Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Confused Confused is offline

Default mail merge word cannot update locked fields

while attempting to mail merge word and excel only the greeting line for
invalid recipients is coming up and being placed on the letter. We used the
check for errors icon and we get the message the word cannot unlock fields.
How do I unlock the fields? I went under protection and nothing shows up.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See if you are encountering the problem described in the following KB
article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292155

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

confused wrote:
while attempting to mail merge word and excel only the greeting line for
invalid recipients is coming up and being placed on the letter. We used the
check for errors icon and we get the message the word cannot unlock fields.
How do I unlock the fields? I went under protection and nothing shows up.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Confused Confused is offline

Thanks Peter....however the solution did not resolve my issues. I'm
attempting to perform a basic mail merge, I wrote a letter and i'm attempting
to merge the clients name in the greeting, the list of clients is on an excel
sheet. The names do not appear, only the Dear Sir or Madam from the "Greeting
line for invalid recepient names".....

confused wrote:
while attempting to mail merge word and excel only the greeting line for
invalid recipients is coming up and being placed on the letter. We used the
check for errors icon and we get the message the word cannot unlock fields.
How do I unlock the fields? I went under protection and nothing shows up.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

To try to see what is going on, what if you start by creating a mail
merge main document that has nothing except the greeting? Try merging
that to a new document, and see what happens.

If that goes OK, insert one new merge field, do the merge again, and see
what happens.

Alternatively, you can despam my email address (take the "KillmapS" out
of ) and email me your mail merge main
document, and I'll see if I can spot any obvious problems.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk