burkito

Default Recover Word Document after WIndows automatically restarted compu.

Can I recover six hours of work on a word document after I left my computer
for two minutes in which time windows restarted my computer for an update
without giving th option of saving my work. I was a total idiot and thought
that autorecovery every 5 minutes prevented this from happening. I'm on the
verge of tears.
Graham Mayor

You didn't save the document in six hours? If you have not saved the
document there is nothing to recover.
Autorecover is not foolproof and only recovers the documents in the event of
a crash.
Looks like you'll have to break out the handkerchief

burkito wrote:
Can I recover six hours of work on a word document after I left my
computer for two minutes in which time windows restarted my computer
for an update without giving th option of saving my work. I was a
total idiot and thought that autorecovery every 5 minutes prevented
this from happening. I'm on the verge of tears.

Big Dave UK

Default Recover Word Document after WIndows automatically restarted co

Is that entirely true? In my experience, if you had autorecovery on when Word
is killed for any reason, if you open Word later on it's own, it will find
the recovery files and offer the recovery process. I guess the 'legitimate'
Windows update process shutting things down may not be counted as a 'crash'
by Word, though, and the recovery files are ignored/cleaned-up? *shrug*. Oh
well.

Autorecovery files are a good idea, but, no it isn't foolproof or very clear
on how and when it works or even how to do the recovery when things go wrong.

If it ever goes wrong, try opening Word on it's own STRAIGHT AWAY (not
opening a file) and if Word can recover a file, it will. If you do anything
else with word (like trying to open a file) it will 'forget' about any
recovery that might have happened.

burkito wrote:
Can I recover six hours of work on a word document after I left my
computer for two minutes in which time windows restarted my computer
for an update without giving th option of saving my work. I was a
total idiot and thought that autorecovery every 5 minutes prevented
this from happening. I'm on the verge of tears.

Graham Mayor

Any forced closure of Word is considered a crash for this exercise, but as
you confirm, autorecovery is not foolproof. It is, however more consistent
with Word 2003 than earlier versions.