Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tyler T Tyler T is offline

Default Replace Section Breaks with Page Breaks Automatically?

Can somebody tell me how to search and replace Section Breaks with Page
Breaks automatically? I have a 55-page document that came from a merged file
and has section breaks every other page and I wish to have them be one
section for numbering, etc.

Thanks,
Tyler

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use ^b for section breaks and ^m for manual page breaks.

To discover these symbols (and others), in Find and Replace, click the More
button. At the bottom, drop down the Special list. Note that special
search/replace characters can vary for Find what: and Replace with:. They
can also vary if the Use wildcards option is selected. In this case, don't
enable Use wildcards, and put ^b in Find what: and ^m in Replace with:.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

Tyler T wrote:

Can somebody tell me how to search and replace Section Breaks with Page
Breaks automatically? I have a 55-page document that came from a
merged file
and has section breaks every other page and I wish to have them be one
section for numbering, etc.

Thanks,
Tyler

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word, click on Edit | Replace | More. Click in the "Find
what:" box, and then click on Special | Section Break. Click in
the "Replace with:" box, and then click on Special | Manual Page
Break. Click on Replace All.

Tyler T wrote:

Can somebody tell me how to search and replace Section Breaks with Page
Breaks automatically? I have a 55-page document that came from a merged file
and has section breaks every other page and I wish to have them be one
section for numbering, etc.

Thanks,
Tyler

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Herb and garfield-n-odie have told you how to replace them, but I would
suggest that you merely delete the section breaks and not insert page
breaks. It's best to control text flow with paragraph formatting rather than
manual breaks.

"Tyler T" wrote in message
Can somebody tell me how to search and replace Section Breaks with Page
Breaks automatically? I have a 55-page document that came from a merged

file
and has section breaks every other page and I wish to have them be one
section for numbering, etc.

Thanks,
Tyler

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
biscuit biscuit is offline

Hi, I have Word 2007 and it didn't work for me. I got the error message "Word
has completed the search of the document and has made 0 replacements." How to
fix this problem? I have hundreds of section breaks to replace with page
breaks in my document...

Tyler T wrote:

Can somebody tell me how to search and replace Section Breaks with Page
Breaks automatically? I have a 55-page document that came from a merged file
and has section breaks every other page and I wish to have them be one
section for numbering, etc.

Thanks,
Tyler

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
madchad madchad is offline

Removing Section Breaks is a problem with Find/Replace in Office 2007.

I can't do this either. I know how to use find/replace with ^b.

Is it possible that this is a problem when using a document with section
breaks created automatically by Office after a mail merge?

I am trying to do this. When I run find/Replace on ^b, it finds all the
characters, but when trying to do replace, word responds with made 0
replacements.

Please help...

Suzanne, can you please try this? Simply create a mail merge and then try
to automatically remove the section breaks. I've spent about 30 minutes
trying different methods and the only thing that works is manual deletion. I
had to do this on a 72 page document.

Thanks in advance for the help.

"Tyler T" wrote in message
Can somebody tell me how to search and replace Section Breaks with Page
Breaks automatically? I have a 55-page document that came from a merged

file
and has section breaks every other page and I wish to have them be one
section for numbering, etc.

Thanks,
Tyler

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Are the section breaks right before tables? In that case Find/Replace
doesn't work properly, and you might have to write a macro or do it by hand.

Regards,
Klaus

"madchad" wrote:
Removing Section Breaks is a problem with Find/Replace in Office 2007.

I can't do this either. I know how to use find/replace with ^b.

Is it possible that this is a problem when using a document with section
breaks created automatically by Office after a mail merge?

I am trying to do this. When I run find/Replace on ^b, it finds all the
characters, but when trying to do replace, word responds with made 0
replacements.

Please help...

Suzanne, can you please try this? Simply create a mail merge and then try
to automatically remove the section breaks. I've spent about 30 minutes
trying different methods and the only thing that works is manual deletion.
had to do this on a 72 page document.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
madchad madchad is offline

Yes!

They are....

Microsoft, please fix this!

"madchad" wrote:
Removing Section Breaks is a problem with Find/Replace in Office 2007.

I can't do this either. I know how to use find/replace with ^b.

Is it possible that this is a problem when using a document with section
breaks created automatically by Office after a mail merge?

I am trying to do this. When I run find/Replace on ^b, it finds all the
characters, but when trying to do replace, word responds with made 0
replacements.

Please help...

Suzanne, can you please try this? Simply create a mail merge and then try
to automatically remove the section breaks. I've spent about 30 minutes
trying different methods and the only thing that works is manual deletion.
had to do this on a 72 page document.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Why do you need to remove the section breaks in a mail merge? It is not
necessary in order to print individual parts of the document and if you want
the document split into separate documents for each record then there are
better ways - see http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Herb and garfield-n-odie have told you how to replace them, but I
would suggest that you merely delete the section breaks and not
insert page breaks. It's best to control text flow with paragraph
formatting rather than manual breaks.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Tyler T" wrote in message
Can somebody tell me how to search and replace Section Breaks with
Page Breaks automatically? I have a 55-page document that came
from a merged file and has section breaks every other page and I
wish to have them be one section for numbering, etc.

Thanks,
Tyler

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth B Beth B is offline

The problem that I am having is that I have a blank page at the end of a
document and right before it is a section break. I have tried deleting the
section break and changing it to a page break but both options make the
headers and footers of the previous pages be removed.

If someone could please help me out with this that would be great.

Thanks

(p,s, Using Word 2007)

"Tyler T" wrote in message
Can somebody tell me how to search and replace Section Breaks with Page
Breaks automatically? I have a 55-page document that came from a merged

file
and has section breaks every other page and I wish to have them be one
section for numbering, etc.

Thanks,
Tyler

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you remove the section break(s) the formatting that is stored *in* the
section break(s) will be removed also - that's normal behaviour.
If you want to retain the header and footer a previous section, then with
the cursor in the header of the following section check 'link to previous'
from the design tab repeat for the footer.