pane in Word

When I try to select vertically using the Alt key while highlighting the
data, the pane for Research sometimes (often) comes up instead of doing the
select. There is no keyboard shortcut shown for Research, so I can't removed
the shortcut, but I always have this problem.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

Alt+Drag still selects a vertical column of text in Word 2003.
The trick is to remember to click *before* you press the Alt key.
Two ways to do it:
1. Left-click where you want to begin selecting text, press
and hold the left mouse button, press and hold the Alt key, drag
to the opposite corner of the text column, release the left mouse
button, and release the Alt key.
2. Left-click where you want to begin selecting text, press
and hold the left mouse button, drag to the opposite corner of
the text "column", press the Alt key, release the left mouse

Alimo wrote:

When I try to select vertically using the Alt key while highlighting the
data, the pane for Research sometimes (often) comes up instead of doing the
select. There is no keyboard shortcut shown for Research, so I can't removed
the shortcut, but I always have this problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The shortcut for the Research Pane is Alt+click so make sure you hold down
the left mouse button when dragging to select the text and the research pane
will not appear.

Alimo wrote:
When I try to select vertically using the Alt key while highlighting
the data, the pane for Research sometimes (often) comes up instead of
doing the select. There is no keyboard shortcut shown for Research,
so I can't removed the shortcut, but I always have this problem.

Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline
Junior Member

Location: Massachusetts

I have fought with this issue myself for years, but I've finally discovered the answer.

From Word, press Alt-F11 to open the VB Editor.

Press Ctrl-G to open the Immediate Window.

Type this line and press Enter:

Application.CommandBars("Research").Enabled = False