Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bao Pu Bao Pu is offline

Default How to set default fonts?

Hi,

I work with documents that are mostly written in English but include some
Chinese characters as well. The English font I like is MS Reference Serif and
the Chinese font I like is Simsun.

Now, the MS serif font seems to be the default because all new documents I
open are set to MS serif. I seem to recall having Simsun as my default
Chinese font whenever I copy-and-pasted some Chinese characters in the
document they would appear in Simsun font. But now something has changed and
different Chinese fonts (e.g., MS Mincho, PMing LiU) are the fonts used when
I paste some characters into the document.

Can anyone tell me why? Can anyone tell me how to set the defaults for both
English and Chinese fonts?

thanks in advance,
Bao Pu
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're in Word2003, then when you Modify a style (Styles &
Formatting, right-click on style name), under Format Font the upper
section tells it the roman font for that style, the lower section the
"complex scripts" font. Do this in the Normal style (or whichever is
your basic style), be sure the change is saved to the normal.dot
template, and you should be ok.

On Apr 5, 10:31*am, Bao Pu wrote:
Hi,

I work with documents that are mostly written in English but include some
Chinese characters as well. The English font I like is MS Reference Serif and
the Chinese font I like is Simsun.

Now, the MS serif font seems to be the default because all new documents I
open are set to MS serif. I seem to recall having Simsun as my default
Chinese font whenever I copy-and-pasted some Chinese characters in the
document they would appear in Simsun font. But now something has changed and
different Chinese fonts (e.g., MS Mincho, PMing LiU) are the fonts used when
I paste some characters into the document.

Can anyone tell me why? Can anyone tell me how to set the defaults for both
English and Chinese fonts?

thanks in advance,
Bao Pu

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bao Pu Bao Pu is offline

"grammatim" wrote:

If you're in Word2003, then when you Modify a style (Styles &
Formatting, right-click on style name), under Format Font the upper
section tells it the roman font for that style, the lower section the
"complex scripts" font. Do this in the Normal style (or whichever is
your basic style), be sure the change is saved to the normal.dot
template, and you should be ok.

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I am using Word 2002 SP3, which came with
Works Suite 2006. I can't find the words "complex scripts" anywhere.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It showed up (in Word2003) after I enabled the Arabic and Chinese IMEs
in Windows -- since you can already type in Chinese, I assume you've
already done that. Why don't you add Arabic and see if that makes a
difference? And then remove it, and see if that unmakes it?

On Apr 5, 12:41*pm, Bao Pu wrote:
"grammatim" wrote:
If you're in Word2003, then when you Modify a style (Styles &
Formatting, right-click on style name), under Format Font the upper
section tells it the roman font for that style, the lower section the
"complex scripts" font. Do this in the Normal style (or whichever is
your basic style), be sure the change is saved to the normal.dot
template, and you should be ok.

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I am using Word 2002 SP3, which came with
Works Suite 2006. I can't find the words "complex scripts" anywhere.

Indian language fonts to be included as default fonts in windows Ashok Kothare Microsoft Word Help 34 October 1st 08 07:42 AM
Default fonts Dave[_6_] New Users 2 July 7th 07 05:44 AM
Default fonts [email protected] New Users 2 April 5th 06 11:02 PM
How do I set editing fonts different than default fonts? Cleso Microsoft Word Help 1 March 6th 06 05:02 AM
changing default fonts alsife Page Layout 1 September 20th 05 09:58 PM